Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 05:35 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,134,242 times

Advertisements

Since you mentioned VT and upstate NY, you might want to look into NH as well.

I would say that the overall economy and cost of living is better in NH than in VT, although it certainly isn't wonderful here either. But if you love four seasons, snow, outdoor activities, and easy access to large cities, it's hard to beat. Since NH has no state sales tax or income tax, most of the government's revenue comes from property taxes, which vary dramatically from town to town. Some towns have very high property taxes, so you have to do your research.

Pretty much anywhere in the state is within 45 minutes of a college. However, the southeastern part of the state is certainly the best for job opportunities. The state's largest cities are located in this area, including Manchester (pop. 107,000), Nashua (pop. 87,000), Concord (pop. 41,000), Rochester (pop. 28,000), and Portsmouth (pop. 21,000). The great thing, though, is that there are lots of small, traditional New England towns in close proximity to these cities.

I would recommend looking at towns east of I-93 and west of I-95 / Route 16, especially along Route 4. The other option is west of I-93 and Route 3, where there are lots of small towns with easy access to the cities. And all of these places are only about an hour away from the Boston area to boot. The farther west and north you go in the state, the more rural / scenic it becomes (especially in the Lakes Region around Laconia and further north in the White Mountains, the tallest mountains in the Northeast), but jobs are harder to find in these areas.

However, if you really like the outdoors, it's worth looking into these areas. Construction is a large sector of the local econonmy, as is hospitality (major tourist region). But regardless of where you live in NH, you're always minutes from a plethora of outdoor activity possibilities; it's also recently been rated the safest state in the nation and the second healthiest.

So, yeah, everyone likes to plug their own state, but based on your interests I think it might worth taking a look at NH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 09:48 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,960,698 times
Thanks Verseau, I will look into NH, great post! I appreciate all the help I'm getting from everyone.There's so many choices!

Old 10-27-2008, 10:15 AM

28 posts, read 76,083 times
We needed to get out of Colorado because of the cold (DH had a stroke). Were led to OK/AR through the internet. We found a 50 acres ranch with 2850 sf house for $150,000. Jumped right on it (it's in eastern Oklahoma.) The benefit was that we are 25 miles from Fort Smith, Arkansas which is still growing. There are factories, shopping, great schools, cultural events (nearly something every weekend throughout the year). The people are friendly and helpful and a joy to be around. Tulsa is a couple of hours away (great concerts). I have a son at the University of Arkansas at Fort Smith in the only interpretive history program offered in the country. They also have a really good business school. Fayetteville, where the U of A main campus is, and is only an hour north. They have a lot of concerts and events also. This past weekend there were 4 events in this area. Couldn't get to all of them. Check it out.

Old 10-27-2008, 10:17 AM

28 posts, read 76,083 times
PS The only thing this area doesn't have is snow (occasionally) and no skiing. But after living in CO for 10 years, all that snow is over-rated.

Old 10-27-2008, 11:27 PM

Thanks Sally, I'll check it out. We have actually heard a few good things about CO also.You disagree?

Old 10-27-2008, 11:30 PM

5,553 posts, read 6,719,542 times
Do you need to match your standard of living? If so, New England and the Midwest may be a little steep.

Old 10-29-2008, 01:22 PM

64 posts, read 279,509 times
I just wanted to let you know that I'm in the same position, we have moved alot and my husband works in construction too, we currently live in Indy the only thing wrong with it is no jobs in construction field, housing prices are soo low that no one can sell any thing, and no matter what people say there are things to do here just not enough stuff to do with kids. The median housing price just dropped to 67,000 and people are buying houses where the normally couldn't afford to live, so good areas are not so good anymore. The other thing is crime here is terrible and the cops just can't get control of it. Well I hope you find something, I'm trying to research areas too. Make sure you check out Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed, link removed to find out area info.

Last edited by Yac; 11-14-2008 at 05:33 AM..

Old 10-31-2008, 09:47 PM

I've heard how expensive New England is, but most of the areas I've researched really don't look any different than here, and most of them look cheaper. I know taxes are higher, and haven't really been able to find a definite answer on heating costs.But rent looks the same if not better, so we really just need to be where the jobs are and where I can finish school. I have heard wonderful things about the economy in ND and SD,but I just think it may be too far,but we're still checking it out.

And NLay, I hear ya! We were actually in Kentucky for awhile and heard things about Indy having a rough time and that was a year ago. I feel for ya.I'll keep ya posted if hear of any great places. I did hear Kalispell,MT had a lot of work, but not real sure of anywhere else. Here's to things improving and looking up...SOON!

Old 11-01-2008, 03:08 AM

27 posts, read 37,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happeemommee View Post
Hi everyone,

My husband works in construction, but also has warehouse and restaurant experience.
What type of construction? painting, carpentry, builing, drafting, managment, highway?
Has he had any kind of construction schooling?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.