Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you pronounce "bag"?
The same way as "beg", or virtually the same 17 5.90%
With the same vowel as "bad" or "radical" 239 82.99%
Neither way 32 11.11%
Voters: 288. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 09:01 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,075,544 times

Advertisements

I think mine sounds more like the second one but like bah-yug or something like that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2008, 11:26 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,216,031 times
OP - if you are in duluth you are saying it wrong

my wife grew up in MN and teaches down here in AZ - although her accent isn't that strong, she still carries the jacked up "a" pronunciation - bag, flag, tag, etc

my sister in law lived with us last year and she's also a teacher - she came back fuming one day that the kids were picking on her accent and that she wasn't in the wrong

the word was wagon - she was pronouncing it closer to weighgun - after confirming that the kids were right she got upset with me and threw out if wagon is pronounced the way you say it is then why does a dog "waiyg" it's tail? .............. my doubling over in laughter didn't help the situation

Old 10-24-2008, 12:05 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,709,848 times
Bag, like nag, hag, rag, etc. You're from Minnesota, you have an awful accent, it's almost as bad as the "Great Lakes" or "Boston" accent.

True story; up until two years ago I was living in Los Angeles as a working actor. A female acquaintance of mine told a bunch of us that she was excited because she was joining SAAAG. Another friend of ours looked at her with utter confusion and he said, "You're joining, what?" "SAAAAG", she responded again. This went on for about two minutes before I chimed in, "She's joining SAG (Screen Actors Guild) but since she's from Minnesota, so all "A's" are long "A's". Everyone had a good laugh. Seriously though, on the annoying scale the Minnesota accent is my 3rd most hated accent after the Boston and Great Lakes (Rochester to Michigan/Wisconsin) accents. Awful, utterly awful.

Old 10-24-2008, 10:26 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,858,234 times
^^ Don't mean to be contrary, but...
It's actually one of my favorite accents. So is New England's.

Being from the south, most southern accents actually kind of annoy me. They shouldn't, I guess, because people really can't help it, but I just have a hard time understanding them all of the time.

I don't remember hearing anything but the strong aaa sound, until I went to northern Minnesota, where the check out lady asked the people in front of me if they wanted the tig(?) removed. I didn't realize what she was saying 'till she started alluding to Minnie Pearl, who left the 'tigs' on her hat. The young people buying the hat had a hard time figuring out who Minnie Pearl was. One of them did actually remember her from when he was apparently very little. I though it was all kind of neat.

Old 10-24-2008, 10:36 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,118,347 times
I can't believe nobody else pronounces the two the same!

I rarely ever hear "bag" pronounced differently from "beg".

Old 10-24-2008, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
I can't believe nobody else pronounces the two the same!

I rarely ever hear "bag" pronounced differently from "beg".
That's because the majority of the country speaks proper English and pronounces words the way they're suppose to. Why would you pronounce two different words with two different vowels the same? Do you pronounce cat and cot the same?

Old 10-25-2008, 01:14 AM

1,261 posts, read 4,270,554 times
I'm from North Carolina and I pronounce "bag" with a short "a".

I can't help but shake my head when I'm watching House Hunters when they're in Chicago or Wisconsin or somewhere else up that way and the people say "beg" or "baig". No offense meant, but it really is unpleasant to my ears.

Old 10-25-2008, 07:33 AM

3,326 posts, read 8,858,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
That's because the majority of the country speaks proper English and pronounces words the way they're suppose to.
Uhhhhhh.......... this is too good...
Never been to Arkansas? Or Louisiana? Or Maine? Or Texas? Or North Carolina? Or Tennessee? Or Alabama? Or Missouri? Or New York? Or Idaho? Or Alaska? Or New Mexico? Or any other state that has it's own dialect?
What about England? Where you know, the English language was handed down to us. I bet they don't sound a thing like your region does, and would probably accuse you all of not speaking proper English.

Old 10-25-2008, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
Uhhhhhh.......... this is too good...
Never been to Arkansas? Or Louisiana? Or Maine? Or Texas? Or North Carolina? Or Tennessee? Or Alabama? Or Missouri? Or New York? Or Idaho? Or Alaska? Or New Mexico? Or any other state that has it's own dialect?
What about England? Where you know, the English language was handed down to us. I bet they don't sound a thing like your region does, and would probably accuse you all of not speaking proper English.
Pronunciations are not suppose to be regional; just because they are doesn't make it right. If you look up a word in the dictionary, it doesn't give you regional pronunciations, it gives you the correct one and possibly an alternate one.

I speak for a living so I have to pronounce things correctly, plus it also happens to be a pet peeve of mine. Where I grew up, South Jersey, our accent is brutal. It's very similar to Philly and Baltimore, vestiges of Cornish. People there pronounce water=wooder, cow=Kale. It's awful.

Without a doubt thought the worst is the Cleveland/Chicago (Great Lakes) accent. It's so nasally and whiny. SNL even did a skit about it years ago, it was called Pate and Patteys Bake Pake Shake:

Come down to Pate and Patteys Bake Pake Shake, we've got all kinds of bake pakes, nape sakes and haind begs.

It was really funny.

As for the British accent, that's an odd one, They invented the language but utterly destroyed it; adding "R's" to the end of words that don't have them and then ignoring them when they're suppose to be there. Same for Australia. I was in OZ for three weeks and there accent is very similar to Boston.

This sentence in England, Boston or Australia:

Linda and Lisa jumped into their car, drove down to the bar and ordered some beer and pizza, would sound like these in the three aforementioned locales:

Linder and Leeser jumped into their cah, drove down to the bah and ordered some beeuh and peetzer.

I have an accent fetish. I wish you could here me impersonate accents, I'm really good.

Old 10-25-2008, 11:05 AM

3,071 posts, read 8,019,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
I think mine sounds more like the second one but like bah-yug or something like that
Yes Missymom, mine sounds more like yours than just bag like sad. I have been paying attention to my pronunciation and mine sounds a little bit closer to "bayg", but not quite. Something in between bag and bayg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.