U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 12:22 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,241,442 times

Advertisements

The Arkansas River flows from Colorado through Kansas and Oklahoma into Arkansas. The section within Kansas is officially pronounces "ar-KAN-zus river", and it flows through "ar-KAN-zus-city, Kansas).

There is also a Miami County in Kansas, pronounced "my-AM-ma", and also the town of Leoti Kansas is pronounced "lee-OH-ta". Many old-timers still pronounce Cincinnati as if it ended with an A, as do many Missourians pronounce Missouri with an A at the end. Most other Kansas names are pretty straightforward, except Neodesha = ne-OH-de-shay. Both Kansas and Nebraska have a Nemaha County, just 15 miles apart. But in Kansas it's KNEE-ma-haw and in Nebraska with NEMM-a-haw.. Also, in suburban Kansas City, Olathe Kansas is pronounced a-LAY-tha (TH as in 'thin'). Salina Kansas is sa-LYE-na (but sa-LEEN-us in California) and El Dorado has a long A in Kansas (and Arkansas),
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2008, 05:29 AM

8,904 posts, read 13,655,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Along the other X, it's betwen Ripon ("Rippin'") and Horicon (two syllables: HOAR-kin).
There's a Ripon in England so I'm familiar with that one.

In PA, I think "Schuylkill" is one that some people from outside the area struggle with: Schuylkill River - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (SKOO-kull)
There's a lot of places in the Philly area that come from Native American names which are sometimes hard to pronounce if you're not familiar with them but some are fairly phonetic. Like I think Conshohocken is pretty phonetic.

Old 10-25-2008, 06:15 AM

8,629 posts, read 8,527,719 times
TRIPOLI Iowa. I think the world would say it tripolee but those hicks say tripoAlA another is Neveda Iowa but even the folks in that state can't decide which way to pronounce that one....

Old 10-25-2008, 09:27 AM

721 posts, read 2,352,108 times
When I lived in Seattle, people always could not say these city names. Issaquah (iss-ah-kwah), Snoqualmie (snow-kwah-alm-ee), Puyallup (pew-al-up).

Old 10-25-2008, 09:51 AM

5,643 posts, read 7,446,834 times
Tucson -

It has been stated that the area known as Tucson was originally inhabited by Paleo-Indians around 12,000 years ago, perhaps one of the oldest continuously inhabited cities or areas in the U.S. It was settled by the Hohokam Indians around 300 B.C.-1400 A.D. The Papago Indians (descendants of the Hohokam) referred to their village as Stjukshon or the O'Odham name Cuk Son, and then later the English name came from the Spanish name of San Cosmo de Tucson, named after Father Eusebio Kino, a Spanish Jesuit missionary from Europe, who came up from Mexico in the late 1600's. The Royal Spanish Army later established the Presidio of San Agustín del Tucsón, and the town later become just Tucson.

Cuk Son was pronounced - "chook shown"
Tucson today is pronounced - "too sahn"

Many people misspell Tucson as Tuscon or Tuscan

It has also been pronounced "tuk-sin" or "tus-kin"

Old 10-25-2008, 09:54 AM

12,172 posts, read 15,452,005 times
Prescott Az is pronounced Preskit

Old 10-25-2008, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
TRIPOLI Iowa. I think the world would say it tripolee but those hicks say tripoAlA another is Neveda Iowa but even the folks in that state can't decide which way to pronounce that one....
Nevada, Missouri, is ne-VAY-da.

Many well-known foreign place names in the US are pronounced different from their eponyms. Tivoli TX is TYE-VOLE-e. Ronald Reagan's birthplace, Tampico IL, is TAMM-pi-co. Berlin WI is accented on the first syllable. New Madrid MO is MADD-rid. Nearby Hayti MO is HAY-TYE. Most Milans are MYE-lin. Lima OH is LYE-ma. Versailles KY is ver-SAILZ. Vienna IL is VYE-enna. Calais ME is CAL-us. Palestine TX ends with STEEN.

In Wisconsin, the town of Couderay is near the shores of Lac Courte Oreilles---both pronounced the same. The counties of Pondera MT and Pend Oreilles WA are pronounced the same. PON-der-RAY.

Last edited by jtur88; 10-25-2008 at 10:34 AM..

Old 10-25-2008, 09:57 AM

15,847 posts, read 30,353,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Are there any towns or places nbear where you live that outsiders almost always pronounce wrong?

The town I come from, Waupun (Wisconsin) is pronounced as if it rhymes with the friendly inviation "Hop on!". Nobody who is not born and raised there ever learns to get it quite right. It's right between Fond du Lac (neither D is pronounced: "FON' 'a Lac", and Beaver Dam (accented on first syllable only). Along the other X, it's betwen Ripon ("Rippin'") and Horicon (two syllables: HOAR-kin).
Yeah. We have Nevada (Na-Vay-Da) and El Dorado Springs (Dor-AY-do). Next door there is Miami (OK) (Mi-am-UH), and the true locals call Nixa, Missouri, Nixie. Sometimes we go and buy a Sodie to drink in Nixie. LOL

20yrsinBranson (Miss-ur-ahhh)

Old 10-25-2008, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
and the true locals call Nixa, Missouri, Nixie. Sometimes we go and buy a Sodie to drink in Nixie. LOL

20yrsinBranson (Miss-ur-ahhh)
Nixa---hometown of the great Mickey Owen, the Dodger catcher who lost the World series by dropping a third strike.

Old 10-25-2008, 10:11 AM

2,779 posts, read 6,685,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Taliaferro County (GA) is pronounced "tolliver".
Now that's interesting. The same name which is the name of a street here in Shreveport is pronounced " Tal yuh fare oh" ; also there are some people here with that surname. Probably have a Georgia ancestry since I have never heard that name elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or