Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What U$ coins should be gone?
1 cent (penny) 35 35.00%
5 cent (nickel) 4 4.00%
Both 1 and 5 cent 16 16.00%
No, they are useful 45 45.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 01:03 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
A friend from England suggested they get rid of all paper dollars and only have coin ones which would make American currency more similar to most of Europe's. He complained that he's often fooled into thinking he has plenty of cash when in reality he only has several one dollar bills in his bill fold. A problem he doesn't have in merry old England.
You know, I don't think that's the overaching concern in the US, that Europeans can't keep track of how much money they have!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2009, 11:08 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,688,353 times
keep the penny and the nickel. EVERYTHING adds up. Newer generations just don't seem to understand that.

Old 03-01-2009, 07:20 AM

3,326 posts, read 8,860,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post
keep the penny and the nickel. EVERYTHING adds up. Newer generations just don't seem to understand that.
I'm not old, and I certainly understand that.
I say keep them, too. I save all that stuff in jars for those weeks when money gets a little tight.

Someone suggested that we get rid of all paper/coin money. If we did that, it would give me plenty of incentive to live off grid, off the land, avoid the outside world altogether. There would certainly be an underworld of gold, silver, and other precious metal traders. We could bring back bartering in full force, too. Come to think of it, maybe not a bad idea.
All those arguments for removing cash would be nil in no time.

Old 03-01-2009, 09:25 AM

88 posts, read 312,246 times
I realize that eliminating cash would not create a utopia, but all of the comments about how so many people are using their credit/debit cards to conduct business now anyways just goes to show that more and more cash is just being used for 'illicit' purposes. So why bother continuing to rack up the expense of printing and maintaining it?

Old 03-01-2009, 02:55 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,860,933 times
Cash has always been used for criminal purposes. Cards have the serious problem with identity theft.
I'd rather have a cash only system. I like being me. Don't want anyone else to be me.
Cash still seems safer for the individual person.

Old 03-01-2009, 04:41 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,513,296 times
The problem is NOT the currency it is the U.S. business practice...

For instance in most EU countries if you pay for something at a restaurant, the tax is going to be included in the final price... so instead of paying 12.89 for lunch after tax... you would pay an even 13. They still have smaller coins but do not see the use in having SOOO many in circulation.

Same goes for say a bag of chips... .99 cent here... end up paying 1.07 and busting a dollar, in Europe it would be 1 euro even, or 1,50. etc.

Old 03-01-2009, 05:45 PM

88 posts, read 312,246 times
I'm really having a problem coming to grips with the fact that things like identity theft are brought up to counter an idea that could remove all drug dealers from street corners.

Old 03-01-2009, 06:54 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,196,693 times
Do like the rest of the world seems to do and just factor the sales tax into prices. We list the pre-cost and add on random sales tax amounts. Most people list the items by their final cost. You can then price something to get round amounts.

Get rid of the penny, make dollar coins the norm, and show FINAL prices on store shelves.

So many foriegners are stupified when something says it's $3.00, and then they have to pay something like $3.06 and deal with all that coin change.

Old 03-01-2009, 07:09 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,513,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Do like the rest of the world seems to do and just factor the sales tax into prices. We list the pre-cost and add on random sales tax amounts. Most people list the items by their final cost. You can then price something to get round amounts.

Get rid of the penny, make dollar coins the norm, and show FINAL prices on store shelves.

So many foriegners are stupified when something says it's $3.00, and then they have to pay something like $3.06 and deal with all that coin change.
No doubt... I only carry cash these days for emergencies, hate having change everywhere... Try to put everything I can on my credit card, pay it off from my bank, and get the cash back or rewards.

Old 03-01-2009, 08:41 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,688,353 times
I use credit or debit when shopping. I always pay cash when I am at a restaurant or when I'm running into the store to pick up one or two things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.