U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 03:59 PM

3,398 posts, read 7,150,921 times

Advertisements

Awe..thanks. And yes, it is the same down here. And the same remedy for the "pawing" applies.

Kick him in the shins ( or pepper spray him) and walk away.
I do doubt my chances at being pawed though. Likely my company will be amongst a bunch of Sailors or Marines, depending on if that base houses them both.
Neither of these take kindly to having the wives of their fellows "pawed".
And, no, I dont think the earth is only 5000 years old. lol
I DO believe God created it...but perhaps only He really knows how it was designed or supposed to be.
I don't mind prayer in schools or courts, either. I think its the personal business of those in attendance whether or not they choose to do so, just as it is at the discretion of a guest at a family table.

But, those are my own thoughts. They do not come up unless the subject does.
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
Colddiamond

Don't be offended by my observations because they may not apply to you. The reason I listed "do's & don'ts" was reading posts by some Southerners on other threads who claim God created the world in 5000 yrs & want praying going on in schools & courts. The extreme right Southerners would have plenty of problems in the North\ West Coast.

But people do not discuss religion at work and being a Republican can mean being shunned in the cities. Personally I adore a woman who has a "Southerner" accent but not men. You are cute & a Southern accent will most definitely attract males. Some clubs have jerks who like to sexually come on to young women but would fight another man if it was his sister who was being "pawed' on [probably the same in the South, right?

Last edited by Colddiamond102; 10-21-2008 at 04:05 PM.. Reason: Had to scoot to another class
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 05:34 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,709,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Dont stare at people too long up here. They eventually get irritated and say "What the **** you looking at?"

Dont stand in people's way because they will push and shove. Especially during rush hour.

Things are very crowded up here, so when you are on a bus or train, try to keep to yourself because nobody really wants to talk to anybody.

You being very attractive will get you alot of cat calls. In fact, the NYC forum gets bombarded with threads written by women complaining about the overly agressive men. It's an epidemic here, especially in the hispanic hoods.

People are most likely going to question your accent. But I dont really think they would make fun of it.

Basically just adapt to your sorroundings. You are going to be sorrounded by alot of people all the time. Dont do anything that will make you stand out.

Oh, and that southern pride thing has got to go. Or you can leave it in your crowded 1 bedroom apartment in Brooklyn.
sounds like Houston.....

Old 10-21-2008, 05:36 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,709,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
Colddiamond

Don't be offended by my observations because they may not apply to you. The reason I listed "do's & don'ts" was reading posts by some Southerners on other threads who claim God created the world in 5000 yrs & want praying going on in schools & courts. The extreme right Southerners would have plenty of problems in the North\ West Coast.

But people do not discuss religion at work and being a Republican can mean being shunned in the cities. Personally I adore a woman who has a "Southerner" accent but not men. You are cute & a Southern accent will most definitely attract males. Some clubs have jerks who like to sexually come on to young women but would fight another man if it was his sister who was being "pawed' on [probably the same in the South, right?
I though the world was created in 6 days....

Old 10-21-2008, 06:29 PM

5,031 posts, read 11,316,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
Awe..thanks. And yes, it is the same down here. And the same remedy for the "pawing" applies.

Kick him in the shins ( or pepper spray him) and walk away.
I do doubt my chances at being pawed though. Likely my company will be amongst a bunch of Sailors or Marines, depending on if that base houses them both.
Neither of these take kindly to having the wives of their fellows "pawed".
And, no, I dont think the earth is only 5000 years old. lol
I DO believe God created it...but perhaps only He really knows how it was designed or supposed to be.
I don't mind prayer in schools or courts, either. I think its the personal business of those in attendance whether or not they choose to do so, just as it is at the discretion of a guest at a family table.

But, those are my own thoughts. They do not come up unless the subject does.
Colddiamond
You will be OK wherever you locate & people will like you just fine.

Old 10-21-2008, 07:19 PM

6,975 posts, read 12,504,449 times
Quote:
Is it going to be possible to find a Krispy Kreme anywhere in those areas??
Definitely Dunkin Donuts country in the Northeast.

Old 10-21-2008, 08:16 PM

3,596 posts, read 7,712,097 times
I think without question it can be stated that things generally move faster in the north.

But you have to consider that as meaning that urban environments don't really exist in "the south" as they do in "the north".

Between the three, the north (Chicago to NYC and north of, therefore excluding, D.C.) is the most radically different. Going from the South to California isn't that much of a culture shock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Definitely Dunkin Donuts country in the Northeast.
Mmm, no We have real bakeries, the likes of which southerners have never seen. There is nothing in the entirety of the South that compares to Arthur Avenue in NYC. Homemade cannoli... tricolors... *sighs*

Old 10-21-2008, 08:22 PM

2,898 posts, read 2,882,263 times
I don't think it is as big a deal as people make it out to be. I grew up in NY and went to school in College Station Texas which is pretty small, then moved to Houston and I had no problem adapting at all. The key is to go with an open mind and you should be ok.

Old 10-21-2008, 08:54 PM

11,179 posts, read 22,400,541 times
I grew up in Iowa where people always seemed to talk to each other in line at the grocery ( I did check out for 5 years), you would wave at people driving by when you happened to make eye contact (even if you had no clue who it was) and you would say Hi if you walked by someone on the sidewalk. Not a busy sidewalk with people all over, but if you walked by someone on a residential street.

I moved to Chicago and people didn't look eye to eye or ever say hi on the street, unless it was a side street and people weren't in a hurry. At first I assumed it was "colder" people, but I've realized it's just the culture.

We're all the same inside, it's just how it comes out on the surface. Even thought people don't project their feelings in public, everyone knows that they're still there as a human being. I find myself after 7 years in Chicago having communications with people on a train with only a few seconds of eye contact that would have taken looks and words back in Iowa. Like if the train is a total mess some rush hour (like tonight), everyone was "talking" about how pissed they were, but it was just with the "i know what you mean" eye contact and anything from an enthusiastic laugh out loud to a dry sarcastic eye roll. We all learn what it means in the culture we exist...

Old 10-21-2008, 10:26 PM

835 posts, read 2,085,630 times
Quote:
As some already know, I am a Southerner. I have left the South once in my lifetime ( 5th grade, went for a week to visit a cousin)
My boyfriend is in the Navy, and I know that if I marry him someday I'll end up at some time in either somewhere in a Northern state (NY probably) or in California.

Quite frankly, this possibility scares me more than a little bit ( culture shock, etc).

So for future reference, what are some do's and dont's about living in a Northern state, or in California?

Ive been told that in the North, eye contact with a stranger isnt common.

I KNOW there's no sweet tea...or grits, or collards, or decent fried chicken, or sweet 'tater pie...or cobbler...

But..thats about it. So...enlighten me ya'll.
My advice: get a new boyfriend whose job won't lead you out of The South.

Tell you a story, I was in Chicago on the train. A lady got in and smiled at us and made eye contact. I had a feeling she was a Southerner. Well, she gets a phone call and once she opened her mouth I knew she was.

Someone said there are huge homeless populations in New York City. That's true and many of them did seem mentally ill, unfortunately.

Old 10-21-2008, 10:43 PM

3,398 posts, read 7,150,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guestposter24 View Post
My advice: get a new boyfriend whose job won't lead you out of The South.

Tell you a story, I was in Chicago on the train. A lady got in and smiled at us and made eye contact. I had a feeling she was a Southerner. Well, she gets a phone call and once she opened her mouth I knew she was.

Someone said there are huge homeless populations in New York City. That's true and many of them did seem mentally ill, unfortunately.
LOL not an option. Ive had this one 3 years in March 2009. Im not letting him go. He's a keeper...besides, Im sick of kissing frogs....

There are quite a few homeless in Charleston, I do believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or