Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Houston or Inland Empire?
Houston 63 67.74%
Inland Empire 30 32.26%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 10:23 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,146,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
The OP is referring to The Woodlands. She(?) posted about her choices in another thread.

When I hear North Houston I think Cy-Fair, Spring, Humble, etc.... but even those would be further broken down into NW or NE. The Heights is central Houston to me.
Yeah, Houston has this weird problem with neighborhood/region naming seeing as it's all sprawled out, large and relatively new. But I agree, when I think North Houston I think of the same places you do. The loop is central.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2008, 11:07 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,898,943 times
Inland Empire has to be the biggest dump I have ever seen. There are maybe 4 or 5 consistently nice areas (Rancho is one of them), and they are blandly nice at that. Houston has the IE trumped for a much, much lower price. The main thing IE has going for it is it's proximity to LA. Rancho Cucamonga isn't all that different from a moderate part of north Houston anyhow and Ontario is a dump.

Old 10-21-2008, 12:09 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,306,923 times
Default Ie

Both places suck. But the IE still beats the pants off Houston. On a nice day, it can look quite nice:

I-10 to I-15:

Temecula:

I-215:

Downtown Riverside:

Redlands:

Mt Baldy:

A ski area:

Old 10-21-2008, 07:01 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,681,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Both places suck. But the IE still beats the pants off Houston. On a nice day, it can look quite nice:
"Nice" freeway shots. Oh, was I supposed to be looking at the mountains?

Judging from these pics and the ones in the TW photo threads in the Houston forum, both places look hella boring. In The Woodlands there's Market Street, the Woodlands Mall, and the Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion, an outdoor concert venue, and that's about it in the way of entertainment. The surrounding area leaving the insular Woodlands also turns into Hicksville very fast, unless you're heading back south into the city, then it's just more sprawling suburbs and disgusting sprawl, till you hit the loop, where the sprawl is much more contained and lessened to the point of being practically nonexistent in some areas, and just far more aesthetically pleasing where it does exist, as it is more integrated into the city neighborhoods. (Yes, Houston actually has neighborhoods, not just suburbs! I know that's hard to believe, but it's true!) It's also where most of the good stuff --arts and culture, restaurants, bars, clubs, boutiques, etc.-- is. You've got a tough decision ahead of you, OP! Good luck with it.

Last edited by houstoner; 10-21-2008 at 07:18 AM..

Old 10-15-2016, 12:39 PM

53 posts, read 82,602 times
I choose The Inland Empire, i'm more of a nature person than a Texan who needs a mcmansion to think they're sucessful.

Old 10-15-2016, 01:57 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,596,838 times
Inland Empire, I am moving to SoCal in a couple years, and even though I am mainly looking to settle in inland north Orange Co, I have Pomona and Ontario on the long list. Houston weather is very humid and unpleasant

Old 10-15-2016, 03:01 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,973,115 times
Houston

Old 10-15-2016, 11:17 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
So an 8 year old thread was brought up to say something negative about Houston.

Old 10-15-2016, 11:20 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,811,816 times
The Inland Empire is almost exactly like where I live. Temperatures are near identical, dry... the difference is that the IE is slightly more grassy (as a transitional area between Mediterranean and hot desert climate) and has snow-peaked mountains. At the end of the day I could probably move to the IE and not feel like I really left home. Which is why I will never move there because I don't see the point of moving to California unless I'm going to be by the coast, the IE, like I said is a lot like Phoenix and there's no point of the additional costs.

But, I would pick the IE over Houston at the end of the day. Houston just does not appeal to me in the slightest, would probably hate living there.

Old 10-16-2016, 04:42 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,596,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
The Inland Empire is almost exactly like where I live. Temperatures are near identical, dry... the difference is that the IE is slightly more grassy (as a transitional area between Mediterranean and hot desert climate) and has snow-peaked mountains. At the end of the day I could probably move to the IE and not feel like I really left home. Which is why I will never move there because I don't see the point of moving to California unless I'm going to be by the coast, the IE, like I said is a lot like Phoenix and there's no point of the additional costs.

But, I would pick the IE over Houston at the end of the day. Houston just does not appeal to me in the slightest, would probably hate living there.
If you look at avgs, summer in the "real" inland empire (i.e. the part west of the mountains) is a cakewalk compared to Phoenix. Highs in the mid 90's and more importantly low's in the low to mid 60's. And no rain either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.