U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2012, 09:53 PM

14 posts, read 32,636 times

Advertisements

Kentucky, West Virginia, Arkansas, South Carolina, Mississippi.. All pretty country
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 02:54 PM

9,467 posts, read 12,298,316 times
Any Southern State that doesn't have a 1ST Tier Major League Sports Team is the "Most Country" That would be WV...Virginia...South CarolinaAlabama...........................Mississippi..... ...... Arkansas.......Kentucky(Louisana has NOLA and Major League Sports)....Texas has a whole boat load of Major League Professional Sports .....Oklahoma also has Major League Professional Sports.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:27 PM

7,653 posts, read 15,327,023 times
Although I've never been to the south, pretty sure it's Mississippi.

Louisiana has New Orleans and Baton Rouge.

Texas has a ton of large cities.

Even Alabama has Birmingham and Huntsville.

And what does Mississippi have? Biloxi? Jackson? Yazoo City? Columbus? Montgomery? All pretty small, provincial cities.

Also:

Faith Hill - Mississippi Girl (Official Video) - YouTube

Old 03-09-2012, 10:05 PM

6,564 posts, read 8,091,974 times
Bama all the way. Tn a close second, Mississippi/georgia tied for third

Old 03-09-2012, 10:13 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,873,308 times
I would agree with the person that says to look at the states that have the most rural areas and the fewest cities. Real country people like to live in the country.

That being said: Mississippi is the only place where I have ever felt uncomfortable and unsafe if you don't count the neighborhood in Tampa, Florida, we accidently ended up in when we took the wrong exit off the interstate. We all know Florida is not included in this, right? We try to make sure we can make it through Mississippi before dark. We ended up on a road in Arkansas that was big enough for one car going in one direction. There were places to pull over when you were meeting another car. We saw some of the strangest driving on the interstates in Arkansas. If you see someone coming down the ramp on an interstate in Arkansas, you had better move over because they take for granted that you are going to.

There are some really small dirt roads in the mountains of North Carolina too. We were exploring near the Blue Ridge Parkway one day and ended up on a road (or trail) that went through the middle of a meadow and except for the tracks on the grass and the marks on the map, one would never have known it was really a road.

I am curious as to why you ask this question?

My first thought when I saw this thread was Alabama.

Last edited by NCN; 03-09-2012 at 10:30 PM..

Old 03-10-2012, 05:16 PM

14,752 posts, read 28,596,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonwood2420 View Post
Mississippi.
Yes, Mississippi.

When you see those USA polls on school scores, teen pregnancies, illiteracy, and such...it is always at, or near, the top of the list.

Adjacent Southern states are the next ones on the list....but Georgia is pulled out of the list by virtue of the metro Atlanta area.

On the flip side, you guessed it, the better social indicators tend to show up in the Upper Midwest and in New England.

Last edited by robertpolyglot; 03-10-2012 at 06:20 PM..

Old 03-10-2012, 09:17 PM

12,050 posts, read 11,140,781 times
This one needs to come with a poll. It's Mississippi folks. A Mississippi girl don't change her ways for no one! Country to the bone. Legend has it that a man tried to build a city in Mississippi once. They burned him out. They tore down his buildings, ripped up the roads, and then ran him out of the state. They said if he wanted to act like a Yankee, he could go live with them! Down here, we keep it country ya'all! (loud Rebel yell). Some say they had some sweet potato pie afterwards to celebrate, but I think that's just embellishment.

Old 03-10-2012, 09:25 PM

20,846 posts, read 35,927,262 times
Kentucky is just extremely country in culture overall. It makes sense considering 30% of the state population resides in rural areas, one of the highest percentages in the US.

Old 03-23-2012, 05:19 PM

177 posts, read 210,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Although I've never been to the south, pretty sure it's Mississippi.

Louisiana has New Orleans and Baton Rouge.

Texas has a ton of large cities.

Even Alabama has Birmingham and Huntsville.

And what does Mississippi have? Biloxi? Jackson? Yazoo City? Columbus? Montgomery? All pretty small, provincial cities.

Also:

Faith Hill - Mississippi Girl (Official Video) - YouTube
Texas is a huge state look outside the urban triangle into true rural texas and i guarantee you folk will see texas is the most country i toured the south. bama is a close second behind texas in terms of most rural especially southern bama. and dont sleep on hill country amazing its as green as east tex.

Old 03-23-2012, 05:24 PM

177 posts, read 210,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Kentucky is just extremely country in culture overall. It makes sense considering 30% of the state population resides in rural areas, one of the highest percentages in the US.
texas has the highest rural population outside the urban triangle. and even inside the triangle there is a decent amount of rural communities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.