U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 02:27 AM

4,489 posts, read 6,784,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
Ohio is a mix of urban, suburban, rural. Rich farmlands to heavy industry. Amish to Appalachian folks to all kinds of city folks. Birthplace of a bunch of former presidents (can't remember them all, but some were pretty decent). License plates used to say something like "heart of it all". One day driving time to over half the population in America. Historic Ohio river valley, Lake Erie, Dayton - home of the Wright Brothers. Lots of good universities. Lots of famous sports teams too. Four distinct seasons and a huge variety of beautiful trees. Socially and politically Ohio is a mix of what you would find across the USA. There is no single religious affiliation that dominates in the cities and towns - again it's a big cross section of our society. Ohio is one of those states that isn't in the pocket of the far left or far right, so they are a pretty good barometer of the mood of the nation at any particular time. That independence to me epitomizes freedom in America.
Quite true as i read this and thought about it! Good post!

Last edited by Blue Grass Fever; 02-19-2007 at 02:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2007, 02:47 AM

186 posts, read 847,193 times
Isn't Omaha, NE region called the "heartland"? just wondering?

I would say the heart as a funcion would be best represented by Washington D.C. as the federal government and its contractors are all in that region "running the country" overall. I was suprised to read in TIME magazine about how that area of Virginia is the richest in the country.

And if we are on the heart subject, I would also throw in the BRAIN of the country: New England (with all the ivy league schools and research centers).

Let's just hope noone will ever suggest Idaho, as the heart and Alabama as the brain, eh?

Old 02-19-2007, 04:21 AM

1,318 posts, read 5,391,807 times
vasinger beat me to it, but I vote for Kansas too!
Just the whole "vibe" of Kansas says "The Hearland Of America" all over it!
(And yes, it IS the geographic center of the lower 48! Well, outside of Lebanon, KS is! - north central KS)

Betch-y'all thought I was gonna say FL, didn'tcha?

Old 02-19-2007, 04:32 AM

4,489 posts, read 6,784,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfyum View Post
vasinger beat me to it, but I vote for Kansas too!
Just the whole "vibe" of Kansas says "The Hearland Of America" all over it!
(And yes, it IS the geographic center of the lower 48! Well, outside of Lebanon, KS is! - north central KS)

Betch-y'all thought I was gonna say FL, didn'tcha?
Still tryin' to figure out what 'Hearland' is?!

Florida? I thought i'd see more icons blazed/posted all over the post!

Thanks for replying elfyum!

Old 02-19-2007, 04:36 AM

1,318 posts, read 5,391,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
Still tryin' to figure out what 'Hearland' is?!

Florida? I thought i'd see more icons blazed/posted all over the post!

Thanks for replying elfyum!
Woops! A rare non checked typo... Gotta happen some time after all those posts!

Old 02-19-2007, 12:04 PM

3,020 posts, read 23,612,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
Another place that might fit the description is Ohio. I've never lived there but I've ridden a bicycle across the state. You get a certain feel for a place pedaling along at 12 mph, far different than cruising along in a car. It's also a great way to meet total strangers along the way and get to know what's on their mind.

If I had to tell somebody from another country where to visit in the USA to get a feel for day to day life in our country, Ohio would be a pretty good choice.

Ohio is a mix of urban, suburban, rural. Rich farmlands to heavy industry. Amish to Appalachian folks to all kinds of city folks. Birthplace of a bunch of former presidents (can't remember them all, but some were pretty decent). License plates used to say something like "heart of it all". One day driving time to over half the population in America. Historic Ohio river valley, Lake Erie, Dayton - home of the Wright Brothers. Lots of good universities. Lots of famous sports teams too. Four distinct seasons and a huge variety of beautiful trees. Socially and politically Ohio is a mix of what you would find across the USA. There is no single religious affiliation that dominates in the cities and towns - again it's a big cross section of our society. Ohio is one of those states that isn't in the pocket of the far left or far right, so they are a pretty good barometer of the mood of the nation at any particular time. That independence to me epitomizes freedom in America.
Very well said.

You start to wonder why is not Ohio the first state to hold a political convention? It would probably change the type of President we get. As mentioned it is probably more representative of what the USA is as a whole, in both geography terms and people with their varitability, including across the political spectrum. The size of the state and its population is important. IA nor NH can't claim to be representative of what the entire country thinks or wants. NH is way too small and far to much on the fringe in its ways of thinking. Ohio is old enough as a state to fit well in the Heartland mold but not old enough to have the hang ups of the first 13. A good Heartland state will not probably be too far out West or too far down South, got to have a character that most people can identify with or relate back to the past as being something to have value in molding the country.

You need a middle of the road type state without much baggage on any one type of issue, either now or in the past. You can still find a lot of towns with hitching posts for horses in Ohio. Buggy(s) are still acceptable on many Ohio roads. That has to be pretty Heartlandly by anybody's standard.

Maybe the Pols will make the designation a rotating type thing to please everybody. Like whoever wins the Super Bowl, gets to be called the Heartland State. But then the baseball guys would demand the same and they would have to have a playoff in another sport like speed skating. Probably woould charge a lot for the tickets which would make it a very modern way of deciding anything. That and a lot of ads for all sorts of junk products, maybe some high image promotions too.

H,mmm make the thing for sale, very American today, let the money talk. Naw, probably a bad idea, NY or CA would get it. Go back to Ohio full time, all the time. Winner has to have the merits.

Wasn't that fun, see you can have a great debate all by yourself go over the pro's and con's and still get the right answer.

Old 02-20-2007, 01:29 AM

1,020 posts, read 3,067,956 times
Ohio if I had to choose one state. Historically its probably done more than any other state has and had only a portion of the population of some of the larger states. Lots of states or cities claim a thing or two, but it all of those things converge at Ohio. Pennsylvania would be my second pick, followed by Illinois, then New York.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or