U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-21-2008, 11:49 AM
 
Location: Texas
43,534 posts, read 52,626,787 times
Reputation: 70762

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
places like philly, Chicago, new york, etc. have millions of people living in a tiny area you tend to live rushed lives and don't have much time, tact, manners, or respect for others (strangers) because everyone is on the move and there are simply too many people to smile at or stop and talk to on the sidewalk or wave at, etc.

so whatever you do, don't take offense to people seeming crude or rude to you. they just don't know you and have things to do and a limited time to do them. the change of pace is what will shock you. just don't take things personally and observe. walk/act with confidence and a purpose and you will fit right in.

Good Luck to you.
They "don't have time" to have manners? What do you think we do here? Sit around drinking moonshine with a piece of straw in our teeth?

We all have busy lives. I spent years working 100 to 120 hours a week. Blaming the rudeness of notherners on their busy schedules is a total cop-out. Why not just admit that it's a cultural difference based on different beliefs and attitudes towards strangers?

I see my fellow Texans and Americans as my community and in a sense, part of my family. I wish them well, and I sure as heck have time to smile or wave or help them at any opportunity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-21-2008, 11:52 AM
 
Location: Houston Texas
2,898 posts, read 2,876,772 times
Reputation: 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Cut back on use of the N word.
You are very ignorant if you believe this
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2008, 11:54 AM
 
Location: South Carolina
3,398 posts, read 7,142,172 times
Reputation: 2845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
You may be surprised at what you will find. Sweet 'tater pie, make em' all the time. Sweet tea is to be had as well. Eye contact with strangers isn't common? Who told you that? Around here (West Michigan) and up in Maine where I was it is very common.

Grits and Collard greens are going to be a bit harder to find, and don't expect them on a menu. Just like black eyed peas. In this area, black eyed peas are pig food (no joke, I about died laughing the first time I went someplace in Texas and they served them.)

Fried chicken on the other hand is all over, and just as good as I ever had in the South. In this area we have regular fried chicken and most places have "broasted" chicken as well. Think fried chicken, except moister on the inside and crispier on the outside. And cobbler... All over. Depends on what the area grows for fresh fruit as to that areas "specialty" cobbler. In this area apple and peach are the two biggest. Come on up without worries. Some foods will not be here, but there are others to make up for the ones that are missing. Some others might surprise you that we have. I just finished an original moon pie and RC cola from my trip into town this morning.

Don't expect too spicy as a rule. "Hot" is more like mild, and "mild" is more like bland.
Oh good. I hate spicy food. Wont touch Mexican because of it...
Ive already told my mama that she's going to have to occasionally ship a box of grits and some Luzianne tea to me. LOL and her recipe for corn bread...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2008, 11:58 AM
 
Location: Chicago, Illinois
3,047 posts, read 8,137,063 times
Reputation: 1373
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
They "don't have time" to have manners? What do you think we do here? Sit around drinking moonshine with a piece of straw in our teeth?

We all have busy lives. I spent years working 100 to 120 hours a week. Blaming the rudeness of notherners on their busy schedules is a total cop-out. Why not just admit that it's a cultural difference based on different beliefs and attitudes towards strangers?

I see my fellow Texans and Americans as my community and in a sense, part of my family. I wish them well, and I sure as heck have time to smile or wave or help them at any opportunity.
you bring up a great point about the different cultural beliefs of strangers...that could be the key. great point.

but yea...sorry, i don't consider Texas as the South. I consider texas as Texas! it stands alone. it could be its' own country if need be with all those big cities (san antonio, houston, dallas, etc.) and all that oil.

i consider the south, the deep south, that being louisianna, mississippi, alabama, georgia, and south carolina. but to each their own. this is going to be a good thread with a lot of sound advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2008, 12:14 PM
 
Location: South Carolina
3,398 posts, read 7,142,172 times
Reputation: 2845
Eh, one part of Texas is Southern. The other isnt.

Any areas I'd want to stay away from in the states that are in my OP?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2008, 12:26 PM
 
10,167 posts, read 17,108,570 times
Reputation: 5741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
Eh, one part of Texas is Southern. The other isnt.
The only part that truly isn't is the trans-pecos (El Paso area). Even the rest of West Texas, although its physical geography is nothing like the classic South, is essentially Southern in terms of history and culture, having been overwhelmingly settled by people from the Southeast. The "western South" if you will!

Oh well, there are other threads for all that! LOL So sorry to interupt the main thrust. Good question, ColdDiamond, my friend and fellow Southerner!

Last edited by TexasReb; 10-21-2008 at 12:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2008, 12:27 PM
 
Location: Gringolandia
291 posts, read 785,875 times
Reputation: 630
Do these things and you should be OK:

1. Never put a confederate flag on your car.
2. Never invite anyone over to watch Nascar.
3. Never mention the War of Northern Agression.
4. Never walk around just whistling Dixie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2008, 12:28 PM
 
Location: los angeles
5,031 posts, read 11,305,646 times
Reputation: 1490
Like others have stated, you will be fine anywhere so don't worry. But there are some things that are never done for your information:

1. Never ask about people's religion [you will get blank stares or even irritability]
2. Don't ask where a good church is [ditto w/ the stares & agitation]. If you say you are a Christian you are inviting negative comments & people will avoid you.
3. If you are Republican don't admit it until you feel it is safe. You could lose friends & anger neighbors. Never put anything GOP on your car or yard if you want to avoid dog poop on handles\ car scratches.
4. Sadly some will question your accent & it won't be flattering but those people are slobs so you don't need them anyway. None-the-less, saying you are from the South will trigger stereotype put-down jokingly. But some will be serious in expressing negative things about the South & you may want to avoid talking about your state for a while.

Religion\ politics are mainly the areas to avoid unless you are not a Republican & are not an evangelical\Mormon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2008, 12:34 PM
 
Location: Southern Maryland
144 posts, read 362,378 times
Reputation: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
Like others have stated, you will be fine anywhere so don't worry. But there are some things that are never done for your information:

1. Never ask about people's religion [you will get blank stares or even irritability]
2. Don't ask where a good church is [ditto w/ the stares & agitation]. If you say you are a Christian you are inviting negative comments & people will avoid you.
3. If you are Republican don't admit it until you feel it is safe. You could lose friends & anger neighbors. Never put anything GOP on your car or yard if you want to avoid dog poop on handles\ car scratches.
4. Sadly some will question your accent & it won't be flattering but those people are slobs so you don't need them anyway. None-the-less, saying you are from the South will trigger stereotype put-down jokingly. But some will be serious in expressing negative things about the South & you may want to avoid talking about your state for a while.

Religion\ politics are mainly the areas to avoid unless you are not a Republican & are not an evangelical\Mormon

I was born and raised in New York and New England and find this post to be very steriotypically ignorant and wrong. The North (east) doesn't have the corner on atheism/liberalism/rudeness and can be found anywhere. I rarely if ever had any problems proclaiming my political views (I'm a diehard Republican), nor looked down on anyone from a different area of the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2008, 12:44 PM
 
Location: South Carolina
3,398 posts, read 7,142,172 times
Reputation: 2845
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
The only part that truly isn't is the trans-pecos (El Paso area). Even the rest of West Texas, although its physical geography is nothing like the classic South, is essentially Southern in terms of history and culture, having been overwhelmingly settled by people from the Southeast. The "western South" if you will!

Oh well, there are other threads for all that! LOL So sorry to interupt the main thrust. Good question, ColdDiamond, my friend!
LOL How did I know you'd show up, Tex?

Quote:
Originally Posted by garxhap View Post
Do these things and you should be OK:

1. Never put a confederate flag on your car.
2. Never invite anyone over to watch Nascar.
3. Never mention the War of Northern Agression.
4. Never walk around just whistling Dixie.
I do that just 'cause...habit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
Like others have stated, you will be fine anywhere so don't worry. But there are some things that are never done for your information:

1. Never ask about people's religion [you will get blank stares or even irritability] I dont do this anyway
2. Don't ask where a good church is [ditto w/ the stares & agitation] Wouldnt be doing this either unless I was new and was looking for one in my own denomination. If you say you are a Christian you are inviting negative comments & people will avoid you.
3. If you are Republican don't admit it until you feel it is safe. You could lose friends & anger neighbors. Never put anything GOP on your car or yard if you want to avoid dog poop on handles\ car scratches. The only bumper sticker I have is one of Oscar the Grouch

4. Sadly some will question your accent & it won't be flattering but those people are slobs so you don't need them anyway. None-the-less, saying you are from the South will trigger stereotype put-down jokingly. And IF they get irritating about it, I have no problems telling them to shut the hell up. I highly dislike being mocked.

But some will be serious in expressing negative things about the South & you may want to avoid talking about your state for a while.
I probably wont habitually talk about my state

Same as above.

Religion\ politics are mainly the areas to avoid unless you are not a Republican & are not an evangelical\Mormon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top