U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Phoenix or Inland Empire?
Phoenix 9 40.91%
Inland Empire 13 59.09%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 12:53 PM

41 posts, read 76,833 times

Advertisements

Which is better for singles, such as people under 30? Diversity? Quality of life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2008, 03:15 PM

5,608 posts, read 20,736,678 times
Phoenix-- but I sure as heck wouldn't pick Avondale for singles in their 20s. I would live in Scottsdale or Tempe.

Old 10-24-2008, 04:45 PM

6,867 posts, read 12,825,074 times
Phoenix

Old 10-25-2008, 11:43 AM

841 posts, read 2,542,157 times
Smile You better read this article about Phoenix

I would go with the inland empire. Read this.

This the real Phoenix
Phoenix is well compared as a larger version of Fresno or maybe even a little tinge of El Paso you know a big dry dusty flavorless giant suburb of tile rooftops with rocks and dirt. A stucco and concrete jungle. A large portion of it run down and riddled with illegals. A cultureless expanse of transplants with no sense of community. A sprawling generic cookie cutter village of endless redundance. All you see is the same shopping center and master planned community over and over again. Its a colorless empty ghost town with very little to do at all. It's a work and go home type of place that is monotonous and grinding. It's a lifeless pointless meaningless nowhere land. This place was better off being left as a cotton field. They had no business breaking the ground in order to put up their featureless architectually void dull drab developements sprawling for ridiculous distances in all directions. Phoenix is Bedroom Community dependant and freeway lacking. It reeks of John F. Longs slums.It is landlocked by Indian reservations. It is one big giant FOR SALE SIGN! wich is really an SOS flag for all the homes sinking into foreclosure and cluttering the landscape with abandoned houses over ran with weeds and broken windows. Can't you see that to most people Phoenix is just a stepping stone for transplants who hold their real loyalty to their hometown. Why do you think that theres no sense of community here.

Old 10-25-2008, 11:48 AM

2,498 posts, read 10,296,622 times
^^^
The above can be applicable to the Inland Empire as well. It is the newest area of Southern California and is full of transplants from Los Angeles, Orange, and San Diego Counties who could no longer afford to live there and moved inland for a bigger stucco house on a bigger lot. In many ways the Inland Empire is similar to Phoenix in its lack of culture. The only positives are cheaper land than LA/OC/SD (although Phoenix is even cheaper), close to the ski resorts in the mountains, hiking, and closer for the weekend trip to Las Vegas. Otherwise, I don't see many positives for the Inland Empire over Phoenix other than it is close to Los Angeles.

Old 10-25-2008, 12:10 PM

5,656 posts, read 7,462,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
I would go with the inland empire. Read this.

This the real Phoenix
Phoenix is well compared as a larger version of Fresno or maybe even a little tinge of El Paso you know a big dry dusty flavorless giant suburb of tile rooftops with rocks and dirt. A stucco and concrete jungle. A large portion of it run down and riddled with illegals. A cultureless expanse of transplants with no sense of community. A sprawling generic cookie cutter village of endless redundance. All you see is the same shopping center and master planned community over and over again. Its a colorless empty ghost town with very little to do at all. It's a work and go home type of place that is monotonous and grinding. It's a lifeless pointless meaningless nowhere land. This place was better off being left as a cotton field. They had no business breaking the ground in order to put up their featureless architectually void dull drab developements sprawling for ridiculous distances in all directions. Phoenix is Bedroom Community dependant and freeway lacking. It reeks of John F. Longs slums.It is landlocked by Indian reservations. It is one big giant FOR SALE SIGN! wich is really an SOS flag for all the homes sinking into foreclosure and cluttering the landscape with abandoned houses over ran with weeds and broken windows. Can't you see that to most people Phoenix is just a stepping stone for transplants who hold their real loyalty to their hometown. Why do you think that theres no sense of community here.
It appears you have never been to Phoenix. You like to overgeneralize, don't you?

Last edited by AZLiam; 10-25-2008 at 12:21 PM..

Old 10-25-2008, 03:51 PM

7,731 posts, read 12,201,041 times
I would go with the Inland Empire.

Old 10-27-2008, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Phoenix-- but I sure as heck wouldn't pick Avondale for singles in their 20s. I would live in Scottsdale or Tempe.

How far is avondale from tempe? And why did you pick Phoenix?

Old 10-27-2008, 02:31 PM

5,608 posts, read 20,736,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohraa View Post
How far is avondale from tempe? And why did you pick Phoenix?
#1- Look it up on mapquest. About a 30-45 minute drive, depending on traffic. #2- Better to live in a core part (not Avondale-- I wouldn't even consider anything in the west valley-- only either northeast central Phoenix, Scottsdale, or Tempe) of a smaller but more manageable major metro area and have access to the best it has to offer than in a far flung outreach of a disasterously huge city, technically part of greater LA but way too far away from major employment, recreational, and cultural centers to be of any use.

Old 10-27-2008, 03:18 PM

I see. So if avondale was only option... you would pick the IE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
#1- Look it up on mapquest. About a 30-45 minute drive, depending on traffic. #2- Better to live in a core part (not Avondale-- I wouldn't even consider anything in the west valley-- only either northeast central Phoenix, Scottsdale, or Tempe) of a smaller but more manageable major metro area and have access to the best it has to offer than in a far flung outreach of a disasterously huge city, technically part of greater LA but way too far away from major employment, recreational, and cultural centers to be of any use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or