Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 05:57 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,922,658 times

Advertisements

Detroit actually has around 917,000 and had 344 homicides in 2008. Chicago was not the murder capital no matter which way you look at it. NYC had more homicides, and there were many cities that had higher per capita rates than Chicago.

Heres a good article about a lot of large cities' homicide totals of 2008: Homicides Down In Detroit, Cleveland, Baltimore, Philadelphia and Los Angeles In 2008 - cbs2.com (http://cbs2.com/national/homicides.murder.rates.2.899284.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 06:25 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,520,885 times
Detroit is much closer to 815,000 than 915,000 see recent estimates. Obviously everyone doesn't know detroit is the real murder capital this as there are people saying Chicago or Irvington are the murder capital. Cle440 look at Detroit yes site there are discussion of what Detroit's population really is - people are fleeing. Here's another twist in the numbers. A recent article on how understaffed the Detroit police dept was illustrated how a guy went to the Detroit Police Dept to report and confess. The officers were too slow and too busy to deal with him, so he took a bus to Toledo and reported it to the police there. Unbelievable ! However it is clear that Detroit does not process all its homicides as homicides. Basic forensic lab work sometimes takes 17 months. I think people who have been to both Chicago and Detroit recently would be quick to say which is more dangerous.

Super Mario "rates" are the proper way to talk about crime and demographics. Take an elementary statistics course. Here is a good example.

Loving County Texas can claim it has the lowest teen pregnancy rate in the US or the world. There were no teen pregnancies there for the past year. Maybe they should brag about it or you can write a post advertising it. Fact there are only 56 people there and I believe only a few teenage girls. Now if one of those girls went for Christmas Vacation to Brooks County Texas, which has a high teen pregnancy rate and "when in Rome lol" and she came back pregnant Loving County would have the HIGHEST teen pregnancy rate in the Universe. This is why RATEs are necessary.

Got it?

let me give you one more example. Using your logic California would have the most murderers so you would say its the most dangerous state, it also has the most people who have not been convicted of a felony so you can say its the safest state. It probably has the most college graduates so you might say its the Smartest state but it also has the largest amount of non graduates - so you could also say its the dumbest state.

Got it?

Old 01-03-2009, 06:37 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,470,414 times
Caracas Venezuela had 510 murders just in December. YIKES!

No surprise Caracas named 'murder capital of world' - CNN.com

Old 01-03-2009, 11:09 PM

3,047 posts, read 9,032,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
The original poster lacks both intelligence and integrity.

Detroit with a population of about 815,000 had 396 murders last year compare that to Chicago having 32 more murders and how many million more people. Posters such as this should get a basic- like 5th grade education in the use of statistics -- or maybe just how to count-before they litter the message boards.
Right here what we have is a case of someone who is bitter about the world and looking to pick a fight because of the last one they lost. if this person only knew who I was and who I work with they would realize that I have multiple degrees and could beat him in a street match. I have no idea why he decided to latch on to this post...one of thousands...but se la vee.

Old 01-03-2009, 11:26 PM

1,577 posts, read 5,686,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
Detroit is much closer to 815,000 than 915,000 see recent estimates. Obviously everyone doesn't know detroit is the real murder capital this as there are people saying Chicago or Irvington are the murder capital. Cle440 look at Detroit yes site there are discussion of what Detroit's population really is - people are fleeing. Here's another twist in the numbers. A recent article on how understaffed the Detroit police dept was illustrated how a guy went to the Detroit Police Dept to report and confess. The officers were too slow and too busy to deal with him, so he took a bus to Toledo and reported it to the police there. Unbelievable ! However it is clear that Detroit does not process all its homicides as homicides. Basic forensic lab work sometimes takes 17 months. I think people who have been to both Chicago and Detroit recently would be quick to say which is more dangerous.

Super Mario "rates" are the proper way to talk about crime and demographics. Take an elementary statistics course. Here is a good example.

Loving County Texas can claim it has the lowest teen pregnancy rate in the US or the world. There were no teen pregnancies there for the past year. Maybe they should brag about it or you can write a post advertising it. Fact there are only 56 people there and I believe only a few teenage girls. Now if one of those girls went for Christmas Vacation to Brooks County Texas, which has a high teen pregnancy rate and "when in Rome lol" and she came back pregnant Loving County would have the HIGHEST teen pregnancy rate in the Universe. This is why RATEs are necessary.

Got it?

let me give you one more example. Using your logic California would have the most murderers so you would say its the most dangerous state, it also has the most people who have not been convicted of a felony so you can say its the safest state. It probably has the most college graduates so you might say its the Smartest state but it also has the largest amount of non graduates - so you could also say its the dumbest state.

Got it?

You get so worked up on it all its kinda funny

Um so you're tellin me that Detroits population droped a whopping 11% in 1 year.. its just hard to believe that in 2007 its population was 915K and your sayin its 815K now. where did all those 100,000 ppl flee to, think of the uhal and penske etc. businesses !

and anyway, almost all cities dont record all of the murders or whatever kind of crime.. Lets not believe that only Detroit dosn't keep track.

Yes Detroit is really bad with murder rates, probably the worst.
but to try to ignore the fact that Irvington and Chicago aren't near as bad is kind of ridiculous.

you want the whole thread talkin about Detroit?? 1 or 2 people can state that Detroit and its murder counts are very high, but we get the point.. now let ppl name other cities that top the chaarts.

Old 01-04-2009, 12:04 AM

2,601 posts, read 8,520,885 times
A1 Its a poor excuse that because you write many posts you shouldn't be responsible. Your run-on sentences demonstrate all those degrees you brag about. The fact instead of admitting that your math was faulty - you bragged about where you work etc.

Why it bothers me, is that city-data is basically a statistics-demographics site- so people should attempt to be accurate.

As for Detroit losing 100,000 in one year - the 2007 population was most likely a Jan 1, 2007 estimate so its more a two year loss. Remember that there have been thousands of jobs eliminated by the auto industry meltdown and almost no new jobs in Detroit. This month Detroit once again led the nation in the month-to-month decline in housing prices as realtors report there are just no buyers. Currently there are many houses in fairly decent shape selling for $5 a square foot. The estimates now and then are not exact, but I referred you to the Detroit-yes site where most believe the population is way way down. You say its hard to believe but have you checked? Detroit is an urban prairie and there are estimates that 100,000 houses are abandoned.. Wonder how the census deals with that. Actually for the 1980 Census I was in charge of 1/4 of Clark County Nevada, and my census takers were not above making estimates when no one was home.

The CQ (Congressional Quarterly ) Press recently came out with its city crime rankings.

Detroit is #1 with a 407 combined score (higher = more crime) St Louis is #2. Camden in that estimate Detroit had 884,000 people.

The original poster should have just said " Chicago has had lots of homicides this year" instead of Flaming to get attention.

Last edited by ocean2026; 01-04-2009 at 12:16 AM..

Old 01-04-2009, 12:22 AM

2,653 posts, read 5,960,487 times
Irvington is very small & basically a "borough" of Newark (although not technically). It's a statistical anomaly & all part of the same sickness that plagues "greater Newark" (Irvington, East Orange, Newark).
While Irvington is bad, it's far too small to register on the radar. It's ridiculous to call Irvington the most murderous. If the guy decided to shoot someone a few blocks down the street, it would be Newark's murder.

Old 01-04-2009, 12:35 AM

1,577 posts, read 5,686,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
Irvington is very small & basically a "borough" of Newark (although not technically). It's a statistical anomaly & all part of the same sickness that plagues "greater Newark" (Irvington, East Orange, Newark).
While Irvington is bad, it's far too small to register on the radar. It's ridiculous to call Irvington the most murderous. If the guy decided to shoot someone a few blocks down the street, it would be Newark's murder.
Yes true, but if your talking about towns under 75,000... it tops charts

and

I dont base a huge city on the amount the murders it has, its about the ration.. duh the bigger a city gets the more murders it will have. I go by Per Capita.
lets take a look at chicago and Irvington fro example, when they are compared by using "RATIONS PER 100,000" to determine which is worse.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

It Says
(This is 2006, so its not too recent)
murders per 100,000 in the cities of Irvington and Chicago
Chicago- 16
Irvington- 36

Thats like saying You have a 0.35% chance of being murdered in irvington and having a chance of 0.16% in chicago.

Because yes, 428 murders in chicago is A LOT, and it sounds a lot worst than 22 murders in irvington.. but that dosnt automatically make it more dangerous. You have a bigger chance of being murdered in Irvington with 60,000 people then being murdered in chicago with near 3 million. And im not saying Chicago is not dangerous, im just saying THE MOST Dangerous cities arent always big cities.

But for one thing, Detroit is the worst... i never said it wasn't. It was just already said.

Sorry about all the blabbing, i was just trying to explain it the best i can

Last edited by Yac; 02-24-2009 at 06:23 AM..

Old 01-04-2009, 01:09 AM

2,653 posts, read 5,960,487 times
Technicality does not sway my position.
A few blocks here or there on Sanford Ave makes a drastic difference in a small city like Irvington's murder rate. If one person gets murdered in a small farm town of 25, the stats woulkd make it seem very dangerous, no?
It's more accurate of the overall picture when you deal in large numbers.
Combine Irvington, East Orange, Newark's population & murders & you start to get a more clear picture of the overall feel of the area.
If Newark, EO & Irvington were not so close to the biggest city in the country, they would be one city. Irvington's border is arbatrary. They are one city in "real" terms. It might be a more dangerous section of "greater Newark", but to deal with it as a seperate entity is just twisting numbers.

Old 01-04-2009, 10:29 AM

3,070 posts, read 11,922,658 times
ocean2026,

The census estimates say Detroit has around 917,000 people, but I definitely wouldnt be surprised if it was under 840,000.

I dont really trust the estimates, because I will not believe for one second that Cleveland is losing more people at a faster rate than Detroit. Yes, Cleveland is still losing population and has many abandoned areas of the city, but Ive been to Detroit and as far as abandonment (vacant lots, boarded up and falling down houses), Detroit is much worse than Cleveland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.