U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: SEC between Auburn, Tennessee ad Arkansas
Auburn 6 19.35%
Tennessee 19 61.29%
Arkansas 6 19.35%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 08:05 PM

2,015 posts, read 5,012,605 times

Advertisements

Out of these three what would be your choice? Based on well mostly football and school atmosphere but not to forget to balance it off with academics and reputation. Volunteers, Tigers or Razorbacks? Why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 06:48 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,004,896 times
Seeing as how I am a Razorback...I'd go with them!

UofA isn't just a football school. There is great history in basketball (rebuilding year right now) and stellar history in track and cross country (the winningest program in NCAA history).

Fayetteville is an excellent town. Fairly liberal leaning with plenty of social outlets and a beautiful landscape with TONS of outdoor activities in very close proximity ranging from hiking, fishing to full blown wilderness. Fall on the UofA campus is excellent. The backdrop of fine architecture against lots and lots of fiery maple trees will stick with you for the rest of your life. One of the MOST unique practices in all of college academics resides at the University of Arkansas, all graduates have their name permanently engraved in the sidewalks on campus.

The campus is loaded with anecdotal history from the spoofing stone, the unlucky class (don't step on their section of the walk!), to the tale of the Union sympathetic builder of Old Main who flipped the plans drawn up by the Confederate sympathizing architect to place the taller of the two towers on the northern side! True or not...the north tower is taller and it makes for a very colorful story!

Academics wise, University of Arkansas' stock is rising in many areas: nanotechnology, business, and photonics are areas of study that have received notable attention and funding. If you wanted to study space sciences, UofA has probably the only dedicated space and planetary sciences program in the SEC: Arkansas Center for Space & Planetary Sciences - University of Arkansas

Old 10-21-2008, 07:39 AM

28,905 posts, read 46,829,387 times
Hey, War Eagle.

Actually, Auburn is one of the top forty public universities in the country, has a great campus, and really has an excellent liberal arts program. It's Ludwig Von Mises economics school is world renowned, and it churns out astronauts by the boxcars. What's more, when it comes to football, the fans aren't a bunch of knuckle-dragging, tobaccy-chawing, inbred halftwits.

The other two schools are fine. I just think Auburn rocks. And I didn't even attend school there.

Old 10-21-2008, 01:39 PM

1,018 posts, read 3,732,057 times
I didn't know any SEC schools outside of Vandy and Auburn had academics; I thought they were just football revenue-generating machines (or hoops in Kentucky's case).

I have no affliation with any of these schools, and my vote is Auburn by gigantic leaps and bounds. However, their football program consistently underachieves - but currently is in better condition than Arkansas or Tenn.

Old 10-21-2008, 04:02 PM

608 posts, read 1,276,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Shaft View Post
I didn't know any SEC schools outside of Vandy and Auburn had academics; I thought they were just football revenue-generating machines (or hoops in Kentucky's case).
No, you're completely correct. As a student who attends the University of Tennessee, I'm comfortable in saying that I merely spend my time promoting the athletic program - this whole "going to class" and "getting an education" concept is completely foreign to me.

Quote:
I have no affliation with any of these schools, and my vote is Auburn by gigantic leaps and bounds.
It'd be a shame if you actually said why…

Quote:
However, their football program consistently underachieves - but currently is in better condition than Arkansas or Tenn.
Auburn is marginally better than UT this year - nothing to write home about. In terms of history and tradition, there's no comparison.

Old 10-21-2008, 05:48 PM

2,015 posts, read 5,012,605 times
I voted Tennessee mainly because from Knoxville, a great central location to drive to Nashville, Lexington, Atlanta and Charlotte and right next to the Smokeys there are a lot to do on the weekends besides football in the Fall. The students at the school all seem very happy, guess the environment is just really laid-back, sports and party more than academics.

Arkansas on the other hand has almost half the students of all the other SEC schools it's something like 14,000 vs 28,000 at Tennessee for example yet the endowment is ginormous due to the Walton family something like 800 million, while Tennessee tops that at 1 Billion if you divide the funds amongst the number of students Arkansas has great potential. Vanderbilt in comparison probably the highest ranked Southern school and SEC school in academics, yet a door mat for football, has 3.4 billion in endowment and about half that enrollment of Tennessee as well.

Auburn well great atmosphere, the higher ranked amongst these three (#96) by USNEWS Tennessee (#108) Arkansas (#125), probably best football team amongst these three as well, but I'm going to have to place it a close third as Auburn being the smallest town of the three does somewhat turn into a ghost town on weekends after football season. And it all does boil down to money as much as schools are a business nowadays, with Auburn having only about 400 million in endowment and almost as large a student population as Tennessee, the USNEWS rankings might fluctuate a bit next year.

Last edited by RangerDuke08; 10-21-2008 at 05:59 PM..

Old 10-21-2008, 06:05 PM

608 posts, read 1,276,115 times
I try not to put too much stock into the US News rankings, simply because so much of their system is subjective. Tennessee was #96 just last year, so it's difficult to believe that the university has done anything to deserve being knocked down 12 spots in a 12-month span.

Old 10-21-2008, 07:28 PM

28,905 posts, read 46,829,387 times
However, at Auburn, the minimum ACT score for acceptance is a 23. At the University of Alabama, the minimum ACT score is a 19. I believe that says a lot.

Old 10-21-2008, 07:59 PM

7,489 posts, read 10,109,240 times
I'm a Georgia native, a loyal Bulldog fan as far as sports go, and went to a small private school. However, if I were given the chance to go back and do it all again and someone offered a free scholarship to any of the SEC schools, I believe I would pick Auburn.

I say this from the vantage point of knowing many Auburn grads and appreciat3 their character and view on life. I like the academic soundness of the school, but moreso the worldview of those coming from there. It has an aura of maintaining the gentility and hospitality of the old south mingled with a forward thinking stance academically. Being a conservative is not a death knell on this campus, can't say that for many of the state universities these days.

Old 10-21-2008, 08:05 PM

2,898 posts, read 2,886,602 times
I have visited all 3 schools and they are all very nice. I chose UT Knoxville because of it's location in a mid sized city. Knoxville is a fun city, at least I thought so during visits there. Fayetteville and Auburn are very nice also. All 3 schools are pretty good academically and are filled will hot girls too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.