U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 10:49 AM

3,596 posts, read 7,706,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
Can you please explain what you mean about California and most of the United States is brown. BTW, New York City is mostly flat and cold too, just like Chicago. People live in Chicagoland, because alot of people like it here and there is alot of stuff to do. Like seriously, how many Californians actually go rock climbing ?
I sure as hell don't.

I think it's obvious what I mean by the brown landscape.

NYC isn't nearly as cold as Chicago, and NY State is nowhere near as flat or featureless as Illinois. It's certainly no WA State but still.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2008, 10:54 AM

3,507 posts, read 7,314,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
I sure as hell don't.

I think it's obvious what I mean by the brown landscape.

NYC isn't nearly as cold as Chicago, and NY State is nowhere near as flat or featureless as Illinois. It's certainly no WA State but still.
Wow NYC is like 5-10 degrees warmer, thats really a huge difference(sarcasm). I wasn't talking about NY state, NYC is flat and cold just like Chicago.

Old 10-26-2008, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Wow NYC is like 5-10 degrees warmer, thats really a huge difference(sarcasm). I wasn't talking about NY state, NYC is flat and cold just like Chicago.
Actually, no. I mean winter is winter, but winter days in Manhattan are just damp. I've never frozen my ass off in Manhattan like I did in Chicago. The city feels wet and "damp", but not as bitingly cold. Chicago is so open and spaced, you definitely feel the winter. The proximity of buildings in Manhattan is so extreme that you nearly always feel the heat from internal sources.

Secondly, even Manhattan isn't as flat as Chicago

Old 10-26-2008, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Actually, no. I mean winter is winter, but winter days in Manhattan are just damp. I've never frozen my ass off in Manhattan like I did in Chicago. The city feels wet and "damp", but not as bitingly cold. Chicago is so open and spaced, you definitely feel the winter. The proximity of buildings in Manhattan is so extreme that you nearly always feel the heat from internal sources.

Secondly, even Manhattan isn't as flat as Chicago
Yes it is, Its like 60 degrees in NYC today right now to Chicago 55 degrees; it is a 5-10 degree difference. You talking about Manhattan, not the whole NYC. For the most part NYC is flat. Nobody think of NYC as hilly, Omaha have more hills than NYC and its a midwest city. NYC is about as warm as Central Illinois, not a huge difference.

Old 10-26-2008, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Yes it is, Its like 60 degrees in NYC today right now to Chicago 55 degrees; it is a 5-10 degree difference. You talking about Manhattan, not the whole NYC. For the most part NYC is flat. Nobody think of NYC as hilly, Omaha have more hills than NYC and its a midwest city. NYC is about as warm as Central Illinois, not a huge difference.
Why did your English skills suddenly drop so dramatically?

Of course I'm talking about Manhattan. That's what everyone means when they're talking about NYC.

Old 10-26-2008, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Why did your English skills suddenly drop so dramatically?

Of course I'm talking about Manhattan. That's what everyone means when they're talking about NYC.
Lol This is the internet, you don't have to use correct English all the time, you act like I was using Pig Latin. Anyway, Manhattan/NYC is mostly flat and cold in the winter just like Chicago. Those little hills you find in parts of Manhattan don't cover NYC flatness.

Old 10-26-2008, 12:08 PM

0 posts, read 1,351,147 times
Quote:
Lol This is the internet, you don't have to use correct English all the time, you act like I was using Pig Latin. Anyway, Manhattan/NYC is mostly flat and cold just like Chicago. Those little hills you find in parts of Manhattan don't cover NYC flatness.
There are actually cliffs and and Hills in NYC....Bronx, Staten Island, Northern Manhattan and Queens...I'm not sure about Brooklyn. Manhattan was very hilly but the hills were shaved off for construction.

Chicago and the region is extremely flat.

Staten Island:

Bronx:

Northern Manattan:

A two miles outside of NYC

Last edited by Americanboy; 10-26-2008 at 12:17 PM..

Old 10-26-2008, 12:16 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,085 posts, read 11,453,292 times
Quote:
With that being said, I currently live in Los Angeles, and it's easy to see how uninhabitable this place would be without the unsustainable water system currently in place. It's amazing to me, someone born and for the most part raised in Chicago, how brown the majority of the United States is. All of the southwest, most of the southeast and most of SoCal is just... incredibly brown. Texas and NM especially-- I had no idea earth could be so utterly... brown. Or that people would stand to live in that environment.
What in blazes are you talking about Texas and the Southeast being brown? The eastern half of Texas is most assuredly not brown, and neither is the Southeast.

Old 10-26-2008, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanboy View Post
There are actually cliffs and and Hills in NYC....Bronx, Staten Island, Northern Manhattan and Queens...I'm not sure about Brooklyn. Manhattan was very hilly but the hills were shaved off for construction.

Chicago and the region is extremely flat.

Staten Island:

Bronx:

Northern Manattan:

A two miles outside of NYC
I agree with you that Manhattan was hilly before they shaved them off long time ago for constuction. They showed a documentary on NYC on the History Channel. Manhattan probably wouldn't have all those high rises and it wouldn't be the city its is now if they didn't get rid of the hills. Manhattan would've been another San Francisco or Seattle if the hills were stll there.

Old 10-26-2008, 03:16 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,243,858 times
Quote:
Can you please explain what you mean about California and most of the United States is brown. BTW, New York City is mostly flat and cold too, just like Chicago. People live in Chicagoland, because alot of people like it here and there is alot of stuff to do. Like seriously, how many Californians actually go rock climbing ?
Wow she was saying that Chicago may have bad weather, but at least it's not brown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or