U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 02:00 PM

15,470 posts, read 25,475,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
My boyfriend has folks in Oakland ( or Oakwood...cant remember which). Is that closer to San Diego or to 'Frisco?

Whats an In-and-Out Burger? Anything like Burger King?
Oakland is right across the bay from San Francisco and there are Krispy Kremes up there too.

Also SOME locals in SF get their panties in a wad when you call if "Frisco". It's considered "derogatory" yet no one actually knows why, I don't have a problem calling it Frisco but in SF you will probably get crap for it.

In-n-Out Burger is WAY better than Burger King or any other fast food burger place like MacDonald's. All their burgers are made cooked to order, use only fresh ingredients that are never frozen, and they always have good employees b/c they pay so well. It's probably one of the best run fast food places I've ever seen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 02:05 PM

3,398 posts, read 7,155,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Dont stare at people too long up here. They eventually get irritated and say "What the **** you looking at?"

Dont stand in people's way because they will push and shove. Especially during rush hour.

Things are very crowded up here, so when you are on a bus or train, try to keep to yourself because nobody really wants to talk to anybody.

You being very attractive will get you alot of cat calls. In fact, the NYC forum gets bombarded with threads written by women complaining about the overly agressive men. It's an epidemic here, especially in the hispanic hoods.
I am practiced in using the universal joint in the middle of my hand, have no qualms about using pepper spray....and I'm likely to stay within 20-30 miles of the base my then-husband is stationed at
People are most likely going to question your accent. But I dont really think they would make fun of it.

Basically just adapt to your sorroundings. You are going to be sorrounded by alot of people all the time. Dont do anything that will make you stand out.

Oh, and that southern pride thing has got to go. Or you can leave it in your crowded 1 bedroom apartment in Brooklyn.
My question now is this...why should I be ashamed of where I come from?

Im not going to rub it in someone's face...but if they ask me Im not going to act as if Im not proud of where Im from.

Old 10-21-2008, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Oakland is right across the bay from San Francisco and there are Krispy Kremes up there too.

Also SOME locals in SF get their panties in a wad when you call if "Frisco". It's considered "derogatory" yet no one actually knows why, I don't have a problem calling it Frisco but in SF you will probably get crap for it.

In-n-Out Burger is WAY better than Burger King or any other fast food burger place like MacDonald's. All their burgers are made cooked to order, use only fresh ingredients that are never frozen, and they always have good employees b/c they pay so well. It's probably one of the best run fast food places I've ever seen.
oops..sorry. I just didnt want to spell it out...bein lazy.lol

If I ever go to California though, and see one of those burger places, Im going to remember this post.

Old 10-21-2008, 02:19 PM

5,519 posts, read 17,711,377 times
Quote:
My question now is this...why should I be ashamed of where I come from?

Im not going to rub it in someone's face...but if they ask me Im not going to act as if Im not proud of where Im from.
Well what I meant was not to wave a confederate flag walking down Broadway yelling "I hate Yankees"..

you know what I mean....

because if southerners are anything like they are on city-data.....

Old 10-21-2008, 02:43 PM

5,481 posts, read 10,419,208 times
Well here in fly-over country, we know a lady who is a flight attendent from Delta moved up from Atlanta several years ago. Aside from the weather, she likes it in Suburban Chicago. I love her accent. No need to be ashamed of where your from.
Now it could be she made an easy transition because she moved from one suburban area to another. She did not make a big change in leaving a big city and going rural or the other way around.

Old 10-21-2008, 02:55 PM

6,749 posts, read 19,973,573 times
[quote=Colddiamond102;5787104]

Ive been told that in the North, eye contact with a stranger isnt common.

I KNOW there's no sweet tea...or grits, or collards, or decent fried chicken, or sweet 'tater pie...or cobbler...

But..thats about it. QUOTE]
My goodness, isn't that enough ?

Old 10-21-2008, 03:08 PM

[quote=missymomof3;5791004]
Quote:

Ive been told that in the North, eye contact with a stranger isnt common.

I KNOW there's no sweet tea...or grits, or collards, or decent fried chicken, or sweet 'tater pie...or cobbler...

But..thats about it. QUOTE]
My goodness, isn't that enough ?
LOL

If I had my druthers, it would be.
But, since the likelyhood that I'll marry my boyfriend and be dragged all over is very high, I figured I'd get some information from the areas that Im probably to be dragged to.

I dont think I'll mind exploring new places. But..somehow Ive also got a feeling that I'll always be most comfortable behind the Mason Dixon line.
Judging by some of the information shared so far, moving anywhere else is going to be quite an adjustment.
Since my own country is so different, Lord help me when he gets stationed overseas...talk about "going out kicking and screaming"

No matter where I visit, I'll probably always come back home to rejuvenate.

Course..I hear I can do that in NYC if I go into FAO Schwartz.

Old 10-21-2008, 03:19 PM

5,031 posts, read 11,322,946 times
Colddiamond

Don't be offended by my observations because they may not apply to you. The reason I listed "do's & don'ts" was reading posts by some Southerners on other threads who claim God created the world in 5000 yrs & want praying going on in schools & courts. The extreme right Southerners would have plenty of problems in the North\ West Coast.

But people do not discuss religion at work and being a Republican can mean being shunned in the cities. Personally I adore a woman who has a "Southerner" accent but not men. You are cute & a Southern accent will most definitely attract males. Some clubs have jerks who like to sexually come on to young women but would fight another man if it was his sister who was being "pawed' on [probably the same in the South, right?

Old 10-21-2008, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
Colddiamond

Don't be offended by my observations because they may not apply to you. The reason I listed "do's & don'ts" was reading posts by some Southerners on other threads who claim God created the world in 5000 yrs & want praying going on in schools & courts. The extreme right Southerners would have plenty of problems in the North\ West Coast.

But people do not discuss religion at work and being a Republican can mean being shunned in the cities. Personally I adore a woman who has a "Southerner" accent but not men. You are cute & a Southern accent will most definitely attract males. Some clubs have jerks who like to sexually come on to young women but would fight another man if it was his sister who was being "pawed' on [probably the same in the South, right?
I have yet to meet anyone who thinks the world was created in 5000 years. There are some of us who believe in a young earth though but this isn't the thread for that

Old 10-21-2008, 03:38 PM

[quote=Colddiamond102;5791231]
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post

LOL

If I had my druthers, it would be.
But, since the likelyhood that I'll marry my boyfriend and be dragged all over is very high, I figured I'd get some information from the areas that Im probably to be dragged to.
Honey love will make us do some pretty crazy things
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or