U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 06:27 PM

909 posts, read 2,705,637 times

Advertisements

How can Kansas City be dying? Its topped St. Louis as Missouri's biggest city over the last century. St. Louis has a larger metro, but Kansas City has a better economy. Two great cities, but has some of the worst drivers i've ever seen. Plenty of stories behind that on I-70 and I-35. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 06:35 PM

351 posts, read 541,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerDuke08 View Post
My list of fast-dying or die-fast major cities:

1. Detroit, MI
2. St. Louis, MO
3. Kansas City, MO
4. Memphis, TN
5. Cincinnati, OH
Fail.

Old 10-22-2008, 06:42 PM

351 posts, read 541,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
Kansas City's population was around 450k last census. Current estimates put it at over 500k. Their has been no annexation take place in decades.
The downtown area has also been heavily revitalized in recent years. It also has one of the most solid economies in the midwest. It's not nearly as stagnant as St. Louis.
Not dying at all... far from it.
Well don't get crazy. The Kansas City economy is actually pretty troubled right now. It's not in the tank, but businesses are bailing and the overall economy situation is pretty crappy. And St. Louis isn't nearly as "stagnant" as you perceive it to be. Steady, maybe. But not stagnant. St. Louis has been able to avoid a lot of the housing troubles because of it's steady market growth. And any business its losing is part of the blessed transition from an old manufacturing economy to a service-based economy. St. Louis is doing what the rust belt never learned how to do: diversify and transition. Kansas City was lucky enough to avoid the manufacturing crunch of other midwestern cities only because it's a newer city and it's economy is built around most prosperous industries. The STL region has a pretty sunny outlook, as does KC. Suffice to say, Missouri has been guided by a pretty progressive, pro-business approach lately. I just hope governor-to-be Nixon doesn't, if you'll pardon the expression, nix all of that.

Old 10-22-2008, 06:45 PM

1,137 posts, read 2,050,728 times
what's up with Ohio?

Old 10-22-2008, 07:12 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,085 posts, read 11,455,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision-Quest View Post
Heres my list of regions or states that are dying.

1. Appalachia (beautiful area, but the most poverty stricken area in the US. very sad, but true)
2. West Virginia (one of the most poorest states in the US if not the most. beautiful state, but no economy at all)
3. Southern Illinois (relied on coal mining and railroads just like West Virginia, then those industries died)
4. Lake Erie and Lake Ontario cities (old factories and abandond ware houses no longer in use)
5. Ozark Mountains (similar to appalachia but not to extreme extent)
6. Rust Belt (slowly coming back but still dying)
7. The heart of the South
8. California (on the very beggining of a huge fall on the economy)
9. New Jersey (the whole state is made of old, rusting, dying suburbs. No major cities whatsoever)
10. Loisianna (hurricanes have ruined this state and the city of New Orleans)

I didn't realize that about West Virginia. I was wondering why it was on the list.

I thought NJ didn't need a major city really due to proximity to NYC. Don't a lot of people there commute to NYC for jobs? Can the state be said to be dying really?

Old 10-22-2008, 07:17 PM

30,220 posts, read 67,365,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
I didn't realize that about West Virginia. I was wondering why it was on the list.

I thought NJ didn't need a major city really due to proximity to NYC. Don't a lot of people there commute to NYC for jobs? Can the state be said to be dying really?
NJ is far from dying. It is one of the most affluent states in the nation (often tied with MD and CT), yet its residents still continue to whine about how they are "struggling" to stay afloat financially.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:42 PM

5,812 posts, read 16,661,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerDuke08 View Post
My list of fast-dying or die-fast major cities:

1. Detroit, MI
2. St. Louis, MO
3. Kansas City, MO
4. Memphis, TN
5. Cincinnati, OH
St. Louis is not dying.
1980: 2,377,000
1990: 2,492,348
2000: 2,698,687
Percent change, 19902000: 4.6%

That's the St. Louis Metro Population.

The city seems to be staying about steady since 2000, slightly growing. It did lose population for a long time, probably mostly to the suburbs. St. Louis has issues, as do most cities right now. But dying? I don't think so?

I know that St. Louisans seem to tend to put down St. Louis more than anyone else, but I don't think St. Louis is dying. The city is on the rise again.

Old 10-22-2008, 10:13 PM

20,852 posts, read 35,970,544 times
Kansas City loves to sprawl across huge stretches of farmland and annex land (like it did in the recent past). However, the economy in KC is not really much better compared with many other cities in the Plains and Midwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.