U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 02:17 PM

160 posts, read 278,227 times

Advertisements

I just wanted to know what is the attitude towards alcohol in US.
It seems that generally it is frowned up when someone is drinking in America.
But I think it can be fun to drink sometimes some beer. So - opinions please.

P.S. I'm not American.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 02:23 PM

3,047 posts, read 8,144,309 times
In Chicago, it's not looked down upon at all! it's not cool or a status symbol. It's seen as a staple at any dinner, sporting event, or concert. Beer is a major industry in america that almost every single household spends tons of money on every year. In fact, it's probably the one industry in america right now that is actually enjoying increased sales in thanks to that poor economy and high unemployment rate.

it's not looked down upon at all. it's perfectly accepted and "the norm." in fact, if you weren't drinking beer, people would look at you funny (in a club, bar, etc.)

Old 10-17-2008, 02:24 PM

2,370 posts, read 7,000,533 times
Only very select religious groups have anything wrong with alcohol. Most Americans have no issues with drinking. I'd like to think we DO take drinking and driving pretty seriously compared to other places but other than that, drink up!!!

Old 10-17-2008, 02:31 PM

196 posts, read 914,756 times
Beer is probably America's most popular drink

and to go along with what At1 said...I have increased my purchasing and consumption of beer recently lol

We just had a bunch of Oktoberfest celebrations in my area and a Belgian Beer Expo...

Also, most major cities in America are home to quality craft brewers....

The industry is booming

Old 10-17-2008, 02:59 PM

641 posts, read 2,160,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paparaciii View Post

P.S. I'm not American.
Lol wut? Tap da keg brahhh!

Old 10-17-2008, 03:14 PM

4,036 posts, read 8,949,725 times
It's not looked down upon, but people in the States don't drink nearly as much as people in Europe do. I remember visiting a friend's parents in England while I was in college and being shocked at how much they drank: at least two gin and tonics before dinner, half a bottle of wine (each) with dinner, and at least two scotch and sodas after dinner. They drank that way every night and it didn't seem to be unusual or a problem. In the States, if you drink seven drinks a day, every day, you're considered at least a borderline alcoholic.

Americans don't associate alcohol with eating at home the way Europeans do. I think alcohol here is reserved for celebrations, social gatherings, other relaxation (especially watching sports) and eating in restaurants. I love a good scotch after dinner, but it's usually on a special occasion a few times a year.

Old 10-17-2008, 03:22 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,072,408 times
It's not looked down upon, but there are certain differences. First is that the minimum drinking age everywhere is 21. All other aspects of alcohol sale and consumption are governed by state laws, and in some places, voters are more anti-alcohol than in others.

For example in Utah, restrictions on alcohol consumption are much more severe than anywhere else. Utah has a large population of LDS, whose religion prohibits alcohol. In some states, shops may not sell alcohol on Sundays, either the whole day or until noon. On Indian land, alcohol is generally illegal. Some Indian nations only prohibit the sale of alcohol, while others proscribe even possession or importation for personal use. Then there are laws on where alcohol may be sold. Some states allow the sale of alcohol in drug stores and supermarkets; others restrict it to special shops. In Pennsylvania, beer may be purchased only from special stores that sell only beef, and only in large boxes. If you went a single serving of beer, you have to go to a bar or a restaurant.

Old 10-17-2008, 03:40 PM

521 posts, read 1,492,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paparaciii View Post

P.S. I'm not American.
Alcohol is NOT frowned upon at all in the US. In fact, its probably looked as the "happy feel good potion." I would check your sources, or your senses, because you are incredibly wrong.
For instance, here in California, San Diego specifically, alcohol is looked at positively by all ages. During the day people generally have a drink or so during lunch, and a have a few more at night to party and have a good time. Alcohol, whether its beer/wine/hard stuff, is a social thing. Americans generally however, especially the older they are, do not generally drink alcohol to get smashed. The younger generations...yes. Alcohol is generally looked as a way to party and to have a really great time. The older you get however, especially if you went through those drunken fraternity college years, the less those people get drunk to party like a rockstar.
Im not going to generalize your country, but I will say that just because older Americans may not hit the tonic as much as yours, doesnt mean drinking is "frowned upon" here!

Utah has gotta be the exception to the US though. The whole state has a stigma and alcohol is frowned upon. The state treats alcohol drinkers as if they were little children who are headed the wrong direction. The state is just anal though. I would never want to live in a society like that again. Dont ever go to Utah. Utah=two thumbs down.

Last edited by wesside; 10-17-2008 at 03:51 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 10-17-2008, 03:50 PM

604 posts, read 1,667,590 times
beer america's most popular drink? i think coffee and water take the top two spots haha

Old 10-17-2008, 05:47 PM

1,018 posts, read 3,729,292 times
America basically walks around in a drunken stupor. Maybe not as much as England, or even France with its wine, or Germany, but we're pretty much a nation of borrachos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or