U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 10:14 PM
2dc 2dc started this thread

87 posts, read 382,792 times

Advertisements

I wanted to know what your definition of the Northeast or "East Coast" is? Mine is anything north of Washington DC> Boston MA>Maine and everything in between. Would you consider places such as Pittsburgh, PA or Buffalo, NY as the Northeast? Personally Pittsburgh feels more midwestern than east coast. Really though when people talk about east coast liberals they are usually talking about DC, Philly, NYC, and Boston AKA the "Northeast Corridor".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2008, 10:42 PM

7,131 posts, read 9,901,913 times
I agree with your definition of everything north of DC including New England, New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania. DC itself, Maryland and Delaware still have some Southern influence and are actually unique in that way.

Its probably best to keep regional boundaries at the state line. Just say western PA and NY have a midwestern vibe and Ohio seems a bit like the NE.

However I am not sure why the North is artificially divided at the Ohio-PA border anyway while the South goes all the way from Texas to the East Coast. IMHO the Great Lake states and the Northeast have alot in common.

Old 10-18-2008, 11:07 PM

3,506 posts, read 7,311,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I agree with your definition of everything north of DC including New England, New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania. DC itself, Maryland and Delaware still have some Southern influence and are actually unique in that way.

Its probably best to keep regional boundaries at the state line. Just say western PA and NY have a midwestern vibe and Ohio seems a bit like the NE.

However I am not sure why the North is artificially divided at the Ohio-PA border anyway while the South goes all the way from Texas to the East Coast. IMHO the Great Lake states and the Northeast have alot in common.
I think Chicago have something in common with some Northeastern cities like Philly, Boston, and to an extent NYC especially when it comes to racial demographics. Have you ever notice that Chicago area is the only midwestern city that have a hispanic population over 1 million and a large enough South Asian population.

Old 10-18-2008, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
I think Chicago have something in common with some Northeastern cities like Philly, Boston, and to an extent NYC especially when it comes to racial demographics. Have you ever notice that Chicago area is the only midwestern city that have a hispanic population over 1 million and a large enough South Asian population.
Yeah I agree, there is somrthing in common. I am not saying exactly but I associate Chicago, NY and even Toronto together for some reason. Also there are hilly farm areas in Ohio that remind me of Pennyslvania (I love PA!) and some small towns in Wisconsin that look a bit like upstate NY towns. And of course the upper Michigan peninsula looks like part of the Adirondacks or even Maine.

Old 10-18-2008, 11:31 PM

774 posts, read 1,695,968 times
Quote:

Actually, the Ohio-PA border divides the Northeast from the Midwest, which are both part of the North. Chicago, St. Louis, and Cleveland are Northern cities. Personally, I consider DC northward, including Pittsburgh and Buffalo, part of the Northeast. Although Maryland is below the Mason-Dixon Line, it is pretty far north on the map. I believe culturally, it retains some Southern traits with Northeast traits.

Old 10-19-2008, 12:22 AM

2,116 posts, read 4,201,193 times
Newfoundland

Old 10-19-2008, 09:30 AM

10,167 posts, read 17,110,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dc View Post
I wanted to know what your definition of the Northeast or "East Coast" is? Mine is anything north of Washington DC> Boston MA>Maine and everything in between. Would you consider places such as Pittsburgh, PA or Buffalo, NY as the Northeast? Personally Pittsburgh feels more midwestern than east coast. Really though when people talk about east coast liberals they are usually talking about DC, Philly, NYC, and Boston AKA the "Northeast Corridor".
While I have never been there (which limits my understanding and crendentials on the matter), speaking as a Texan/Southerner, I always pretty much defined it as by what the U.S. Census Bureau says. To wit:

http://www.census.gov/geo/www/us_regdiv.pdf

BUT...I would place Maryland and Delaware in the general NE as well. Just on a related tangent, I think New England is a definite unique sub-region of the Northeast.

Old 10-19-2008, 10:33 AM

2,237 posts, read 6,565,301 times
How many times must we have this debate?!

In my opinion the Northeast = All of New England, NY, NJ, PA, DE, MD, DC and NOVA.

As a person from Pittsburgh, I'm still struggling to figure out what is Midwestern about it. Pittsburgh is East Coast-Appalachia.

Old 10-19-2008, 04:24 PM

2,296 posts, read 3,396,020 times
Quote:

Northeasterners tend to have this "edge" when it comes to their personalities that Midwesterners lack amongst other things.

Old 10-19-2008, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
Newfoundland
Greenland!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or