Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2008, 10:25 AM

754 posts, read 1,738,717 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=3]It is irritating that people come on these forums and spend their whole time complaining about how terrible an area is. Guess what? Humans have free will, that means you have a choice, you move, you stay, or if there is an area you hate then don’t move there! Simple! Sometimes in life you can’t get everything you want so you make sacrifices, and those sacrifices come at a price. If you make $30K a year and you support a family on that income alone, don’t go into NYC, LA, NOVA, BOSTON, CHICAGO, D.C. etc. forum complaining that you cannot buy a 3,000 square foot house, with 5 bedrooms for $150K. If you want that, move to Texas. There are plenty of people who live in large metropolitan areas that love what city life has to offer like culture, diversity, nightlife, great employment opportunities etc. There are many people who live in the suburbs that love the more laid-back and affordable lifestyle the burbs have to offer. Not every one in NOVA is pretentious, strapped for cash, hating life and suicidal. And no, not every one goes there to chase the mighty the dollar either, some people simply enjoy the employment opportunities the area has to offer and respect the fact that they will have to make trade-offs in other areas of their lives. I have lived (and was born in) NY, then lived in FL, now VA. All offer completely different lifestyles; all have pros/cons. Yes, I am paying $2100 a month to live in a 2 bedroom high rise but guess what? My SUV (yes, I have one AND it’s a Lexus *gasp* AND paid off! *gasp*) will stay parked up 5 days a week because I am within two blocks of a metro! My total commute time from my front door to my desk is 25 minutes. I used to live in a 5 bedroom house in Chesapeake, VA….HATED IT! I am quite content with being able to walk to the movies, restaurants, metro into the city, have my employers subsidize my transit use etc. Hey maybe one day I will have kids and none of these things will be quite as important but then I will have to reprioritize and make changes. THERE ARE NO PERFECT CITIES, STATES, COUNTRIES ETC. Stop the freaking whining and appreciate what each area has to offer. If you don’t like it, MOVE ON![/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 10:31 AM

6,334 posts, read 11,077,735 times
If you don't like the content of a post simply move onto one that appeals to you. As long as certain people don't overdo it with beating us over the head on certain subjects (they've already been warned by the Moderator) such as one certain small-medium sized city in the central Plains, then simply accept their right to post. Unless you are the Moderator you do not have the right to demand what people can and cannot post on this forum.

Old 10-22-2008, 10:38 AM

754 posts, read 1,738,717 times
WILW, what I have run into on many of the threads is someone saying "I am moving to city X and would like info on schools and neighborhoods", and you will see people responding "I drove through city X and it was so dirty and crowded, why would any one ever live there", then a native of city X will post a response and the "driver througher" will come back again "well city X looked so nasty why do you live there". Posts of these types (which ARE made often and often by the same people) are irrelevant and counter-productive. If you do not live in an area, stop talking about it. If you don't like the one your in and cannot provide a productive response to someones question then you should make your point and leave it at that. It serves no purpose to continuously post about how much you hate an area except to strike fear into individuals simply looking for information.

Old 10-22-2008, 10:50 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,624,505 times
so your whining about people whining. Yeah, that's so much better to listen to people complain about others complaining.

It's an internet forum, what exactly do you expect? Just ignore posters that are nothing but negative or call them out on their BS, that tends to shut them up. Even though it can get annoying, people do have the right to vent their frustrations. And if they just do it over and over they are nothing but a troll.

Old 10-22-2008, 10:52 AM

6,334 posts, read 11,077,735 times
I generally don't take issue with someone expressing an opinion. Everyone has one. I've seen people come down hard on my home state of CT or some of its cities and unless they are posting inaccurate facts, I simply ignore the post or refute their statement with one of my own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.