Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 10:31 AM

10,238 posts, read 19,509,977 times

Advertisements

Ok...in re-reading some of my posts of last night, I can see that I came across somewhat rude and sarcastic. My excuse is that I probably misunderstood the OP's intentions as per the question. That is to say, I took the analogy presented ("Southern" and "country") as being deliberately provocative.

I think the OP could have phrased it differently (as "Southern" is not synonymous with "country"), but at the same time, I realize I was a bit hasty in judging the motives. And replied accordingly. For that, I apologize.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2008, 10:39 AM

6,870 posts, read 14,786,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Ok...in re-reading some of my posts of last night, I can see that I came across somewhat rude and sarcastic. My excuse is that I probably misunderstood the OP's intentions as per the question. That is to say, I took the analogy presented ("Southern" and "country") as being deliberately provocative.

I think the OP could have phrased it differently (as "Southern" is not synonymous with "country"), but at the same time, I realize I was a bit hasty in judging the motives. And replied accordingly. For that, I apologize.
I thought you were funny last night

Old 10-18-2008, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
I thought you were funny last night
Well, thanks, WestH. Still, as my dear ol' Southern Baptist granny would have told me: "Son? Stay away from the keyboard when you are drinking beer."

Actually, she wouldn't have said that. She wouldn't have minded at all me doing anything short of mayhem when it came to defending Texas and the South. She would have, though, objected to the beer drinking.

Reminds me of one of my favorite jokes (I can tell this 'un cos I am Southern Baptist):

Buddists don't recognize the authority of the Pope
Jews don't recognize the authority of the New Testament
Southern Baptists don't recognize each other in liquor stores!

Old 10-18-2008, 02:17 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,337,195 times
I honestly would have to pick either Arkansas or Tennessee. The Deep South is not "country" like the Upper South...I honestly don't think the Deep South has as many hicks as the Upper South. When I think country, I think hillbillies with Southern accents, Southern culture, a fiddle, and in hills. The Ozarks somewhat fit into this profile, but not really due to the fact they are an oasis for both the Midwest and Upper South. When I think "country", I think West Virginia, Kentucky, North Carolina, Tennessee, and Arkansas.

Old 10-18-2008, 06:06 PM

20,501 posts, read 33,317,609 times
It's not Texas, I know that. Not when the state is now becoming more urban/suburban than it is rural. I think it's out of Mississippi, Alabama, South Carolina, or Arkansas. I personally pick Mississippi.

Old 10-18-2008, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
It's not Texas, I know that. Not when the state is now becoming more urban/suburban than it is rural. I think it's out of Mississippi, Alabama, South Carolina, or Arkansas. I personally pick Mississippi.
I always respect and appreciate your opinions on things like this (and we generally agree), but I am not so sure on this one.

It would backtrack of course to question by what criteria one defines "country"?

Is it by urban vs. rural population ratios? In that case, you are right. Texas would be out of the running quickly. OR...can it be defined as the percentage of country music stations to rap or modern day rock? In which case, Texas is right up there. In fact, as was sorta alluded to earlier, when the "South" is defined by the number of times a state is mentioned in country music lyrics, and where country music stars were born, then the "western" and "upper" South become the "deep South"! LOL

Anyway, point is...what standards are being used to define "country"?

Old 10-18-2008, 06:26 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,496,294 times
I think that mississppi;alabama;Louisana and sotuh carolina are the most southern. Country that is hard to say because country can mean so many things. All you have to do is here there butter smooth accents to figureout that is the real south.I mean you have country in amny northern states and western states.

Old 10-18-2008, 06:44 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,633,692 times
By "country" I'm assuming the OP means areas that are extremely rural and isolated, provincial, uneducated, backwards, and/or hickish and poverty-stricken. Now why the OP wants this to be a Southern state is beyond me. I don't know that any single entire state qualifies. I would think there are rural areas like this all over the country, including outside the South. Now if he's asking which Southern state is the most Southern, that's another thing and ground that's already been covered about a thousand times on here.

Old 10-18-2008, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
By "country" I'm assuming the OP means areas that are extremely rural and isolated, provincial, uneducated, backwards, and/or hickish and poverty-stricken. Now why the OP wants this to be a Southern state is beyond me. I don't know that any single entire state qualifies. I would think there are rural areas like this all over the country, including outside the South. Now if he's asking which Southern state is the most Southern, that's another thing and ground that's already been covered about a thousand times on here.
That is what I assumed originally last night, and replied accordingly. Then, this morning, I got to thinking maybe I was wrong. And apologized accordingly. NOW...I call upon the OP to clarify.

I don't have a problem at all with linking my South with "country". Because to me, it calls up memories of those old cotton fields back home and comfort food and catfishing and canepoles. Yep. That's country, and its Southern. And I wouldn't trade it, as Charlie Pride once said, for a mansion in Prague.

If, on the other hand, the intent is to link it to ignorance and backwardness? Then I call upon whomever is so ignorant in their own smug right to do so, to just step right up to the plate and explain themselves so the matter can be discussed!... and

Old 10-18-2008, 08:18 PM

26,374 posts, read 46,217,550 times
In terms of the HIGHEST total percentage of the population that does not reside in metropolitan or micropolitan areas the winners are:
Kentucky
Mississippi
Arkansas
West Virginia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.