U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-23-2008, 07:50 PM
 
11,897 posts, read 32,942,782 times
Reputation: 8666

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
You can't be serious? Paris is one of the most urban, diverse, important, cultural, entertainment and economic powerhouses in the world. Many of those I just named Paris exceeds over all cities in the world for. Much more than Singapore, Frankfurt, DC (heck the city is modeled after Paris), Toronto, or Moscow. It is consistently rated as one of the top cities in the world and it isn't only because of it's beauty. The city of Paris has the 5th largest GDP in the world and has the 2nd largest economy I believe in all of Europe.
I've gotta spread the love around before I can give you another rep, but you are right on about Paris. It doesn't have the skyline of Frankfurt, but it's an economic powerhouse that dwarfs just about any other city on the planet with very few exceptions. Most Western European countries, including Germany, are losing population, but France isn't, and Paris is the center of France's very large economy. Germany's very large economy is split between several large population centers. London and Paris are far and away the two most powerful cities in Europe. I suspect more Eastern Rim cities will overtake Paris and London in years to come as the world's economy shifts in that direction. There's a tremendous amount of wealth being created in China and India, and the potential in those countries is limitless compared to slow-growth Western Europe.

I do think it's odd that Houston isn't in the top 60 of the world's top cities. But I pretty much agree with the other American cities on the list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-23-2008, 08:12 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,650 posts, read 27,087,224 times
Reputation: 9580
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
I've gotta spread the love around before I can give you another rep, but you are right on about Paris. It doesn't have the skyline of Frankfurt, but it's an economic powerhouse that dwarfs just about any other city on the planet with very few exceptions. Most Western European countries, including Germany, are losing population, but France isn't, and Paris is the center of France's very large economy. Germany's very large economy is split between several large population centers. London and Paris are far and away the two most powerful cities in Europe. I suspect more Eastern Rim cities will overtake Paris and London in years to come as the world's economy shifts in that direction. There's a tremendous amount of wealth being created in China and India, and the potential in those countries is limitless compared to slow-growth Western Europe.

I do think it's odd that Houston isn't in the top 60 of the world's top cities. But I pretty much agree with the other American cities on the list.
Yep and nevertheless. Paris along with Venice, Istanbul, Rome, and London, is one of the cities I want to visit the most in Europe and that's saying something. Because I think Madrid, Barcelona, Berlin, and Prague are great cities too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2008, 08:34 PM
 
1,119 posts, read 2,464,153 times
Reputation: 382
Hi Sweetclimber, I understand your concern but Paris is always ranked among the most influential global cities. Out of the top 10 cities on the list, New York, London, Tokyo, Paris are always top tier world-class cities; The rest .. Hong Kong, Singapore, LA, Chicago, Toronto, Seoul are 2nd tier global cities.



Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
I visited Paris several years ago (along with several others in Europe) and I just wasn't that impressed with the place. It isn't awful, but I just thought that it was nowhere near as great as London or Frankfurt as far as Europe cities are concerned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2008, 08:46 PM
 
Location: Zurich, Switzerland/ Piedmont, CA
32,388 posts, read 55,214,514 times
Reputation: 15487
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown1 View Post
Hi Sweetclimber, I understand your concern but Paris is always ranked among the most influential global cities. Out of the top 10 cities on the list, New York, London, Tokyo, Paris are always top tier world-class cities; The rest .. Hong Kong, Singapore, LA, Chicago, Toronto, Seoul are 2nd tier global cities.
I dont think its that cut and dry anymore. I mean, there was a time when everything depended on NY and London, but as time goes by, these rankings become more and more irrelevent.

Chicago has most of the amenities that London and NY have as far as Im concerned. So does LA and Toronto and so forth.

I think it was more necessary to list this little rankings say in the 80s and 70s, but with the advent of the information superhighway and improved technology, for the most part, Dallas is just as connected to the outside world as Paris and Seattlites are just as savy as Londoners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2008, 11:47 PM
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
1,196 posts, read 4,342,857 times
Reputation: 606
I still think that this board over-rates Houston. Does Houston really belong with London, Paris, Hong Kong, New York, Chicago, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Tokyo, Beijing, etc. I do agree that it should be at least equal with Atlanta.

I just think of Houston as a second tier in the US, along with:

Seattle, Dallas, Atlanta, Detroit, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2008, 05:38 AM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,650 posts, read 27,087,224 times
Reputation: 9580
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave01 View Post
I still think that this board over-rates Houston. Does Houston really belong with London, Paris, Hong Kong, New York, Chicago, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Tokyo, Beijing, etc. I do agree that it should be at least equal with Atlanta.

I just think of Houston as a second tier in the US, along with:

Seattle, Dallas, Atlanta, Detroit, etc.
It's both honestly. It's overrated if people actually believe it does belong with New York, LA, Tokyo, Beijing, or HK. But it is underrated in a sense that people are shocked when they hear the actual stats about the city. I mean, not even mentioned in the top 60 when it has the 2nd most fortune 500 companies in the country, the highest GDP in the south, probably one of the most diverse communities in the nation, a very fast growing economy etc. etc. is laughable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2008, 05:51 AM
 
Location: Houston Texas
2,898 posts, read 2,881,097 times
Reputation: 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
It's both honestly. It's overrated if people actually believe it does belong with New York, LA, Tokyo, Beijing, or HK. But it is underrated in a sense that people are shocked when they hear the actual stats about the city. I mean, not even mentioned in the top 60 when it has the 2nd most fortune 500 companies in the country, the highest GDP in the south, probably one of the most diverse communities in the nation, a very fast growing economy etc. etc. is laughable.
Agreed, Houston is not at the level of NY, London, Tokyo but it is ahead of cities like Miami and Atlanta, that is for sure
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2008, 05:57 AM
 
Location: Scarsdale, NY
2,775 posts, read 10,725,107 times
Reputation: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
No. If anything, I'm mildly annoyed that "San Francisco" comes to represent other cities merely by having a recognizable name. I don't think SF is without merit (as that hsw guy seems to), but I do frown upon us being shoveled into the SF brand. I'm pretty much used to it by now, though. The global geniuses don't know one city from another.

As far as my original comment, it was not related to the particular rankings but rather the fact that they were ranked via vague and nebulous criteria. We all know they're significant cities, but someone feels the need to bring a bunch of crap science to make a story of it. That's just fluff, like I said.
You live in the LA area, correct? If so, where were you shoved into their brand?

Or are you in the Silicon Valley? If so, San Francisco is more wordly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2008, 05:59 AM
 
Location: Scarsdale, NY
2,775 posts, read 10,725,107 times
Reputation: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Uhh...then why is LA right after them? It is in very close competition with HK. It may not be equal to NYC, London, Paris, or Tokyo, but it is close to HK. Also, give it some time. Notice the top three are very old cities that have had worldly features for centuries longer than LA.
Being right after them doesn't mean anything. The line is always drawn between two cities. Hong Kong and LA have a big gap between them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2008, 07:33 AM
 
Location: Underneath the Pecan Tree
15,989 posts, read 30,701,367 times
Reputation: 7281
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave01 View Post
I still think that this board over-rates Houston. Does Houston really belong with London, Paris, Hong Kong, New York, Chicago, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Tokyo, Beijing, etc. I do agree that it should be at least equal with Atlanta.

I just think of Houston as a second tier in the US, along with:

Seattle, Dallas, Atlanta, Detroit, etc.
Who said Houston was with those cities???

I think this list has a lot to do with publicity as well. Houston dosen't get much attention from the media unless it's a hurricane headed our way, also the fact that it is located in Texas could be another negative for us. Houston is still a newer city than cities like ATL, and MIA when you think about history and how much the US and the world is exposed to Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top