U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 11:37 AM

8,121 posts, read 17,355,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by familymom View Post
Mr Floyd, still in the same position, stuck in Nj, afraid to walk away from a stable job that pays well for the field, just not well enough for Nj living. I forgot about this thread and it's kinda nice to re-read it. I think many people are looking for a change and want to explore different areas, just a very hard thing to uproot and really do. I give a lot of credit to anyone who does it with a family.
I agree with you, and I think it'se even tougher for those who live in New Jersey than other areas, because New Jersey is very unique in terms of lifestyle, relative to other states. We moved away from New Jersey five years ago, and it was incredibly difficult. Now, we are going to move again. The reason to do it is out of rationality, that is to say, incredible job opportunities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 11:44 AM

12,391 posts, read 24,612,988 times
where are you moving to? Is it somewhere nice that your other families would be attracted to? Just saying b/c if you go, and you are say son/daughter and worried about your parents. I have seen several cases where the parents will move to be closer to them and understand there are no jobs where they currently are, etc. Me and my gf both went away from where our families are b/c the job market is weak in both places. My mom and step dad have thrown out the idea of moving closer to me if I am sure I am going to stay there for awhile. Some places are great to grow up or raise a family, but not good for those who are raised once they need to be into the work force and start their own lives.

Old 08-03-2010, 12:59 PM

5,256 posts, read 11,983,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by familymom View Post
Mr Floyd, still in the same position, stuck in Nj, afraid to walk away from a stable job that pays well for the field, just not well enough for Nj living. I forgot about this thread and it's kinda nice to re-read it. I think many people are looking for a change and want to explore different areas, just a very hard thing to uproot and really do. I give a lot of credit to anyone who does it with a family.
Where are you looking to move exactly?
I know as soon as next year arrives, I'm going to be on my way out of NJ. I love the state for what it is, but it's not worth paying that much for it (especially since I don't use NYC very often to even make the expenses seem worth it). I'm undecided on where I'm going to move but it's mainly between Albany/Syracuse and Delaware/Maryland.

Have you looked into DE by any chance? Not far from NJ at all and it's one of the most comfortably fitted states when it comes to the salary's and COL. I don't know if you're also aware, but DE doesn't assess sales tax on anything.

Old 08-03-2010, 06:52 PM

529 posts, read 1,024,854 times
Stay in Jersey! i miss it so much.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:30 PM

5,100 posts, read 6,876,447 times
Stay close to family, but don't let them hold you back
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.