U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 06:44 PM

3,441 posts, read 5,002,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
The very first sentence in this thread was "What's not to like about Chicago?" Some of us are providing answers to that question, even if you don't want to hear them. Yes, it's a great city. Yes, many who live here enjoy living here. But there's still room for improvement, and getting rid of the gangs would be #1 on just about everyone's list, even as you dismiss them as taking nothing away from the city. That's complete horse crap. They have effectively ruined about half this city with several neighborhoods currently teetering on the brink of ruin.
Whatever, you misunderstood my point totally. More than likely I worded it wrong. I was not saying that we should not do anything about them and just dismiss them as you are trying to say that I meant. Who in their right minds would not think that getting rid of gangs are important. Jeez. I am not going to get into a fight with you. You attacked my post first. Uhhhh.....forget it............tired of explaining myself. Goodnight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2008, 06:51 PM

38,690 posts, read 89,196,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Jack22 View Post
Don't preach to me like I am a second grader.
Then don't say breathtakingly ignorant things such as "gang-related murders do not take away from the city" if you don't like being corrected. They very obviously do as anyone with rudimentary observation skills can see for themselves.

Old 10-25-2008, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Whatever, you misunderstood my point totally. More than likely I worded it wrong. I was not saying that we should not do anything about them and just dismiss them as you are trying to say that I meant. Who in their right minds would not think that getting rid of gangs are important. Jeez. I am not going to get into a fight with you. You attacked my post first. Uhhhh.....forget it............tired of explaining myself. Goodnight.
OK then... bye now.

Old 10-25-2008, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Shut up, I can say what I want to. If you do not like it, leave the thread. I already explained that I did not mean it like I posted it.
You don't own this stage, pal. Anything you say here is subject to perusal, study and response, sometimes critical response. That's how a chat forum works. If you don't like it, leave the forum and write a blog where you don't have to interact with anyone else. You are not going to tell me when I can and cannot respond to your posts in an open forum, so kindly disabuse yourself of that notion right now.

Yes, you finally got around to explaining yourself, but you could have avoided 90% of this exchange if you had clarified yourself right away instead of dishing out your snarky little "chill homie" response.

Old 10-25-2008, 07:10 PM

3,441 posts, read 5,002,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
You don't own this stage, pal. Anything you say here is subject to perusal, study and response, sometimes critical response. That's how a chat forum works. If you don't like it, leave the forum and write a blog where you don't have to interact with anyone else. You are not going to tell me when I can and cannot respond to your posts in an open forum, so kindly disabuse yourself of that notion right now.

Yes, you finally got around to explaining yourself, but you could have avoided 90% of this exchange if you had clarified yourself right away instead of dishing out your snarky little "chill homie" response.
You are taking it way out of proportion man. I did not even mean it like you took it. Neither of my posts. Neither comment. I did not feel I had to clarify myself because I have said the same thing in other threads and no one took it like you are right now. I was not even thinking when I wrote that post. I only explained myself after you posted in response to what I wrote. You are the first to come at me like this since I registered on here. You came at me first, I defended myself because I felt that you were attacking me.

Old 10-25-2008, 07:24 PM

OK, whatever. I thought you were done explaining yourself. "Chill, homie."

Old 10-26-2008, 01:55 AM

58 posts, read 181,934 times
Wow. Black Jack22 is getting a raw deal here. I thought it was pretty freaking obvious what he was actually saying. Some of you oversensitive internet crusaders do need to 'chill.'

Old 10-26-2008, 09:47 AM

6,967 posts, read 18,209,971 times
i still can't believe i haven't visited the windy city yet

Old 10-26-2008, 10:29 AM

3,597 posts, read 7,705,848 times
I'll say this about the weather, and Chicago's scenery in general.

It is flat and cold and gray most of the time; summer, the only season one can be outside, is also the rainiest season by precipitation. Those damn Lakes are giant cloud factories, and the arctic winds that ravage the plains are not stopped by any sort of mountain range.

With that being said, I currently live in Los Angeles, and it's easy to see how uninhabitable this place would be without the unsustainable water system currently in place. It's amazing to me, someone born and for the most part raised in Chicago, how brown the majority of the United States is. All of the southwest, most of the southeast and most of SoCal is just... incredibly brown. Texas and NM especially-- I had no idea earth could be so utterly... brown. Or that people would stand to live in that environment.

Precipitation is a blessing, even in someplace with as generic a scenery as Chicagoland. Those heavy winters feed the ground water and kill the parasites, including the homeless and the insane that currently stalk the streets of Los Angeles. I'm convinced that instead of killing them Hollywood has just given them cameras and a TV crew, and that's why reality TV is what it is now.

Old 10-26-2008, 10:46 AM

3,507 posts, read 7,314,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
I'll say this about the weather, and Chicago's scenery in general.

It is flat and cold and gray most of the time; summer, the only season one can be outside, is also the rainiest season by precipitation. Those damn Lakes are giant cloud factories, and the arctic winds that ravage the plains are not stopped by any sort of mountain range.

With that being said, I currently live in Los Angeles, and it's easy to see how uninhabitable this place would be without the unsustainable water system currently in place. It's amazing to me, someone born and for the most part raised in Chicago, how brown the majority of the United States is. All of the southwest, most of the southeast and most of SoCal is just... incredibly brown. Texas and NM especially-- I had no idea earth could be so utterly... brown. Or that people would stand to live in that environment.

Precipitation is a blessing, even in someplace with as generic a scenery as Chicagoland. Those heavy winters feed the ground water and kill the parasites, including the homeless and the insane that currently stalk the streets of Los Angeles. I'm convinced that instead of killing them Hollywood has just given them cameras and a TV crew, and that's why reality TV is what it is now.
Can you please explain what you mean about California and most of the United States is brown. BTW, New York City is mostly flat and cold too, just like Chicago. People live in Chicagoland, because alot of people like it here and there is alot of stuff to do. Like seriously, how many Californians actually go rock climbing ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or