U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 01:21 PM

505 posts, read 1,225,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
The only high speed rail right now in the country is in the BosWash corridor. It's the Acela. But they honestly need it. But I can see other regions where it would work as well. You'll never see high speed rail covering the entire nation. People will not have the patience and they would rather fly anyway.
I see people using the Acela all the time. At South Station, Acela trains are constantly coming and going and departures leave quite frequently, headed to Washington and stopping at all the major cities along the way. I think its quite convenient. But from what I understand, the Acela is a lot slower than Europe's high speed lines.

I definitely agree with you about never seeing a high speed rail across the country. This nation is simply too big; its much easier to fly to California from the East Coast or vice-versa and make one stop than to go on a train that goes much slower and makes more stops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 08:46 PM

13,738 posts, read 9,852,840 times
Default High Speed Rail Is Not The Answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by goozer View Post
I'm all for high speed rail trains, .... Hopefully, the rail corridor plans move forward and they get built soon. I just do not know where the money is going to come from.
Personally, I LOVE rail, because steel wheel on steel rail is efficient, and electric powered trains will cut petroleum consumption. For dense population urban areas, rail is the answer for mass transit in the 21st century.

But for trips over 150 miles, high speed rail is not the answer.

WHY HIGH SPEED RAIL WON'T HAPPEN:
A good explanation of technical details that expose the obstacles in America.
Passenger Rail for the Shasta Route: Table of Contents

In short, Federal Rail Regs and the track design favor slow, heavy freight, not fast and light passenger / cargo trains. On straight, flat terrain, both can coexist, but once you have curves or inclines, you need a different set of tracks for high speed rail to operate efficiently.

Alternatives to consider:
Cut automobile / truck volume by 66%.
Replace long haul trucks with rail freight.
Replace automobiles with MASS TRANSIT
Urban and Interurban rail - moderate speed streetcars (trams), light rail, electric powered, and either privately owned (tax exempt) or public authority (subsidized).

Intercity Passenger Transportation:
Rotodyne / Gyroplane point - to - point
Fairey Rotodyne - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(1950 : 44 passenger load at 200 MPH)
CarterCopter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
CGT-150 & CHT-150 Transport Overview on CarterAviationTechnologies.com (http://www.cartercopters.com/heliplane_overview.html - broken link)
" The CGT-150 is designed to cruise at 500 MPH at 30,000 ft altitude and carry a 140,000 lb payload for over 1000 miles. "
Groen Brothers Aviation, Inc. - The leader in Gyrodyne technology.

A compound gyrocopter airliner can overcome the drawbacks of airport bound jet aircraft. No high speed rail can match aircraft cruise speed. No helicopter has the altitude or range capability.

Compound gyrocopters are far more reliable (and simpler) than tilt rotor craft (like V-22 Osprey). Unfortunately, too many billions have been sunk into the tilt rotor and its big brother, the quad rotor. If a tilt rotor loses power, while in hover, it won't autorotate. It will crash. If a compound gyrocopter loses power, it autorotates to a soft landing.

In addition, a fleet of gyroliners won't be a burden on existing airports, since they can (design dependent) do vertical takeoffs or short roll takeoffs, and vertical landings.

Combine all the solutions, and the 21st century will be fine.

Old 11-01-2008, 06:44 PM

3,323 posts, read 9,573,185 times
I know they are talking high speed rail between Cleveland and Pittsburgh w/a stop in the Youngstown area. That would be great for everyone know here in the Youngstown area that commutes to either Cleveland or Pittsburgh.

Old 11-01-2008, 11:03 PM

638 posts, read 1,957,572 times
There have been talks of a mag lev train to run between Los Angeles and Las Vegas for quite sometime. Seems similar to proposals in other parts of the country, mostly talk, but this one would be backed by private investment.... Victorville‚€“Las Vegas high-speed train plan gains steam - Travel - LATimes.com

Old 11-01-2008, 11:17 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,966,925 times
I thnik that we will see the rail system in the austin subburbs first from wehat I have heard then maybe houton area with laterconnections to other areas. Most likely have to be major funding by the staer has the feds aren't going to have much money to put into these projects for years.

Old 11-06-2008, 04:05 PM

3,628 posts, read 9,215,253 times
the California measure passed!

Now maybe other states will start thinking about alternatives to just building and widening more highways.

Old 11-06-2008, 04:25 PM

15,470 posts, read 25,429,588 times
^ yes it did pass!! Was very worried it wouldn't b/c of this state's and the countries financial situation. I hope CA can get it's finances in order and build this thing right, on time, and on budget....and that is a lot of hope there.

It won't be running for a while but all the planning is done so all they have to do is acquire the land, probably a good time to buy land as I would think prices are cheaper, and build it. So happy it passed and I'll finally have an alternative to driving or flying, both of which I hate.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:26 PM

2,506 posts, read 7,759,238 times
Rep. Oberstar has a powerful seat on the transportation committee in Congress. He is an avid biker and is a strong supporter of rail. With a Democratic Congress and White House, there is good chance of giving alot more money to Amtrak. Minneapolis broke ground on a commuter rail, but it will almost certainly be extended to Saint Cloud at some point. There is also a strong likelihood of construction on a line between Minneapolis and Duluth will begin in perhaps just a year or two. Along with Calif. passing their train bill, it is safe to say that rail travel will enjoy a boost that it hasn't seen in 60 years.

Old 11-07-2008, 07:27 AM

4,000 posts, read 10,451,219 times
Jetgraphics posted some interesting links about the feasibility of High Speed Rail, however, I believe he is off the mark when he says High Speed Rail is NOT the answer. High Speed Rail is not nor ever will be the answer for long distance travel. At a certain distance rail can't compete with the speed of air travel, but at shorter distances when you have to build into air travel the same overhead times of check in and security rail becomes time cost competitive. I think the SF-LA-SD route will do that. There is only one mountain range where where new track will have to be laid, the Tehachapis, and that can be done with the HSR in mind. No one has proposted connecting Seattle and LA via HSR, and at that distance, I don't see how HSR could ever compete, but LA-SF, that will work.

And as Northbound74 from Missouri commented about how the drive from Kansas City to St. Louis made you feel you never left the city with all of the traffic and semi-trucks on the road, the same could be said about the I-5 north of the Grapevine. Here a driver is in the middle of nowhere; nothing but miles of nearly vacant farmland or desert on either side, and yet you feel like you're in the middle of an urban traffic jam trying to negotiate around the slow moving truck traffic. True, this could be solved by a major widening of the I-5 from the Grapevine to Stockton, but why not invest that money in high speed rail and get a time savings on the trip time as a bonus.

Old 11-07-2008, 08:23 AM

4,036 posts, read 8,943,879 times
High-speed rail is great if it's actually high-speed. The "high-speed" Acela from New York to DC is only about half an hour faster than the regular Amtrak. Compared with Europe it's a joke. To get real high-speed you have to lay new tracks and that’s very, very expensive. It's would take the same kind of investment we made in the Interstate freeway system in the 50s and 60s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.