Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 01:20 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,261,841 times

Advertisements

ColdDiamond,
If you are generally a positive, considerate person you will do fine anywhere.
The question I have is how big is the town you currently live in vs. the size of town you move to. Yes there are regional nuances in this great, big country but I think it all boils down to several categories:
1) Big City
2) Suburban
3) Mid size city
4) Small Town
5) Rural
If you move up or down one number on my list the change is not as dramatic as if you jump 2 or 3 numbers up or down IMO.
I'm a Chicago area native all my life except for 1 year right out of college when I lived in LaGrange, GA and Memphis, TN.
I really enjoyed LaGrange once I got to know some people, learned to slow down a little and add a few minutes to my shopping trips to chat with the clerks. I didn't enjoy Memphis as much because it took longer to find friends to hang out with on the weekends.
I really enjoyed the food. Now the closest I come is Cracker Barrel and I know it's only reasonably close to the real thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 01:21 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,030,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
I have a Boston accent and I am mocked by my wife's Michigan family all the time.
Believe it or not most people up north are just the same as down south the difference is that we are catholic not baptist.
We don't eat grits, we eat clam chowdah, lobsta, and for some reason that I don't know of, a lot of Italian food.

Bluntness is considered refreshing up here so be yourself. And if you are nice and comfortable in your own skin people will be drawn to you wherever you go in life.
Bluntness gets me in trouble... Its something my mama never could quite break me of. She taught me to hold it back...but sometimes it still slips out.

Old 10-21-2008, 01:24 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,842,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
Is it going to be possible to find a Krispy Kreme anywhere in those areas??
Not in Boston!
Dunkin' Donuts. It's about the coffee here, not so much the doughnuts, so KK didn't make it.

Old 10-21-2008, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
ColdDiamond,
If you are generally a positive, considerate person you will do fine anywhere.
The question I have is how big is the town you currently live in vs. the size of town you move to. Yes there are regional nuances in this great, big country but I think it all boils down to several categories:
1) Big City
2) Suburban
3) Mid size city
4) Small Town
5) Rural
If you move up or down one number on my list the cahnge is not as dramatic as if you jump 2 or 3 numbers up or down IMO.
I'm a Chicago area native all my life except for 1 year right out of college when I lived in LaGrange, GA and Memphis, TN.
I really enjoyed LaGrange once I got to know some people, learned to slow down a little and add a few minutes to my shopping trips to chat with the clerks.
I really enjoyed the food. Now the closest I come is Cracker Barrel and I know it's only reasonably close to the real thing.
Oh...ya'll have Cracker Barrels?!
Yay!!! Im saved! Biscuits and Dumplins for all!

I really am glad to hear that. I cant cook worth ****, and I know I'd crave biscuits and gravy at some point. lol Picky eater here...hate bagels...

Old 10-21-2008, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
Not in Boston!
Dunkin' Donuts. It's about the coffee here, not so much the doughnuts, so KK didn't make it.
Blech. Im gonna starrrve!!! LMAO

I dont like bagels, or Dunkin's Donuts, OR any coffee...Im picturing walking around a city looking for a snack and cant find anything...

Sounds like bad dream I had once....LOL

Old 10-21-2008, 01:33 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,608,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
This isn't true anywhere in Ca, even in SF. Some people may be really judgmental like that but they are a small minority and not representative of the average San Franciscan or Californian. I can't believe you actually think that considering what you say later on in this post.
You can't understate what a young person will encounter just based on your experiences. San Diego is the most Republican-friendly large city in California but even there young people don't talk about going to revival meetings or liking Bush = it is very "uncool" & most definatley will turn-off potential friends.

You haven't visited San Francisco or LA in a while, it appears. Believe me, I would be quickly ostracized to dare put a GOP sign on my lawn or car. Once in a staff hospital meeting, a social worker admitted voting for Bush; the silence was deafening & the looks were of shock. From then on that worker had to deal with many snotty remarks & was always on the defense even at after-work drinks. She eventually went out on a workers comp for stress.

A few weeks ago the LA Times ran a story of actors who are Republican; they didn't even want their names released for fear of the consequences. In San Francisco hoodlums mark cars with graffiti if there is a GOP sticker.

Old 10-21-2008, 01:34 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
We have plenty of Krispy Kreme's here in CA, some closed recently but they are still around.

But we do have Chick-fil-A now, which I love and is my favorite fast food along with In-n-Out Burger now. Probably one of the few places that serve sweet tea too.

Old 10-21-2008, 01:44 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
You can't understate what a young person will encounter just based on your experiences. San Diego is the most Republican-friendly large city in California but even there young people don't talk about going to revival meetings or liking Bush = it is very "uncool" & most definatley will turn-off potential friends.

You haven't visited San Francisco or LA in a while, it appears. Believe me, I would be quickly ostracized to dare put a GOP sign on my lawn or car. Once in a staff hospital meeting, a social worker admitted voting for Bush; the silence was deafening & the looks were of shock. From then on that worker had to deal with many snotty remarks & was always on the defense even at after-work drinks. She eventually went out on a workers comp for stress.

A few weeks ago the LA Times ran a story of actors who are Republican; they didn't even want their names released for fear of the consequences. In San Francisco hoodlums mark cars with graffiti if there is a GOP sticker.
I was in LA three weeks ago and I was born and raised in the Bay Area and go there frequently to see family and friends. Pretty much my step dad's entire family is republican and they are all from and live in the Bay Area. Some of my hometown friends are republican and have had stickers on their cars w/o incident. And any remarks, such as our friends mom telling my other friend not to park their car in front of her house with a "W" sticker on it, is done in good humor and jokingly. Few people actually get pissed off enough to get really negative or to vandalize someone else's property.

Also Hollywood is hardly indicative of the average Californian or society here. And part of the problem with your coworker is bringing up voting for Bush at a staff meeting, that is just inviting trouble and debate which is why many people leave politics out of a situation it doesn't belong in. And as long as you do that then it won't be a problem anywhere. Talking about democrats or whoever causes silence or uncomfortable situations too b/c some topics are just not appropriate in certain situations, no matter which political party you support.

Old 10-21-2008, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
We have plenty of Krispy Kreme's here in CA, some closed recently but they are still around.

But we do have Chick-fil-A now, which I love and is my favorite fast food along with In-n-Out Burger now. Probably one of the few places that serve sweet tea too.
My boyfriend has folks in Oakland ( or Oakwood...cant remember which). Is that closer to San Diego or to 'Frisco?

Whats an In-and-Out Burger? Anything like Burger King?

Old 10-21-2008, 01:53 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,046,413 times
Dont stare at people too long up here. They eventually get irritated and say "What the **** you looking at?"

Dont stand in people's way because they will push and shove. Especially during rush hour.

Things are very crowded up here, so when you are on a bus or train, try to keep to yourself because nobody really wants to talk to anybody.

You being very attractive will get you alot of cat calls. In fact, the NYC forum gets bombarded with threads written by women complaining about the overly agressive men. It's an epidemic here, especially in the hispanic hoods.

People are most likely going to question your accent. But I dont really think they would make fun of it.

Basically just adapt to your sorroundings. You are going to be sorrounded by alot of people all the time. Dont do anything that will make you stand out.

Oh, and that southern pride thing has got to go. Or you can leave it in your crowded 1 bedroom apartment in Brooklyn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.