U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 06:04 PM

2,775 posts, read 8,612,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem3456 View Post
I agree.
I don't know about clobber CA and TX. Maybe FL. We don't have as many agricultural attributes to support the dense population. Corporate-wise, we'd be powerful. Food-wise, we'd need to rely on some other sources. But that's the point of trade, I guess.

We have apples, meats, milk, and corn covered, but that's about all I ever see growing in upstate New York and most of its grown in Western & Central NY where the land isn't as rugged and there aren't as many trees.

Niagara Falls would boost our power quite a bit, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 06:13 PM

2,241 posts, read 4,844,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
I think the Northeast could form a very powerful country on it's own that would clobber California and Texas.
Just taking the metropolitan GMPs of the Northeast:

Boston: $276 billion
Providence: $63 billion
Hartford: $70 billion
New York City: $1.124 trillion
Buffalo: $41 billion
Philadelphia: $312 billion
Pittsburgh: $107 billion
Baltimore: $126 billion
Washington D.C.: $367 billion

= $2.486 trillion economy

California = $1.7 trillion

Old 10-21-2008, 06:18 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,582,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
I don't know about clobber CA and TX. Maybe FL. We don't have as many agricultural attributes to support the dense population. Corporate-wise, we'd be powerful. Food-wise, we'd need to rely on some other sources. But that's the point of trade, I guess.
Exactly! New York could trade with California for produce and Texas for beef.

Old 10-21-2008, 06:20 PM

85 posts, read 219,961 times
alaska and hawaii

Old 10-21-2008, 07:07 PM

810 posts, read 2,740,752 times
Theoretically, everyone, although many would be decidedly third world. Of course it's much more complicated than this, but going off of straight GDP (some of this is slightly dated), here's some fun stuff:

Similarly, if some states were to ally:

Old 10-21-2008, 07:35 PM

5,031 posts, read 8,203,591 times
California more than any other state & why many here wonder why we don't leave the U.S. [esp when Republicans steal the White House

Old 10-21-2008, 08:11 PM

190 posts, read 682,132 times
Quote:
Yes, Niagara Falls is a major source of power. I read somewhere that Niagara Falls is a major terrorist target because if they could find a way to shut it down, power would be out all over the North and East Coast. Plus, New York State is known for its apples and milk. The best milk flavors in the world are made here. Intense Chocolate Milk by Upstate Farms is THE BEST chocolate milk I've ever had. It is truly intense chocolate milk.

NYC is a given. Without NYC, this country wouldn't be nearly as powerful. Long Island is known for its wine.

People underestimate New York State. They don't realize that there's more to New York than NYC. But we're pretty small to be our own country.
Yeah i loved those milks they served at school. I would drink so many of those because they were so delicious and fresh

Old 10-21-2008, 08:13 PM

4,478 posts, read 5,144,637 times
Quote:
Yes, Niagara Falls is a major source of power. I read somewhere that Niagara Falls is a major terrorist target because if they could find a way to shut it down, power would be out all over the North and East Coast. Plus, New York State is known for its apples and milk. The best milk flavors in the world are made here. Intense Chocolate Milk by Upstate Farms is THE BEST chocolate milk I've ever had. It is truly intense chocolate milk.

NYC is a given. Without NYC, this country wouldn't be nearly as powerful. Long Island is known for its wine.

People underestimate New York State. They don't realize that there's more to New York than NYC. But we're pretty small to be our own country.
I am not sure about whether Intense Chocolate Milk qualifies as a major natural resource. But New York is almost the same size as England - the home of the great majority of the British people. It was England that built the bulk of the that once great empire. Maybe the Empire State nickname has some future hidden meaning after all?

Old 10-22-2008, 07:40 AM

25,279 posts, read 27,422,500 times
Well, I think the criteria should really be tied to what the state can produce to be self-sufficient. Can it produce its own energy, food, and manufactured goods? Or will it have a serious economic imbalance.

When you start to use that criteria, then some of states come off looking better than others. California is an obvious candidate, as is Texas. Massachusetts? It would pretty much die on the vine.

Especially given the wave of industrialization over the past few decades, most of the Southern states would probably do quite well, with large energy resources, manufacturing, and agriculture.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:03 AM

27,587 posts, read 22,951,520 times
I would say California, Texas, Alaska, Hawaii. Each state has a diverse landscape and access to the sea.

California can produce much of its own produce, wine, and oil and so can Texas. Texas has the ports of Houston and Galveston. California has the ports of San Francisco, Los Angeles, Long Beach, and San Diego. Texas could establish trade with the Caribbean. California could establish its own trade with the Pacific Rim. and They aech loom large on the technology sector(where do you think Texas Instruments came from). They could be their own countries. Hawaii could be its own country because at one time it was its own kingdom. With Honolulu as a major port, it could establish trade with all of the Pacific Rim as its own country.
Alaska has its own oil and if it becomes a country, it could run its own affairs. The port of Anchorage could be set up as a duty-free port. Alaska can set up trade with California and Hawaii and the rest of the Pacific Rim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.