U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you say "milk"?
"Milk", rhymes with "silk" or "ilk" 322 85.41%
"Melk", rhymes with "elk" 49 13.00%
Other 6 1.59%
Voters: 377. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 03:20 PM

44,686 posts, read 36,118,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
did her Mary sound like what you thought mightyqueen was saying with MAY-ree?
Sort of. It sounded like a much "harder" and pronounced "A" with more definition between the two syllables and less of a soft "h" sound between the two syllables. But it doesn't sound like "MAY" - it sounds more like "MEER" ry to me. More "r" and less "hr."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 09:59 PM

86,988 posts, read 102,540,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Another word I notice a lot is that some people pronounce "Auto" as "Otto". My sister once had a boyfriend named Otto, and my close friend had a German shepherd named Otto. When I hear people talk about buying an Otto, it sounds funny to me.
How do you pronounce those two?

Old 01-06-2014, 10:05 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 41,929,314 times
know you're not asking me, but auto starts with an "aww" sound, otto with an "ah" sound.

How would you pronounce them?

Old 01-06-2014, 10:29 PM

86,988 posts, read 102,540,351 times
Quote:
know you're not asking me, but auto starts with an "aww" sound, otto with an "ah" sound.

How would you pronounce them?
The same, like you pronounce "Otto".

Old 01-07-2014, 08:07 AM

56,005 posts, read 54,508,374 times
Quote:
The pronunciation transcriptions are extremely confusing. I suspect you're imagining a different sound than we intend. Hairy rhymes with "air", which is what mightqueen means by "HAY -ree". Harry does not. This might help:

Mary marry merry - YouTube
Thanks. That's the one I was looking for, but somehow it didn't pop up when I did my search.

No f words required.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
How do you pronounce those two?
Auto = AW-toe

Otto = AH-toe

Old 01-07-2014, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Ok since no one else is going to do it, hell, I will. Here is ME, pronouncing the words in question:

Vocaroo | Voice message

OK and let's add "auto" as well.

Vocaroo | Voice message
Hey, that's pretty cool!

Your "Mary" sounds the same as my "Mary". However, your "marry" and your "merry" also sounds the same as my "Mary"!

Your "Auto" and "Otto" sound the same, and are like I would say "Otto".

Bet you don't say "tawk" and "cawfee", either.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:42 AM

888 posts, read 1,343,110 times
Milk rhymes with silk.

Originally from Massachusetts.

Years ago (mid to late 90's) when I was in the Air Force I was watching an infomercial on TV about a special pillow filled with buckwheat husks called the Sobakowa Pillow.....

The hostess of the infomercial was a blonde lady and she kept pronouncing the word PILLOW as PELLOW..

She must have said the word PELLOW at least 200 times during that freaking infomercial....

I wanted to throw my TV out of the window!!!!!!!!!!!!......

Don't you think that a prerequisite of hosting an infomercial on national TV about a PILLOW should be....

THAT YOU CAN FREAKING PRONOUNCE THE WORD PILLOW CORRECTLY!!!!!!!!......

I can't believe the producer, director, or the owner of the PILLOW company didn't pick up on it!!!!!!

Seriously.....

She said PELLOW at least 200 times.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Hey, that's pretty cool!

Your "Mary" sounds the same as my "Mary". However, your "marry" and your "merry" also sounds the same as my "Mary"!

Your "Auto" and "Otto" sound the same, and are like I would say "Otto".

Bet you don't say "tawk" and "cawfee", either.
Well, let's see! (It's hard to really know how we sound to other people so I'll let you decide!)

Vocaroo | Voice message

Old 01-07-2014, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-R-B View Post
Milk rhymes with silk.

Originally from Massachusetts.

Years ago (mid to late 90's) when I was in the Air Force I was watching an infomercial on TV about a special pillow filled with buckwheat husks called the Sobakowa Pillow.....

The hostess of the infomercial was a blonde lady and she kept pronouncing the word PILLOW as PELLOW..

She must have said the word PELLOW at least 200 times during that freaking infomercial....

I wanted to throw my TV out of the window!!!!!!!!!!!!......

Don't you think that a prerequisite of hosting an infomercial on national TV about a PILLOW should be....

THAT YOU CAN FREAKING PRONOUNCE THE WORD PILLOW CORRECTLY!!!!!!!!......

I can't believe the producer, director, or the owner of the PILLOW company didn't pick up on it!!!!!!

Seriously.....

She said PELLOW at least 200 times.
Oh I can so relate!!!!

There's a particular commercial about something, I can't remember what, but it plays on XM/Sirius radio all the time on the news channels (so much for commercial free radio, huh - but I digress). Anyway, the guy says "DOLE-er" instead of "dollar" OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN. It drives me absolutely insane!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.