U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 06:12 AM

5,438 posts, read 10,514,588 times

Advertisements

Wow, 4 cities are located in Ohio. Not very good for peoples perception of Ohio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 08:41 AM

5,481 posts, read 10,393,867 times
Quote:
1. Detroit, MI
2. St. Louis, MO
3. Kansas City, MO
4. Memphis, TN
5. Cincinnati, OH
Ranger, on your list above-why #'s 2-5? Have they changed that much in the last 5 years since I have last visited on regular basis? All #'s 2-5 seem to have in common is downtowns holding their own or struggling a little , some bad/ghetto hoods, many decent neighborhoods and thriving suburban growth. Please explain your list.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:11 AM

5,721 posts, read 9,084,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Ranger, on your list above-why #'s 2-5? Have they changed that much in the last 5 years since I have last visited on regular basis? All #'s 2-5 seem to have in common is downtowns holding their own or struggling a little , some bad/ghetto hoods, many decent neighborhoods and thriving suburban growth. Please explain your list.
As much as it pains me to say this, I'd have to agree that Kansas City is hardly on the way out. It has more than its share of problems but a lack of growth is not one of them.

The Cincinnati area is growing though the city proper has some problems with crime and out migration to neighboring counties. But it is hardly dying as evidenced by the new development taking place in the city along the riverfront and in NKY.

Old 10-21-2008, 06:35 PM

7,129 posts, read 9,898,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
No, northern New England will not see much growth due to the fact that COL is quite high, good paying jobs are fairly scarce, and a lot of the land is preserved as conservation, which will not be developed.
I hope you are right about northern New England. I did not mean to imply that all of New England or the South was going to be developed.

But what about southern New England? There still is some nice countryside down there like the Berkshires, Litchfield County and the Quiet Corner. I will hate to see these surviving rural areas heavily ruined and developed.

I know older people down here in the NY area who remember farms in Queens let alone where are now suburbs in NJ or LI. Ask a long time resident how Florida or California has developed in just 25 years let alone 50 years. Many will say not for the better.

Old 10-22-2008, 10:06 AM

725 posts, read 1,839,994 times
Wow, Ohio seems to be falling out a lot. Four of their cities top that list.
They seem to top every list.

Old 10-22-2008, 10:16 AM

3,326 posts, read 7,746,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerDuke08 View Post
My list of fast-dying or die-fast major cities:

1. Detroit, MI
2. St. Louis, MO
3. Kansas City, MO
4. Memphis, TN
5. Cincinnati, OH
Kansas City's population was around 450k last census. Current estimates put it at over 500k. Their has been no annexation take place in decades.
The downtown area has also been heavily revitalized in recent years. It also has one of the most solid economies in the midwest. It's not nearly as stagnant as St. Louis.
Not dying at all... far from it.

Old 10-22-2008, 04:25 PM

1,071 posts, read 4,017,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
The Cincinnati area is growing though the city proper has some problems with crime and out migration to neighboring counties. But it is hardly dying as evidenced by the new development taking place in the city along the riverfront and in NKY.
if people are leaving the city due to crime, and the suburbs are growing, that sounds like the city is dying.

Old 10-22-2008, 04:26 PM

2,927 posts, read 7,571,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
America's fastest-dying cities - Buy a House: MLS Listings & Home Buying Tips - MSN Real Estate (http://realestate.msn.com/Buying/Article_forbes.aspx?cp-documentid=9579218&GT1=45000 - broken link)

Top five:
1. Canton, OH
2. Youngstown, OH
3. Flint, MI
4. Scranton, PA (sorry, Scran-Barre!)
5. Dayton, OH

Rounding out the top ten are:
6. Cleveland, OH
7. Springfield, MA
8. Buffalo, NY
9. Detroit, MI
10. Charleston, WV
Not a surprise to me at all. Especially the top 5. I know lots of people from Ohio that have moved to KY within the past 5 years alone.

Old 10-22-2008, 06:22 PM

909 posts, read 2,704,226 times
Default my list based on my oppinion

Heres my list of regions or states that are dying.

1. Appalachia (beautiful area, but the most poverty stricken area in the US. very sad, but true)
2. West Virginia (one of the most poorest states in the US if not the most. beautiful state, but no economy at all)
3. Southern Illinois (relied on coal mining and railroads just like West Virginia, then those industries died)
4. Lake Erie and Lake Ontario cities (old factories and abandond ware houses no longer in use)
5. Ozark Mountains (similar to appalachia but not to extreme extent)
6. Rust Belt (slowly coming back but still dying)
7. The heart of the South
8. California (on the very beggining of a huge fall on the economy)
9. New Jersey (the whole state is made of old, rusting, dying suburbs. No major cities whatsoever)
10. Loisianna (hurricanes have ruined this state and the city of New Orleans)

Old 10-22-2008, 06:27 PM

3,326 posts, read 7,746,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision-Quest View Post
Heres my list of regions or states that are dying.

1. Appalachia (beautiful area, but the most poverty stricken area in the US. very sad, but true)
2. West Virginia (one of the most poorest states in the US if not the most. beautiful state, but no economy at all)
3. Southern Illinois (relied on coal mining and railroads just like West Virginia, then those industries died)
4. Lake Erie and Lake Ontario cities (old factories and abandond ware houses no longer in use)
5. Ozark Mountains (similar to appalachia but not to extreme extent)
6. Rust Belt (slowly coming back but still dying)
7. The heart of the South
8. California (on the very beggining of a huge fall on the economy)
9. New Jersey (the whole state is made of old, rusting, dying suburbs. No major cities whatsoever)
10. Loisianna (hurricanes have ruined this state and the city of New Orleans)
The Ozarks are growing at a fast rate, actually. Northwest Arkansas is booming, and is easily the fastest-growing part of the state. In Missouri, the Springfield-Branson corridor is also one of the fastest-growing parts of it's state.
Outside of those, even the rural areas have several retirement villages that are thriving, and many people of all ages move to that general region from all over the country, not the least of which is Californians, who have pretty much single-handedly made northwest Arkansas as big as it is.
Aside from that, some of the natives are still impoverished. That goes back several generations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.