Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 11:28 AM

3,742 posts, read 8,395,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
And most of the people you know live where?? Missouri? If so, MUCH different from the Carolina's dear.
Or perhaps the people you're speaking down here to are simply not correcting you, but are thinking you're a jerk behind your back. I know my family and their neighbors find this term very offensive.I have seen strangers such as yourself use the terms "hillbilly" and " hick" within a group and be instantly shut out because of it.

Just because you arent corrected on the use of a word doesnt mean you havent peeved somebody off. Our manners generally rule our behavior down here.

I suggest, sir, you take note of them and employ them yourself.
Whatever. If the words bother you that much, then I'm sorry, that was not the intention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2008, 11:38 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,463,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
I am too. Fourth generation. So we might make a friendly bet with each other on this 'un!

I am not trying to be a "smartass" or anything, so please don't take it that way, but how long has your "family" been in Texas? Honestly, I have yet to meet a Texan whose lines extend any further back than second generation, who doesn't make sweet tea at home. And again, with all due respect, I can understand why that you living in North Dallas might, IMHO, have a lot of influence on your observations.

Here is an interesting article on the subject:

Tyler Paper - Tyler Morning Telegraph

And again, my friendly bet stands!
Oh we go way way back here in Texas. 1800s. All branches of the family. I really don't know any of them that have ever made Sweet Tea. I notice it because I am an Unsweet Tea Drinker myself. My relatives are really all into that other sweet Texas drink - Dr. Pepper!

Old 10-19-2008, 11:52 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,606,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
Oh we go way way back here in Texas. 1800s. All branches of the family. I really don't know any of them that have ever made Sweet Tea. I notice it because I am an Unsweet Tea Drinker myself. My relatives are really all into that other sweet Texas drink - Dr. Pepper!
LOL On a Texas forum poll started a while back, the one considered the "official" state drink of Texas (by those who voted) was "sweet tea". Dr. Pepper was a fairly close second. I went back and looked up that thread a bit ago and, since it never officially "closed", Dr. Pepper is now in first place! At the time the votes were counted though, Sweet Tea easily won.

Anyway, I am trying to figure out how we can make this a bet and "prove" our respective positions. Gimme a minute or two...

Old 10-19-2008, 12:31 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times
Quote:
LOL On a Texas forum poll started a while back, the one considered the "official" state drink of Texas (by those who voted) was "sweet tea". Dr. Pepper was a fairly close second. I went back and looked up that thread a bit ago and, since it never officially "closed", Dr. Pepper is now in first place! At the time the votes were counted though, Sweet Tea easily won.

Anyway, I am trying to figure out how we can make this a bet and "prove" our respective positions. Gimme a minute or two...
Made in my hometown....WACO TEXAS!!!

Old 10-19-2008, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Made in my hometown....WACO TEXAS!!!
Yep, while all us Southerners generally use the generic term "coke" for soft drink...pausing just a minute to post the map...

http://popvssoda.com:2998/countystats/total-county.html

If one excludes Coca-Cola per se though, in Texas, Dr. Pepper is usually the answer when the question of "what kinda coke y'all want?" is asked! LOL

I think RC is very close if not more so than Dr. Pepper in the southeast though...?

You being from Waco, you might know if this is fact or urban legend. I always heard that the feller who "invented" Dr. Pepper was a "soda-jerk" working at a Waco drugstore back the day when a lot of drugstores in the South had a counter bar and grill. Anyway, he was courting a young lady whose father was a certain Dr. Claude Pepper. To impress her and win her "affections" he came up with a brew which became VERY popular, and named it after her father: Dr. Pepper!

Alas, as the story goes, she married another guy. Of course, given how the rest is history and millions of dollars...I have to wonder if she ended up regreting that decision? LOL

Last edited by TexasReb; 10-19-2008 at 01:48 PM..

Old 10-19-2008, 06:31 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,030,899 times
Quote:
LOL. Wellll, hon, I gotta admit (and hope it doesn't cost me my native Texan/Southern credentials), I actually PREFER unsweetened!

But such a thang definitely wasn't what I grew up drinking and that almost everyone I ever knew or visited served in their homes! That is to say, I was considered the "red-headed stepchild" when, at family reunions, I would go pour mine out that small rusty and dusty container with the "unsweetned" stuff!
Weirdo...must be all that hot sun in Texas..or the smell of all that oil that's made your tastebuds get out of whack....

Old 10-19-2008, 07:46 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,683,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
I don't know anyone who makes home brewed Sweet Tea and I am a native Texan.
Me neither! I drink green tea.

Old 10-19-2008, 08:45 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Quote:
I am too. Fourth generation. So we might make a friendly bet with each other on this 'un!

I am not trying to be a "smartass" or anything, so please don't take it that way, but how long has your "family" been in Texas? Honestly, I have yet to meet a Texan whose lines extend any further back than second generation, who doesn't make sweet tea at home. And again, with all due respect, I can understand why that you living in North Dallas might, IMHO, have a lot of influence on your observations.

Here is an interesting article on the subject:

Tyler Paper - Tyler Morning Telegraph

And again, my friendly bet stands!
Well you have obviusly not been in much of Texas where the people who have owned land since the spanish land grants before Texas was even a republic. There are vast by most standards holds of this type in Texas. Many spanish families in fact go back that far. Get in the rural areas of the hill country and you will see many county roads named for them many german names especially. I've had many hunting leases in both south and the hill country where the land goes back that far. On one the owner showed me the deed signed by San Houston when Texas became a republic. I was shocked that they keep it in a desk draw and folded in a whiite business envelope.What I found is that even if they live modestly many will keep passing the land to future generations as they will not sale.

Old 10-20-2008, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
Weirdo...must be all that hot sun in Texas..or the smell of all that oil that's made your tastebuds get out of whack....

LOL Well, for what it's worth, I sure did grow up drinking sweet tea as there really wasn't much other option at most of my friends and family's homes! I just never had much of a "sweet tooth" I guess. Oh don't get me wrong, I don't DISLIKE sweet tea at all. I just prefer it unsweetened!

Old 10-20-2008, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Well you have obviusly not been in much of Texas where the people who have owned land since the spanish land grants before Texas was even a republic. There are vast by most standards holds of this type in Texas. Many spanish families in fact go back that far. Get in the rural areas of the hill country and you will see many county roads named for them many german names especially. I've had many hunting leases in both south and the hill country where the land goes back that far. On one the owner showed me the deed signed by San Houston when Texas became a republic. I was shocked that they keep it in a desk draw and folded in a whiite business envelope.What I found is that even if they live modestly many will keep passing the land to future generations as they will not sale.
Not sure what you mean here, so perhaps you obviously may have misunderstood what I was talking about earlier. I have been all over Texas and am familiar with the land grant aspects and such. Very interesting history for sure (particularly that deed signed by Sam Houston!), but unsure how it is connected to what I was saying about sweet tea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.