U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Houston or Inland Empire?
Houston 63 67.74%
Inland Empire 30 32.26%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 07:02 AM

3,618 posts, read 1,569,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
Ontario seems to practically be a part of Metro LA (if you need to work there or want to have fun or a day, short drive to Pomona, relaxing 1 hr train ride to Union Station. The hiking in the area is phenomenal. I'll take IE, so long as I can handle the additional COL. Especially if one lived in the Woodlands. It's shorter to get to an Angels, Ducks, UCLA game, Disney, etc. from Ontario than it is to get to Houston from Woodlands, or at least it appears that way. Also, Pacific Ocean closer to Ontario than Gulf to North Houston, so I'd have to think only legit question here is COL difference.
An hour drive is not a short trip by any means, I think this poll should be more about comparing something like the woodlands or a Houston suburb and the inland empire. My sister lives in Houston and rents a beautiful place with a pool with palm trees, orange and lemon and lime trees in her yard and is 10-15 minutes from everything, minute maid park, nrg stadium, hermann park , the museum district.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2016, 03:10 PM

18,927 posts, read 6,885,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
Ontario seems to practically be a part of Metro LA (if you need to work there or want to have fun or a day, short drive to Pomona, relaxing 1 hr train ride to Union Station. The hiking in the area is phenomenal. I'll take IE, so long as I can handle the additional COL. Especially if one lived in the Woodlands. It's shorter to get to an Angels, Ducks, UCLA game, Disney, etc. from Ontario than it is to get to Houston from Woodlands, or at least it appears that way. Also, Pacific Ocean closer to Ontario than Gulf to North Houston, so I'd have to think only legit question here is COL difference.
Ontario IS part of Greater LA, I don't know why the US Census Bureau considers it a different metro

Old 11-02-2016, 09:43 AM

17,711 posts, read 4,087,824 times
Houston

Old 11-02-2016, 05:32 PM

13,403 posts, read 21,212,304 times
I faced a similar choice. IE or Texas. I had no desire whatsoever to live in the IE and work in downtown LA. Other than access to outdoor activities, Houston hands down all day everyday.

Old 11-03-2016, 06:31 AM

3,788 posts, read 3,011,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
An hour drive is not a short trip by any means, I think this poll should be more about comparing something like the woodlands or a Houston suburb and the inland empire. My sister lives in Houston and rents a beautiful place with a pool with palm trees, orange and lemon and lime trees in her yard and is 10-15 minutes from everything, minute maid park, nrg stadium, hermann park , the museum district.
Not saying an hour is short, but realistically, if taken at right time OP could get to significant cultural, entertainment, and natural settings within 45 minutes that don't quite exist in Houston IMO, at least not on the scale of LA. I mean, right now I live 45 minutes from Tampa, and that's optimistic drive times, and yet I'm still up there quite frequently, and so I wouldn't let even an hour drive limit me from exploring LA Metro/Pacific Coast. Also, mountains are even closer than that to the mountains, like 20 minutes or so to where the trail for 10,000 ft Mt. Baldy starts. Also, in that part of the IE, in general, I know there are exceptions but in general, climate data suggests Ontario's weather is better.

So, different strokes for different folks, but apart from traffic (which isn't a joke in Houston either) and affordability, I would take Ontario any day to Sunday, even over closer in Houston. Not saying your wrong, that's just my thought. Houston on average I would guess is more lush/green than LA, I won't argue that, apart from perhaps immediately by the coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or