U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 05:18 PM

3,669 posts, read 8,840,225 times

Advertisements

I'm hoping the high speed rail in Georgia happens. They are proposing a line between Atlanta and Nashville via Chattanooga. A line from Atlanta to Savannah would be nice too, and wish it existed 20 years ago. Also a line from Atlanta to Orlando and Miami would be good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2008, 05:46 PM

18,633 posts, read 27,052,687 times
Interstate 35 in Texas really really needs it. With a growing population on that corridor, something needs to be done and you can't keep expanding the lanes on the current freeway to fill the volume. DFW, San Antonio, Houston is a triangle would be great with a stop obviously in Austin and have a connection from Austin to Houston.

Old 10-25-2008, 05:47 PM

55,659 posts, read 74,604,692 times
i dont think it is guna happen. americans wont ride the rails bek we got mean streets. cars are protection from them.

Old 10-25-2008, 07:48 PM

9,188 posts, read 30,229,109 times
I'm not aware of any working (as in for the public to ride) high speed or Maglev systems in the U.S. right now.

Actually, only about 4 miles from my house, "American Maglev" has a test track and train set up where they court business from over the world. They're hidden away behind some woods and not open to the public (no public tours), but they DO exist and have been there a while. You can read up on them here: AMT - Mass Transit For The Future - Test Track - Powder Springs, Ga

Old 10-25-2008, 08:06 PM

18,633 posts, read 27,052,687 times
The only high speed rail right now in the country is in the BosWash corridor. It's the Acela. But they honestly need it. But I can see other regions where it would work as well. You'll never see high speed rail covering the entire nation. People will not have the patience and they would rather fly anyway.

Old 10-26-2008, 08:00 AM

3,628 posts, read 9,211,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
IMO, a massive waste of taxpayer money....

Fill the potholes in the damn freeways; make fwys in Podunk unlimited speeds, like in Germany; and tighten driver's licenses to award them to those who can prove ability to drive safely on fwys and stay out of left lane except when passing....

Few who actually pay taxes really drive btwn LA and SF or NYC and Bos/Wash or Chic to Detroit or Dall to Hou, etc....these are business routes that most taxpayers fly anyway....

And for pleasure trips, most taxpayers w/2-3 kids live in affluent suburbs of these vast urban regions and are traveling to suburbs of other urban regions to visit relatives/friends and prefer safety/comfort/privacy/convenience of own car, not some mass transit nonsense....

After all, a car is a poor man's version of a private plane....if affordable, most would rather have their own G550 fly them between SiliconValley and Malibu, not VirginAmerica or some other commercial airline, let alone a 3rdWorld train....
your posts continue to crack me up!

I wasn't aware that Spain, Japan and France were third world countries! Thanks for the info!

Spade, what's the point of flying if you potentially may have to waste 2-4 hours with the airport hassle? I know for a fact (because i have volunteered with the association advocating it) that at least the HSR network being talked about in the Chicago area would be a viable alternative for those little connecting flights on cramped little planes that happen between smaller cities and Chicago. I know for a fact if we had a decent rail network that i would never fly again.

Old 10-26-2008, 11:02 AM

160 posts, read 466,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
I think high speed rail between Kansas City and St. Louis would be great. The traffic on I-70 between those towns makes you feel like you never leave the city, and there's as many 18-wheelers through there as there are cars. If I had a extra couple of hours, I'd just take the scenic route to avoid all that mess.
Could not agree more!

Old 10-26-2008, 11:09 AM

3,398 posts, read 7,143,501 times
ROTFLMAO

High speed rail? In MY city? LMAO

Thanks for the chuckle.

Old 10-26-2008, 11:23 AM

3,597 posts, read 7,705,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
your posts continue to crack me up!

I wasn't aware that Spain, Japan and France were third world countries! Thanks for the info!

Spade, what's the point of flying if you potentially may have to waste 2-4 hours with the airport hassle? I know for a fact (because i have volunteered with the association advocating it) that at least the HSR network being talked about in the Chicago area would be a viable alternative for those little connecting flights on cramped little planes that happen between smaller cities and Chicago. I know for a fact if we had a decent rail network that i would never fly again.
Apparently for some bull**** reason I couldn't give you reputation... I'm not aware why, or if is yet another sandbox, PG-13 control by our nannies. But if I were able to give you reputation, I would have

Right on. If I had reliable rail, I'd never, ever fly again.

Old 10-26-2008, 12:39 PM

1,573 posts, read 5,650,182 times
I'm all for high speed rail trains, but I wonder how much the coming recession will hamper the current plans and efforts to move it along. Many states and cities have severely depleted tax revenues and the federal government has its hands full bailing out private sector banks and insurance companies (not to mention the seven billion dollar "rescue" loan that the feds gave California and Gov. Schwarzenegger's request). Hopefully, the rail corridor plans move forward and they get built soon. I just do not know where the money is going to come from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.