U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 05:15 PM

3,326 posts, read 7,747,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturelover17 View Post
Thanks for the lovely photos, STLCardsBlues1989! Missouri seems really beautiful! Since you live in Southeastern Missouri, do you happen to know anything about Arkansas?
I grew up in Arkansas, and have lived in Missouri.
I much prefer Missouri, for a variety of reasons. The taxes are generally much lower, for one. Missouri politics aren't nearly as lopsided as Arkansas'. Arkansas is roughly 90% Democrat, though they tend to be somewhat conservative.
Real estate prices are similar. I believe that Missouri is much more a livestock state than Arkansas, though the latter does have a good bit. The eastern third of Arkansas is pretty much entirely crop land.

Coming from California, you might not see much difference in culture between the two, though those who live there are quick to point out the differences. The further north you go in Missouri, the more likely you are to see some snow in the winter, though nowhere in Missouri really gets all that much. The northern most regions only get 20-30 inches a year on average.
The further south you go in Arkansas, the less likely you are to see any snow at all. Some of the northern regions usually get a little each year.
One year when I lived in Little Rock, we got no frozen precipitation at all. That was the last straw for me. I had to go north after that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2008, 05:53 PM

5,812 posts, read 16,651,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturelover17 View Post
Thanks for the lovely photos, STLCardsBlues1989! Missouri seems really beautiful! Since you live in Southeastern Missouri, do you happen to know anything about Arkansas?
Honestly, nothing. Arkansas is about an hour away, but I haven't been there probably for years. I have no reason to go into Arkansas.

I live northwest of the bootheel. The area I live in is mostly Ozarks and hills. Not so much farmland, but a lot of grazing. My neighbors across the street have cows and a mule. But in the bootheel south and east of Poplar Bluff the land gets flat and is probably better for farming. There's a lot of cotton, beans, corn, all kinds of crops grown there. A lot of the Ozarks are a little too rocky for farming. Grazing I would think they'd be fine, though. I don't know much about northern Missouri.

Around here we probably don't accumulate even 10 inches of snow a year, but the area around St. Louis can get 20 or more (occasionally).

Old 11-01-2008, 06:00 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,231,932 times
Do you know anything about goats? The don't chew off the vegetation, they pull it up by the roots, which tends to turn your land into a desert.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:23 AM

1,669 posts, read 5,599,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Do you know anything about goats? The don't chew off the vegetation, they pull it up by the roots, which tends to turn your land into a desert.
Somebody must have forgot to tell that to my dads goats. They keep the grass/weeds short, but their field/pasture is still always covered in green.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:39 AM

32,371 posts, read 59,807,408 times
I've always wanted to raise goats myself. My chosen location would be central North Carolina, around Asheboro.

Old 01-06-2011, 04:08 PM

1 posts, read 3,226 times
What would be the best environment for goats..I live in arizona & am planning on moving but am not sure where! Either northern CA or back to my home town in ohio. I've been wanting to raise a few goats for years. Any ideas?

Old 02-22-2011, 04:43 AM

1 posts, read 3,165 times
I'm looking at either Southern Missouri or Kentucky/West Virginia. I'd like to farm full time, either dairy or raise for meat, but I don't know how to start from scratch.

Old 01-07-2014, 03:09 PM

1 posts, read 2,455 times
Folks,
Goats do not need a flat groung (filed), as found in midwest.
Best land price I found is in california.

Old 01-07-2014, 05:46 PM

560 posts, read 1,010,232 times
I know this is an old thread but....
Texas leads the US in sheep and goat production. The southwestern part of the state to be specific. Land is cheap in that area, but there is a reason for that...
Texas Goat Inventory Thematic Map
http://www.usda.gov/nass/PUBS/TODAYRPT/shep0213.pdf

Old 01-07-2014, 08:02 PM

150 posts, read 306,735 times
Idaho
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or