Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer: Suburban, Urban or Rural?
Suburban 22 27.85%
Urban 22 27.85%
Rural 28 35.44%
Other (if I missed a designation) 7 8.86%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 05:07 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,082,651 times

Advertisements

eh, that study only focused on new yorkers. but I do know that not having a car and walking all over the place has certainly been good for me. Surely it can't be a bad thing for my health that I average a mile and a half of walking a day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2007, 07:55 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,573,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpotsie View Post
I grew up in a "quaint" little New England town where virtualy eceryone was white. My high school had less than 10 minorities out of 800 kids. The town was virtually crime free. While I appreciate this so-called "healthy" environment, I felt very sheltered. When they wanted to build a CVS in the middle of town, everyone was in an uproar because it would "disturb the town's character." Gimme a break!!!! I have since moved to a diverse, major city of over 1 million people. I love my life because I am getting more of an education just living life than I had all of those formal years of schooling. Oh, yes, and there's plenty of things to do all the time without everyone gossiping! URBAN all the way!
wpotsie--I live in the city too, and I'm not crazy about CVS. They just arrived here in Mpls/St Paul a couple years ago and they set up their suburban-style "big boxes" among small 1920s storefronts, completely blowing the ambiance of the surrounding neighborhood. On one street, they drove out a small, family owned drug store that had been a cornerstone of the neighborhood for years. IMHO, CVS and the like belong in the burbs, not in the city, and not in small towns.

Old 02-22-2007, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayeagley View Post
so can shoveling horse manure !
Um, let's see, walking in the city or shoveling horse manure... I'll take the city!

Old 02-22-2007, 09:35 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,112,167 times
I, too, will take walking!

Old 02-23-2007, 09:50 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
wpotsie--I live in the city too, and I'm not crazy about CVS. They just arrived here in Mpls/St Paul a couple years ago and they set up their suburban-style "big boxes" among small 1920s storefronts, completely blowing the ambiance of the surrounding neighborhood. On one street, they drove out a small, family owned drug store that had been a cornerstone of the neighborhood for years. IMHO, CVS and the like belong in the burbs, not in the city, and not in small towns.
You'd cry if you came here to Pittston, Pennsylvania, a town that's repeatedly been tearing down historic buildings left and right to make room for not only a CVS, but also a Rite-Aid, Burger King, and a few other "suburban-style" structures in the heart of its once-historic downtown. The city is now on its last heartbeat, and the younger, educated, Progressive people who have the power to save it, including myself and most of my friends, plan to PUNISH our past generations for their lack of foresight by moving to greener pastures (Scranton, in my case, as I can see they are generally committed to historic preservation).

Old 02-23-2007, 10:20 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,685,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
Urban. I like the vitality. I enjoy being able to walk to restaurants (and for those restaurants to be somewhat unique rather than the usual Denny's, Chili's, Applebees, etc.), the grocery store, the local park and to be able to have the option to bike or take public transport if I desire. I like the streetlife, seeing people actually out and about. I like having cultural amenities at my disposal, things like museums, independent movie theatres, symphonies, university guest lectures, professional sporting events and rock concerts. I like the convenience and the excitement that generally comes with living in an urban area.
Urban, for these same reason.

Old 02-23-2007, 10:37 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayeagley View Post
so can shoveling horse manure !
Ah, now there's some incentive to move out to the countryside!

Just foolin' with you!

Old 02-23-2007, 10:57 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,082,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Ah, now there's some incentive to move out to the countryside!
Right. Come for the wide open spaces, stay for the manure you have to shovel to keep 'em that way!

Old 02-23-2007, 10:59 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
Right. Come for the wide open spaces, stay for the manure you have to shovel to keep 'em that way!
Who's up for some cow-pie bingo?! MOOOOO!!!

Old 02-23-2007, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
You'd cry if you came here to Pittston, Pennsylvania, a town that's repeatedly been tearing down historic buildings left and right to make room for not only a CVS, but also a Rite-Aid, Burger King, and a few other "suburban-style" structures in the heart of its once-historic downtown. The city is now on its last heartbeat, and the younger, educated, Progressive people who have the power to save it, including myself and most of my friends, plan to PUNISH our past generations for their lack of foresight by moving to greener pastures (Scranton, in my case, as I can see they are generally committed to historic preservation).
Sorry to hear this about Pittston. Unfortunately, this is a very common story these days.

In my city neighborhood, they've built a big new Walgreen's at a major intersection complete with a drive up window, huge parking lot and fake windows on the street sides of the building (the real windows face the parking lot). They just don't get it. Meanwhile, on another corner, they've built a new bank with drive-in banking windows.

This crap doesn't belong in the city. I know it is very popular with suburbanites, but can't they just let the city be a city? It is so sad to see our fine old 1920s and 1930s neighborhoods be retrofitted to look like a post-war suburb!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.