U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-21-2008, 03:00 PM
 
Location: Strathclyde & Málaga
2,980 posts, read 7,288,476 times
Reputation: 1853

Advertisements

*bite* ROFL!

Northern NM looks nice too but these Western states all seem so expensive! lol

I would stick to the GJ area or Utah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-21-2008, 03:04 PM
 
Location: in purgurtory in London
3,721 posts, read 3,489,787 times
Reputation: 1292
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscotsman View Post
My Pleasure
Not you silly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2008, 03:05 PM
 
Location: Cheshire, UK
306 posts, read 1,061,356 times
Reputation: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
*bite* ROFL!

Northern NM looks nice too but these Western states all seem so expensive! lol

I would stick to the GJ area or Utah.
They are expensive, but you have to take into fact that Gas prices are low, taxes are low, no 18%vat. No TV license. No council tax. Clothing is lower. Basically most things are lower in price. And, taking £ into $ helps a lot. So it may be more affordable then you think,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2008, 03:16 PM
 
Location: in purgurtory in London
3,721 posts, read 3,489,787 times
Reputation: 1292
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
Okay, so I used an extreme example, but it can be like that. I have a close friend with family in GJ and she's done that drive 100s of times from just north of Denver and it has taken her 4 hours to get there! Most of I-70 is only 2 lanes wide and if you get stuck behind an 18-wheeler or RV or there's a bottleneck at the Tunnel . . . well, you get the picture. On the other hand, it is a beautiful drive even in Winter - when the road and weather are clear. And if you like to ski I-70 will get you to almost every resort in Colorado, incl Breckenridge, Aspen, Vail or Winter Park.
I figured you were giving the worst scenario. I've visited Vail, and Breckenridge in the summer and winter and only been to Aspen in the winter. One time I had to be back in LA by a certain date and because of bad weather we couldn't fly out of Aspen because of bad weather, so we drove from Aspen to Denver...Yikes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2008, 03:20 PM
 
Location: in purgurtory in London
3,721 posts, read 3,489,787 times
Reputation: 1292
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterflyUK View Post
They are expensive, but you have to take into fact that Gas prices are low, taxes are low, no 18%vat. No TV license. No council tax. Clothing is lower. Basically most things are lower in price. And, taking £ into $ helps a lot. So it may be more affordable then you think,
Either way you look at it the amount of money she's talking is plenty to live good in any of the western states. You always get more bang for your bucks in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2008, 03:48 PM
 
Location: Colorado
4,308 posts, read 11,801,772 times
Reputation: 4425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy dee Ann View Post
I figured you were giving the worst scenario. I've visited Vail, and Breckenridge in the summer and winter and only been to Aspen in the winter. One time I had to be back in LA by a certain date and because of bad weather we couldn't fly out of Aspen because of bad weather, so we drove from Aspen to Denver...Yikes!
I know what you mean! I drove from Steamboat to Denver one September and it had snowed the night before in the mountains - that was exciting . Looks like we're getting snow tonight. The Front Range is completely black right now and we've had lightning once already this afternoon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2008, 05:04 PM
 
Location: in purgurtory in London
3,721 posts, read 3,489,787 times
Reputation: 1292
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
I know what you mean! I drove from Steamboat to Denver one September and it had snowed the night before in the mountains - that was exciting . Looks like we're getting snow tonight. The Front Range is completely black right now and we've had lightning once already this afternoon.
Snow in September? The first time I went to Aspen was thanksgiving of 1989 or 90 - can't remember, but they had to bring in the snow machines on Thanksgiving day as there wasn't enough snow on butter milk mountain where we were. I believe it started snowing the next day. The most awesome thing? Being in a hot tub outside in the dark with the snow covered mountains surrounding you....Priceless, but couldn't live there all winter long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2008, 07:34 PM
 
Location: too far from the sea
19,830 posts, read 18,839,234 times
Reputation: 33729
Look at getting a fiance visa and start the process now.

Agree.We're doing the reverse and I haven't seen my UK fiance since this past NOVEMBER! Immigration process is HELL. $130,000 is a lot of money over here so you'll be fine if you're making that much combined.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2008, 02:04 AM
 
Location: Strathclyde & Málaga
2,980 posts, read 7,288,476 times
Reputation: 1853
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Look at getting a fiance visa and start the process now.

Agree.We're doing the reverse and I haven't seen my UK fiance since this past NOVEMBER! Immigration process is HELL. $130,000 is a lot of money over here so you'll be fine if you're making that much combined.
Sheesh that is a LONG time, how are you coping? Im dreading him moving to CO without me i'll really miss him terribly.

I just hope that I don't regret moving there eventually. My degree at university is going to take me 3 years and i've heard that I can use it in America to become a nurse. Is the pay good there? I don't know much about UT either, doesn't look like theres alot going on near the CO border. Maybe we should just stick to CO?

I think the cost of living will be alot lower than here for sure
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2008, 08:11 AM
 
Location: Colorado
4,308 posts, read 11,801,772 times
Reputation: 4425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
Sheesh that is a LONG time, how are you coping? Im dreading him moving to CO without me i'll really miss him terribly.

I just hope that I don't regret moving there eventually. My degree at university is going to take me 3 years and i've heard that I can use it in America to become a nurse. Is the pay good there? I don't know much about UT either, doesn't look like theres alot going on near the CO border. Maybe we should just stick to CO?

I think the cost of living will be alot lower than here for sure
Living in the US is whatever you make of it. I think if you come here with the determination to make it a good life, then you'll succeed brilliantly. I came here in 1995 to stay for "just a couple of years" and look at me now. Whilst nowhere is perfect, and sometimes it drives me crazy, it can also be a great experience.

I don't know for sure but I think the pay for nurses here is better than the UK (heck, where ISN'T it better than the UK?) and it is definitely a growth industry!

FYI: it snowed here last night. Probably not even 1" but now it's sunny, windy and about 6ºC. A lovely brisk day to go for a walk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top