U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 02:41 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,922,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Here are a few more counties that are proununced differently in different states:
DeKalb: de-COBB in GA, de-KALB in IL, de-CAB in AL and MO
Wrong, in Atlanta it's pronounced like the one AL and MO (the one in the bold).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2008, 03:36 PM

2,257 posts, read 6,970,506 times
Quote:
Here are a few more counties that are proununced differently in different states:
Beaufort: BOE-fert in NC, BYOU-fert in SC
Coos: ko-AHSS in NH, rhymes with goose in OR
DeKalb: de-COBB in GA, de-KALB in IL, de-CAB in AL and MO
Steuben: STOO-bin in NY, stoo-BENN in IN.

I made a webpage a long time ago with county pronunciations, at Pronunciation Guide: USA Counties
Very interesting, although I just wanted to point out that Coos County, NH is pronounced with the stress on the first syllable: KO-awss.

Old 10-25-2008, 03:40 PM

4,465 posts, read 7,017,183 times
Quote:
Are there any towns or places nbear where you live that outsiders almost always pronounce wrong?

The town I come from, Waupun (Wisconsin) is pronounced as if it rhymes with the friendly inviation "Hop on!". Nobody who is not born and raised there ever learns to get it quite right. It's right between Fond du Lac (neither D is pronounced: "FON' 'a Lac", and Beaver Dam (accented on first syllable only). Along the other X, it's betwen Ripon ("Rippin'") and Horicon (two syllables: HOAR-kin).

I've also heard "Fon DEW Lac in southern Wisc.

In SC, the town of "Huger" is a give away. It's named after a family of Huguenots, and pronounced "Yewgee".

Old 10-25-2008, 07:47 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,241,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoFan View Post
Thanks. My informant might have been confusing it with the adjacent Cobb County. Thanks also for the Coos NH. I was born in Fond DEW Lac, and I can assure you, that such a pronunciation would arouse great laughter there.

Old 10-25-2008, 09:42 PM

4,800 posts, read 10,575,985 times
Spokane, WA is frequently mispronounced by people from other parts of the country. While it looks like Spo-cane it's actually pronunced Spo-can.

Old 10-25-2008, 10:29 PM

6,488 posts, read 16,152,784 times
New Jersey has some fun ones.

Moonachie = MOO-knock-ey
Bogota = buh-GO-duh
Tonnele = TUH-nuh-lee
Newark = Nork
Bernards = BUR-nerds
Passaic = puh-SAY-ick
Kearny = CAR-nee
Metuchen = meh-TOUCH-in
Bayonne = Bay-OWN
Secaucus = SEE-caw-cuss
Trenton = TREH-in

Old 10-26-2008, 12:01 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,241,442 times
Is your pronunciation of Trenton just the way locals slur it?

The best local corruption I ever heard was a guy in Newfoundand who started telling me about "Prong-co". I finally figured out that he was talking about Upper Island Cove.

Old 10-26-2008, 12:34 AM

6,488 posts, read 16,152,784 times
Quote:
Is your pronunciation of Trenton just the way locals slur it?

The best local corruption I ever heard was a guy in Newfoundand who started telling me about "Prong-co". I finally figured out that he was talking about Upper Island Cove.
Everything on the list is written out as my interpretation of how most people in Northern/Central Jersey generally pronounce them.

Old 02-07-2019, 10:03 AM

11 posts, read 7,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Yeah. We have Nevada (Na-Vay-Da) and El Dorado Springs (Dor-AY-do). Next door there is Miami (OK) (Mi-am-UH), and the true locals call Nixa, Missouri, Nixie. Sometimes we go and buy a Sodie to drink in Nixie. LOL

20yrsinBranson (Miss-ur-ahhh)
Ran across this article some time ago: https://www.riverfronttimes.com/news...wFullText=true

But it didn't mention El Dorado Springs, so when I was watching the coverage of last night's tornado warning (yes, in the first week of February) and the meteorologist talked about ice up in El Doraydo Springs, I had to do multiple double-takes before believing what I'd heard.

I had to Google to make sure he wasn't just being wrong himself (it's been known to happen among news reporters ), and this thread popped up.

There are lots of annoying things about living in SW Missouri, but the frustratingly wrong pronunciations of so many local places is high up on the list!!

Old 02-07-2019, 10:34 AM

23,063 posts, read 35,020,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Alleyne View Post
I'm a native of DeKalb County, GA and I've never heard it pronounced de-COBB. It's de-CAB.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or