U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 11:25 PM

9 posts, read 49,505 times

Advertisements

On a related note, does anyone here actually know anyone who uses extremely bad grammar and any of those comical colloquialisms or sayings beyond "aint".

Maybe it's an isolation thing more relevant to the remote and shrinking populations of appalachia, the interior west, etc.

Where I live in College Station a lot of people have accents and a few identify with that country/southern thing but reality is we are only 50 miles to Houston and Austin.

Last edited by boredinTX; 10-18-2008 at 11:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2008, 11:33 PM

4,552 posts, read 13,457,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Gotta disagree, DS. West Texas (other than the El Paso area) is more "Southern" than "Southwestern."

I dont consider West Texas Southern or Southwestern, I dont know what category to put it into-just the Plains I guess, I Dont know, but I do agree with El Paso being the only place in Texas that could be considered Southwestern, Im going to Amarillo on Tuesday so I'll take some pics and post em.

Old 10-19-2008, 06:50 AM

10,167 posts, read 17,117,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
I dont consider West Texas Southern or Southwestern, I dont know what category to put it into-just the Plains I guess, I Dont know, but I do agree with El Paso being the only place in Texas that could be considered Southwestern, Im going to Amarillo on Tuesday so I'll take some pics and post em.
That's why I always preferred the term "Western South" (as opposed to "Southwestern") to describe the general historical and cultural characteristics of most of West Texas. It was overwhelmingly settled by folks from the older Southern states and thus is the dominating influence (noting of course that the hispanic population boom in relatively recent years has made an impact). I didn't coin that term (Western South) by the way. I first ran across it while reading a book by Raymond Gastil titled "Cultural Regions of the United States." His thesis as concerns this area of Texas (which also took in large areas of Oklahoma) ala' the label was -- in a nutshell -- this sub-region was essentially the South, yet had many "western frontier" qualities blended in (something generally lack in the "Eastern South"..which began in East Texas).

Interesting you mention Amarillo. The upper-Texas Panhandle is another part of Texas that -- like the El Paso vicinity -- is often considered an "odd man out" in relation to the general history and culture of the rest of the state. In this case, it had a heavy settlement by folks from the Lower Midwest and this element is said to be very evident (I haven't ever really been there, so can't say).

Old 10-19-2008, 07:19 AM

6,749 posts, read 19,954,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Buddists don't recognize the authority of the PopeJews don't recognize the authority of the New Testament
Southern Baptists don't recognize each other in liquor stores!

I thought it was Hooter's! LOL

Old 10-19-2008, 07:21 AM

3,133 posts, read 8,336,452 times
I've only spent time in a few southern states and out of those I say South Carolina.

Old 10-19-2008, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
Actually, I consider myself a Carolina girl all around. I wasnt looking for a reason, but the term "hick" when one reads a post kind of jumps out, especially when one's state of birth (and where much of one's family still resides) is mentioned.
FYI, the term "Hick" and "Hillbilly" is insulting, even when referring to those areas that are poor. People, especially in NC, get very, very tired of being called those things.
As far as rural, please define that. Many of those in my particular area that are tucked away in the "rural" regions are actually the ones that are most wealthy. Usually in the form of horse people.
That is true. I don't think that some people realize that the term hick is insulting.

Old 10-19-2008, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
In terms of the HIGHEST total percentage of the population that does not reside in metropolitan or micropolitan areas the winners are:
Kentucky
Mississippi
Arkansas
West Virginia
Is that in order?

Old 10-19-2008, 07:58 AM

2,779 posts, read 6,688,146 times
I don't know about all the South since I haven't made it everywhere yet. But truly I don't know of anyone who uses bad grammar relentlessly. Other than the occasional "aint" most people will make fun of you for bad grammar (or just look at you strangely). I use colloquialisms quite a bit just for fun around people that know me. I cut it off with strangers.

Most people you run into during the course of the day aren't going to jump all over you like a puppy dog. For the most part they are courteous, however, I don't see so many who just strike up conversations suddenly and start telling me their family history, etc. Most people I have experience with I have had to get to know more personally to become privy to their private lives. And there is just not time for all that in the course of a day.

There are people I know well enough to have deep meaningful conversations with. The average acquaintance, no. Sports, weather, politics and the economy seem to be the general topics of people around here. Oh, and hunting and fishing. Not much else really. Really religion is in the personal relationship category to me. Oh, there are a few occasionally who want to pick your brain on that, but really it is unusual.

I am referring to the people of north Louisiana and south Arkansas who are people I see everyday in my job. I've seen them for years now and there isn't much you can tell me about these folks.

Believe me, I have met all kinds of people in this little corner of the world. I don't see a great deal of difference in them and the people elsewhere.

Old 10-19-2008, 08:14 AM

10,167 posts, read 17,117,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
I thought it was Hooter's! LOL
LOL Maybe the joke has been updated since I first heard it!

Old 10-19-2008, 09:25 AM

3,742 posts, read 6,905,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
Actually, I consider myself a Carolina girl all around. I wasnt looking for a reason, but the term "hick" when one reads a post kind of jumps out, especially when one's state of birth (and where much of one's family still resides) is mentioned.
FYI, the term "Hick" and "Hillbilly" is insulting, even when referring to those areas that are poor. People, especially in NC, get very, very tired of being called those things.
As far as rural, please define that. Many of those in my particular area that are tucked away in the "rural" regions are actually the ones that are most wealthy. Usually in the form of horse people.
Rural regions are any part of a state that is not in the metropolitan area of a major city. in the country, so to speak. And don't blame the terms on me, and don't attack me for saying them...as far as i'm concerned, you are the first person to take offense to the term. Most people I know don't get bothered by it. And I'm not saying all rural regions in the south are poor, but the vast majority of them are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.