Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2008, 01:35 PM

334 posts, read 1,268,433 times

Advertisements

America.

And are:
New York
San Francisco
L.A.
D.C.
Boston
Philly
Miami
Chicago
Austin
San Antonio

American?

Last edited by CubsGiantsIndiansfan2008; 10-22-2008 at 02:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 01:37 PM

8,608 posts, read 10,139,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CubsGiantsIndiansfan2008 View Post
America.

????

Old 10-22-2008, 01:40 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,344,312 times
Wal-Marts per capita

Old 10-22-2008, 01:46 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,299,392 times
In the recent "real America/fake America" debate blowing through the internets, the consensus of what a "real American" seems to be is someone who loves flags and Jesus but isn't too immigranty.

Old 10-22-2008, 01:57 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,531,941 times
Default Just my opinion

Fake are the people who worry too much about what their neighbors have.
They're the ones going out and having cosmetic surgery because it's the "in" thing to do.
They also have to have the latest style clothing and/or hair color. They think that they have to spend $100.00 per person for a "decent" meal and look down their noses to anyone who doesn't. They have to constantly be entertained. They think what they think is "culture" is the only "culture" that matters. They always have to have an audience for everything they do. They also like to name drop.

The real people are the farmers, machanics, bartenders, clerks and such. They buy the clothes they like instead of because some magazine says it's "in style". They are happy with their ranch homes because a good roof over their heads is more important than having a McMansion.
If they get cosmetic surgery it's because of a medical condition.
They can sit back and enjoy the quiet. They can eat fast food once in awhile and say hi to their friends in line.

Old 10-22-2008, 04:03 PM

7,731 posts, read 13,425,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali's Grandma View Post
Fake are the people who worry too much about what their neighbors have.
They're the ones going out and having cosmetic surgery because it's the "in" thing to do.
They also have to have the latest style clothing and/or hair color. They think that they have to spend $100.00 per person for a "decent" meal and look down their noses to anyone who doesn't. They have to constantly be entertained. They think what they think is "culture" is the only "culture" that matters. They always have to have an audience for everything they do. They also like to name drop
I'm surrounded by them here.

Old 10-22-2008, 04:49 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,843,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CubsGiantsIndiansfan2008 View Post
America.

And are:
New York
San Francisco
L.A.
D.C.
Boston
Philly
Miami
Chicago
Austin
San Antonio

American?
Of course they are American.

Just as much American as:
Washburn, Maine
Livingston, Montana
Guthrie, Texas
Tonopah, Nevada
Red Bluff, California
Hart, Michigan
Jay, Florida
Gautier, Mississippi
Independence, Virginia

and countless other small town places most people will never hear of, but all have people who live, breath, and die calling them home. All having flags out on Flag Day and the 4th of July. Small town festivals, and pie eating contests, churches on the corner and white picket fences surrounding the one graveyard in town. Where you can see markers for the vets and the memorials with only two or three names on them dedicated to those of town who had fought and died in the service. I picked these towns because over the years I have either lived in them myself or knew someone who was from one of them and was pleased to call them a friend.

Size, attitude, occupations, or income doesn't make a place American or not, just different from one another. New York City and L.A. are polar opposites of my town, but that doesn't make them or me, more American than one another. Would I be out of place in either of them? Damn right I would! Would somebody who grew up in either feel out of place in Scottville, Michigan? Damn right they would! To insinuate that cities are not American is quite frankly insulting to those who live in those cities. Individuals anyplace may be anti-American, but that doesn't make the location of their mailbox any less American.

Old 10-22-2008, 06:03 PM

1,576 posts, read 6,347,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
In the recent "real America/fake America" debate blowing through the internets, the consensus of what a "real American" seems to be is someone who loves flags and Jesus but isn't too immigranty.
Well said. And a rep to you for coining the word "immigranty." I love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.