U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer: Suburban, Urban or Rural?
Suburban 22 27.85%
Urban 22 27.85%
Rural 28 35.44%
Other (if I missed a designation) 7 8.86%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 12:20 PM
j33

4,625 posts, read 12,866,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
This crap doesn't belong in the city. I know it is very popular with suburbanites, but can't they just let the city be a city? It is so sad to see our fine old 1920s and 1930s neighborhoods be retrofitted to look like a post-war suburb!

No kidding. There is a bank on the corner by me with a drive through that always causes problems because it is such a pedestrian heavy street that they had to put up a sign reminding people to watch for people using the drive though. If I had my way, I'd ban stores with parking in the front between the sidewalk and the store and drive-thru's in dense urban areas (especially since they never let you use them unless you are in a car).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2007, 10:22 PM

10,189 posts, read 24,910,412 times
While 74 is not a very large cohort, it appears as of today (February 24) not much difference in voting among the three: rural, urban and suburban. Rural has a slight edge. A few members would have liked exurban; and 7 members have coined a new category, "small town."

Thanks to all for participating.

Old 02-24-2007, 10:32 PM
j33

4,625 posts, read 12,866,572 times
You are welcome. The pole was enlightening, it is so easy to assume, because you are surrounded by those who share your living preferences, they are much more common than they really are.

Old 03-01-2007, 01:33 PM

4,489 posts, read 6,786,244 times
I get the thought/impression of suburbs as nothing more than sophisicated/glorified shanty-towns.

Old 03-01-2007, 04:10 PM

414 posts, read 1,469,558 times
Suburban, because it has enough of the good aspects of rural/city living without the bad ones.

Good aspects of 'burbs: restaurants, shopping, movies, activities, trees, flowers, safety. I'm sure there are more which I left out.

Bad aspects of 'burbs: driving everywhere, lack of excitement, nosey neighbors.

Good aspects of rural living: natural beauty, peaceful lifestyle, freedom from scrutiny, space.

Bad aspects of rural: wild animals, isolation, inconvenience, being totally self-reliant about fixing things, emergencies, etc.

Good aspects of city living: convenience, excitement, shopping, activities, cultural events, restaurants, anonymity.

Bad aspects of city living: vermin (See articles about rats in NYC restaurants. Roaches are big enough that said rats must carry switchblades), noise, overcrowded public transportation and restaurants, overcrowded doctors' schedules and high medical care, high taxes.

Most places have high housing costs so I left that one out.

All in all, I prefer the 'burbs.

Old 03-01-2007, 04:54 PM

87,002 posts, read 102,581,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
I get the thought/impression of suburbs as nothing more than sophisicated/glorified shanty-towns.
I'm not sure where that comes from. I grew up on the outskirts of one city, Pittsburgh, have lived most of my adult life in a suburb of Denver. I have also lived in both of those cities, as well as in some other suburbs and smallish cities.

The big complaint about the suburbs from the city-lovers is that there is no culture. This is simply untrue. Even my mill-town hometown had community theater, community orchestra, and events at the local small college. Here in Colorado, most suburbs have the same, and arts organizations in the city and suburbs receiver tax support from a metro-area wide tax to support the arts and scientific facilities. Virtually all communities have libraries. All the houses do not look the same, nor are they all built by the same builders. Most suburbs here, the majority of which are actually incorportated as cities, have community festivals and recreation centers. We have a big Labor Day festival in Louisville with the second largest Labor Day parade in Colorado, a pet parade for the kids, craft booths, etc. We also have a 4th of July festival at the main city park with free brats and hotdogs, cooked by memebers of the city staff, and a parade of lights in December. Did I mention a park? Virtually all the suburbs have parks.

I like the suburban school systems (most of them), the lighter traffice load, and the chance to have a garden in my backyard. I also like my above ground pool, hammock, and playing croquet in the yard in summer. Suburbs attract families, so the schools are close by and the kids usually have other kids their age to play with.

Unlike many urban dwellers, I am willing to give the "city mice" their cities and live and let live without insulting their choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or