U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 09:47 AM

3,398 posts, read 7,148,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
I don't mean to 'dis' our more northern bros, but California people are generally more relaxed. Probably quieter than Chicagoans\ New Yorkers & a maybe a little stand off initially. Also more physical with women outside in the sun
LOL then Im in no trouble. I dont get out in the sun much..cant you tell by the picture?

I'm so white I look like a flourescent bulb-turn the lights off and I glow.

Its too hot down here to be out in the sun in the summer...and when its spring and Im gardening I always wear this big, tacky, straw Granny hat and SPF 50.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 09:05 PM

5,772 posts, read 13,735,409 times
Most important piece of advice for survival in the north: Do not compromise on the quality of your sled dogs! When you're out on that wide open tundra, with no fellow human within a hundred miles, with the wind cutting through you, and that dark, heavy cold weighing in around you, a good sled team can be the reason you survive.

Last edited by ogre; 10-23-2008 at 09:36 PM..

Old 10-23-2008, 09:35 PM

Geez, did I really write that post above? Anyway, seriously, you do need to keep in mind that the northern winters will be longer and colder than you're used to. Calfiornia obviously will be a different story, especially in the coastal areas. If you're stationed up north somewhere, make sure to have plenty of warm clothes on hand.

And while I'm speaking of clothing, in many northern cities the girls don't dress to the nines when they go out for more casual events the way they might in the South. It depends. In NYC, there might be a tendency to dress more stylishly for casual outings, but even then it will often be a matter of dressing up in a way that looks a little bit like dressing down, depending on the activity. Up here in Boston, where I live, however, a college girl going to a football game is likely to wear jeans and whatever practical clothing is most comfortable for the weather that day. Same in much of the Midwest as well, though I'm not sure about Chicago.

Okay, now, my family moved to the Boston area when I was a little kid, but my parents both grew up in the South. I have an accent that is a quirky mix of Boston, the three places we lived before moving to Boston, including one in the South, and a touch of the Midwest from when I went to college in Ohio and lived there for about four years after college. I do get questions about my accent. There's definitely a lot of Boston in there, but people seem to notice what they are not used to hearing. In Boston they ask me about my "Southern accent." (One guy even thought I was Australian.) In Ohio they asked about my Boston accent. Anyway, I usually find that people are more interested, or curious, than ugly about it. Some are even charmed by an accent from outside the area. It's possible that every now and then you might get someone asking specifically whether you are from Kentucky, or Texas, or Alabama, or whatever state that person happens to think of first when he thinks of the South, but that will happen only rarely if it all, and the person is most likely still just curious or interested.

A lot of the things people have said here seem to have some truth to them. As someone who leans to the right politically, I'd have to agree with Happ (yeah, I know what people are thinking, but I do agree based on my own experience) that there may be a certain . . . understanding (or assumption) . . . that if you're a reasonable person of course your political leanings go left. In some circles, there may be more blatant pressure to conform to left-wing attitudes. However, I have a sneaking suspicion that you're unlikely to encounter too much of that in the military. And again, those are the worst-case scenarios.

Basically, it's like that with most of what people have told you here. They're trying to summarize. A lot of these things happen occasionally, but day in and day out they won't happen so often.

Well, now, the n-word thing. Um, I know of a few, very infrequent--I'm talking a handful of times, or fewer, in the last forty years here--times when one of my parents or the other would encoutner someone who would hear the Southern accent and start with the racist talk, assuming that my mother or father, as the case may be, would share those views. Kind of ugly. Displaying two prejudices at once. As I said, though, if that happens at all, it will likely be very infrequent.

Going beyond race, specifically, something you may find a bit different when compared to where you live now, at least in the north--not sure about California--is that people often wear their national ancestries on their sleeves with pride. You might find that a little different, and it might even seem kind of odd, but people take those things very seriously, so just be aware that it's commonplace up north.

Chain restaurants? Well, I did once hear about a Krispy Kreme somewhere in Rhode Island, I think. Don't know whether it's still there. As for full-service chains, think Applebee's, Ruby Tuesday, Friday's.

So you know, I think one of the best posts on here was the one by CubSoxFan where he pointed out that there's as much difference, or more, between different kinds of communities within a region (city, suburb, small town, etc.) as there is between regions. You'll run into the occasional jerk anywhere you go, but most people will be decent folks wherever you go. A lot of how well you adjust to all those little nuanced differences in culture, and how people react, will depend on you. If you're basically a friendly person, able to do a little give and take, you should be fine anywhere. If your posts on here give any indication, you'll be okay.

Last edited by ogre; 10-23-2008 at 09:45 PM..

Old 10-23-2008, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
Geez, did I really write that post above? Anyway, seriously, you do need to keep in mind that the northern winters will be longer and colder than you're used to. Calfiornia obviously will be a different story, especially in the coastal areas. If you're stationed up north somewhere, make sure to have plenty of warm clothes on hand.
LOL I kinda knew this...fortunately I am warm-natured, but I hope I wouldnt be silly enough to not bring along a nice thick coat.
Though, from pictures of some of the coats ya'll wear ( the ones filled with down and that go down to your knees) I'd probably trip and fall at least once.

Quote:
And while I'm speaking of clothing, in many northern cities the girls don't dress to the nines when they go out for more casual events the way they might in the South.
Eh, we don't really dress up for all that much down here. Out to dinner at a restaraunt, Steeplechase, dates, and such things.
But...other than that, you'll see more shorts, jeans, and flip flops as you will anything else.
Dont let the "legends" fool you.

Quote:
A lot of the things people have said here seem to have some truth to them. As someone who leans to the right politically, I'd have to agree with Happ (yeah, I know what people are thinking, but I do agree based on my own experience) that there may be a certain . . . understanding (or assumption) . . . that if you're a reasonable person of course your political leanings go left. In some circles, there may be more blatant pressure to conform to left-wing attitudes. However, I have a sneaking suspicion that you're unlikely to encounter too much of that in the military. And again, those are the worst-case scenarios.
Haha, for who really wants to argue with a Sailor or Marine?
As for political pressure, methinks I'll be alright. Ive never been one to take nicely to being pressured one way or another, and have no problems voicing it. Too much of their pressuring and I'll leave their social circle of my own accord and without a look back.

Quote:
Well, now, the n-word thing. Um, I know of a few, very infrequent--I'm talking a handful of times, or fewer, in the last forty years here--times when one of my parents or the other would encoutner someone who would hear the Southern accent and start with the racist talk, assuming that my mother or father, as the case may be, would share those views. Kind of ugly. Displaying two prejudices at once. As I said, though, if that happens at all, it will likely be very infrequent.
As Ive said before, using that word down here can and will get you shot given the right circumstances. So, fi you use it, you'd best be very well aquainted with the person its aimed at, or you'd best be able to run like hell.

Quote:
Chain restaurants? Well, I did once hear about a Krispy Kreme somewhere in Rhode Island, I think. Don't know whether it's still there. As for full-service chains, think Applebee's, Ruby Tuesday, Friday's.
Oh good. I wont starve completely.

Quote:
So you know, I think one of the best posts on here was the one by CubSoxFan where he pointed out that there's as much difference, or more, between different kinds of communities within a region (city, suburb, small town, etc.) as there is between regions. You'll run into the occasional jerk anywhere you go, but most people will be decent folks wherever you go. A lot of how well you adjust to all those little nuanced differences in culture, and how people react, will depend on you. If you're basically a friendly person, able to do a little give and take, you should be fine anywhere. If your posts on here give any indication, you'll be okay.
Eh..Ive noticed that when I am in a new crowd of people, I generally am either quiet, or I am polite (as I was raised to be down here) but stick to subjects I'd discuss at my job (weather, food,etc) instead of allowing the stranger a personal view of the real me. After awhile, that wears off and they see me for me, take it or leave it.

Thank you for all of the information. I do appreciate it, especially that of the flags. I wouldnt have known and would likely have questioned somebody about it at some point.

Old 10-24-2008, 05:28 AM

6,749 posts, read 19,958,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
Eh..Ive noticed that when I am in a new crowd of people, I generally am either quiet, or I am polite (as I was raised to be down here) but stick to subjects I'd discuss at my job (weather, food,etc) instead of allowing the stranger a personal view of the real me. After awhile, that wears off and they see me for me, take it or leave it.

Thank you for all of the information. I do appreciate it, especially that of the flags. I wouldnt have known and would likely have questioned somebody about it at some point.
Hon are we related????

Old 10-24-2008, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
Hon are we related????
Dunno....Could be. Be afraid, be very afraid...

Old 10-24-2008, 10:37 AM

15,032 posts, read 31,417,551 times
I live in small town south Alabama, a few years ago I visited NYC for about a week and never had a problem. I'm not a big talker, so the fact that people didn't say hello on the street didn't bother me. I didn't experience any pushing or shoving, but I also kept up with the pace when walking. In restaurants and hotels everyone was generally friendly, no different than the south. The only thing I noticed was the small store owners don't like you to browse for too long, they want you to get your stuff and get out. Maybe it's just me, but I didn't experience any of the rudeness that people talk about. Well, there was one guy that pi**ed me off, and that was my limo driver. We couldn't find each other at the airport because my plane was a little late and he was fussing about having to pay for parking. I put him in his place though.

Now, outside of the cities (upstate NY, Vermont) I'm sure it's much more relaxed. The whole thing about "don't tell anyone you voted for Bush" is crap, about 40% of people in the northeast voted for him. And yes, the northeast also has church's, just don't expect them to be Baptist.

Old 10-24-2008, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I live in small town south Alabama, a few years ago I visited NYC for about a week and never had a problem. I'm not a big talker, so the fact that people didn't say hello on the street didn't bother me. I didn't experience any pushing or shoving, but I also kept up with the pace when walking. In restaurants and hotels everyone was generally friendly, no different than the south. The only thing I noticed was the small store owners don't like you to browse for too long, they want you to get your stuff and get out. Maybe it's just me, but I didn't experience any of the rudeness that people talk about. Well, there was one guy that pi**ed me off, and that was my limo driver. We couldn't find each other at the airport because my plane was a little late and he was fussing about having to pay for parking. I put him in his place though.

Now, outside of the cities (upstate NY, Vermont) I'm sure it's much more relaxed. The whole thing about "don't tell anyone you voted for Bush" is crap, about 40% of people in the northeast voted for him. And yes, the northeast also has church's, just don't expect them to be Baptist.
What was he fussing for? You were paying HIM! Sheesh...

Its ok..I can do Methodist. My mama and grandma were methodist...dad and his dad Baptist.

It will work out, I think.

Old 10-24-2008, 07:51 PM

From what I've seen of your posts on here, yes, it will work out just fine. Still a good idea to get a feel for the place you're moving to, though.

By the way, ColdDiamond, could you please tell me how to do the thing you did when responding to my post? I'm talking about quoting individual lines. I know you use the quotation marks at the bottom of the post, but I've never figured out the details of how it works.

Something else too: Many thanks to your boyfriend for his service. And to you for being part of his life and supporting him in this.

Old 10-24-2008, 08:37 PM

Quote:
From what I've seen of your posts on here, yes, it will work out just fine. Still a good idea to get a feel for the place you're moving to, though.
I hope I can. But likely it will be that he will get his orders to go somewhere, and we just go. We can guess as to what the most logical place would be, but it doesnt mean we're right.
There is no warning as to where he will be assigned. So most likely I'll have to wing it.

Look in the top left-hand corner of the text, and it will contain the original poster of the paragraph you are quoting, followed by some numbers. Copy/paste that in front of the part you want to quote.
Then use the other lil quote-thing at the end.
Its a pain in the arse to do.

Quote:
By the way, ColdDiamond, could you please tell me how to do the thing you did when responding to my post? I'm talking about quoting individual lines. I know you use the quotation marks at the bottom of the post, but I've never figured out the details of how it works.

Something else too: Many thanks to your boyfriend for his service. And to you for being part of his life and supporting him in this.
Thank you.

But..thats what you do when you love somebody. You back them up come hell or high water.

In his case, it was boot camp and now distance for 2+ years . lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or