U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 09:03 PM

450 posts, read 930,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
You imply that people who would criticize anything are just a bunch of whiners, than you get all offended when somebody takes that personally? You're a real piece of work. I don't help anybody at all, ever. I would rather just complain about everything because nothing makes me happy. There is no possible why that criticism can be constructive.
You have what you have today becuse some belly-acher like me fought to ensure that your work was well-compensated. Work alone doesn't guarantee you anything, it never has and it never will.
I've never implied that or said anything specifically about you. You unfortunately have an attitude that you need to deal with, not me. I don't know you, and don't think you have ever done anything in particular to help me. I never said that people who criticize anything are just a bunch of whiners, it seems to me however that many of the threads contained here are filled with silly whining and bellyaching. Also, for the record, I'm not offended by what you said. I'm just curious to know why you feel that what you have fought for has caused my work to be "well compensated". What in your mind does well compensated mean anyway? My compensation is based on the value of my work to my employer and the agreement we have. My employment is "at will", I am not covered by any collective bargaining agreement. Frankly, if I don't produce I will be looking for another job.
From my very first post, you have been on the attack against me, that reflects badly on you. Personally, I think it is beneath someone of your intelligence to be so intolerant of another persons opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 05:55 AM

8,948 posts, read 13,734,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
You imply that people who would criticize anything are just a bunch of whiners
That's not really how I took it. I took it as a reminder for people to remember what they do have and not take it for granted. What is wrong with that? Thanksgiving is coming up soon and the whole point of Thanksgiving is be be thankful for what you have! Do you also take offense to the idea of Thanksgiving?

Old 10-27-2008, 06:17 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,494,554 times
Every human being is caught in a compromise, about concerning himself with the well-being of himself, and the well-being of the community. Today's American Liberals shift the weight of their concern to the comunity,. and Conservatives shift the emphasis to concern for themselves. Democracy, if it ever works, acts to enforce an equilibrium between the two extremes.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:02 AM

6,023 posts, read 11,941,549 times
Our country is like a drunken sailor. We wobble way to the left and just before we fall over we swerve over to the right. Then when we've gone too far to the right we wobble back over to the left.
A vote for Obama now that the democrats have control of both houses is like tossing the brakeman off the train and we will be steaming full speed down the left track. My crystal ball is in the shop so I can't say if this will be good for us or bad. My gut tells me that this is the wrong time to raise any taxes. The poles aren't very accurate and I think there are a lot of hidden votes out there. Damn I wish they would get my crystal ball fixed soon !

Last edited by Rickers; 10-27-2008 at 10:00 AM..

Old 10-28-2008, 04:37 AM

1,928 posts, read 4,642,661 times
I am quite thankful for everything I've gotten in life. I would agree that I have very little to complain about. But my concern is that unless I take action or do the 'right things' in my life, things can deteriorate fast. I'm very concerned about the track our country is headed on. Things won't be good tomorrow unless steps are taken today.

Old 10-28-2008, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Every human being is caught in a compromise, about concerning himself with the well-being of himself, and the well-being of the community. Today's American Liberals shift the weight of their concern to the comunity,. and Conservatives shift the emphasis to concern for themselves. Democracy, if it ever works, acts to enforce an equilibrium between the two extremes.
You have a very interesting perspective and unfortunately within the Conservative wing of our political system there are many people mainly concerned with their own concern. By the same token many very wealthy people donate huge sums of money to causes that benefit others. I think of Warren Buffett who has given billions to the Bill and Melinda Gates Fund. I think overall, the American people regardless of their political bent are the most giving and generous people on Earth. Thanks for your input to this thread.

Old 10-28-2008, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter73 View Post
I am quite thankful for everything I've gotten in life. I would agree that I have very little to complain about. But my concern is that unless I take action or do the 'right things' in my life, things can deteriorate fast. I'm very concerned about the track our country is headed on. Things won't be good tomorrow unless steps are taken today.
I believe that we all could use a little more humility and express the gratitude for what we have, as you have. In your thoughts what are some of the "right things" you have done or want to do in your lifetime? I appreciate your input to this thread as well. FYI, I have to confess that I am a reformed bellyacher. This thread that I originated is an attempt to build people up and not tear down where they live, what they do, or think. I guess I have walked a few miles in anothers moccasins--it changes you!!!!!

Old 10-29-2008, 07:58 PM

343 posts, read 459,842 times
We aren't commiting genocide and starving to death so that means everything is good in America!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or