U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 08:43 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,659,844 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

My family and I are currently living in Western NC and need to move. We would like a smaller town, within about 45 minutes to an hour of a larger city. My husband works in construction, but also has warehouse and restaurant experience.I have about three years before I finish school, so we need to be within about 45 minutes of a college for me also. We love snow and outdoor activites. We are open to just about anywhere,as long as my hubby can find work,I can go to school and the kids will be safe. We are friendly out going people that need a fresh start, but with this economy are not sure where to go. We were previously looking into Burlington,VT ( love the vibe / feel of it) Upstate NY ( love the mountains) and Morgantown, WV ( supposed to be a lot of jobs~ maybe?!!)

We really enjoy having all four seasons, but enjoy being able to pay the mortgage and eating in the same week. My husband will need to be within a couple hours drive to an airport, and of course good health care is important.

Can you think of good fit for us? Again, we're open to almost anywhere.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2008, 09:16 AM

5,721 posts, read 9,087,125 times
Try the Pittsburgh area. Cranberry Township and over at the PIT airport there is some real growth taking place. He may be able to find construction work in that part of the metro area and I've heard that restaurant jobs are fairly plentiful in some places with a lot of Help Wanted signs in store fronts.

Old 10-26-2008, 12:13 PM

ThanksWILWRadio,I'll check into it!

Old 10-26-2008, 12:17 PM

1,573 posts, read 5,650,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happeemommee View Post
Hi everyone,

My family and I are currently living in Western NC and need to move. We would like a smaller town, within about 45 minutes to an hour of a larger city. My husband works in construction, but also has warehouse and restaurant experience.I have about three years before I finish school, so we need to be within about 45 minutes of a college for me also. We love snow and outdoor activites. We are open to just about anywhere,as long as my hubby can find work,I can go to school and the kids will be safe. We are friendly out going people that need a fresh start, but with this economy are not sure where to go. We were previously looking into Burlington,VT ( love the vibe / feel of it) Upstate NY ( love the mountains) and Morgantown, WV ( supposed to be a lot of jobs~ maybe?!!)

We really enjoy having all four seasons, but enjoy being able to pay the mortgage and eating in the same week. My husband will need to be within a couple hours drive to an airport, and of course good health care is important.

Thanks!
Wow, other than the fact that you say you need to move from Westner NC, I would say that Asheville (in Western NC) would be a great choice for you. Is it a job related move? With the housing (and larger economic) downturn, construction jobs are hurting EVERYWHERE.

Old 10-26-2008, 12:25 PM

1,019 posts, read 2,484,302 times
Quote:
Hi everyone,

Thanks!
Well, I know most people like to promote their hometowns/states, but what you are describing sounds a lot like the western flanks of the Sierra Nevada. The foothills have tons of small towns (most old gold mining or logging towns) and many of them are within a 1-hour(ish) drive from the state capitol of Sacramento (and thus the airport, several smaller colleges, Sacramento State University, etc.). Prices are bottoming out here, and it's really a buyers market.

The scenery here is gorgeous, there are four seasons, some snow in the winter, tons of snow if you drive a half an hour east, and The City (San Fran) is only 3 hours to the west, with Amtrak service from Sacramento.

Anyways, just some food for thought.

Old 10-26-2008, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goozer View Post
Wow, other than the fact that you say you need to move from Westner NC, I would say that Asheville (in Western NC) would be a great choice for you. Is it a job related move? With the housing (and larger economic) downturn, construction jobs are hurting EVERYWHERE.

I'm not too far from Asheville and there are things I LOVE about that city, but this is just not a good place for us. I will always come to visit here though, we just can't live here.

Old 10-26-2008, 03:06 PM

9,951 posts, read 22,176,388 times
I've been hearing that the place to be for construction work is Texas. It's booming there according to many that have left Las Vegas for Texas.
Check out the Texas forums here and find out if it is really true. I know it's not in the general area of where you wanted to be, but for work, and being able to feed the family, maybe it's something to consider and then later you can move to where you really want to be. Just a thought.

Old 10-26-2008, 03:22 PM

7,131 posts, read 9,903,738 times
Quote:
I'm not too far from Asheville and there are things I LOVE about that city, but this is just not a good place for us. I will always come to visit here though, we just can't live here.
Hi again Happeemommee - I was the one who tried to answer your question about upstate NY and Vermont a few days ago on the NY board. It seems you are throwing a even bigger net out to find a nice area!

My question to you is what is wrong with North Carolina? Everytime someone mentions North Carolina - I do not think I ever heard anything bad about the state. North Carolina is IN right now.

Of course all states have problems and there may be family issues as well. Still North Carolina is beautiful especially western NC and you get good value for your money.

Whatever you decide --- Good luck again!

Old 10-26-2008, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Hi again Happeemommee - I was the one who tried to answer your question about upstate NY and Vermont a few days ago on the NY board. It seems you are throwing a even bigger net out to find a nice area!

My question to you is what is wrong with North Carolina? Everytime someone mentions North Carolina - I do not think I ever heard anything bad about the state. North Carolina is IN right now.

Of course all states have problems and there may be family issues as well. Still North Carolina is beautiful especially western NC and you get good value for your money.

Whatever you decide --- Good luck again!

Hi again! I remember your posts. I truly was all set to go to the VT/ Upstate area, but honestly I've been told some not so great things about jobs, etc. At the same time, I've heard some good things about Wyoming, The Dakota's and Texas. These places were really not on my radar and we really prefer to head up the east coast, as long as we can survive.

I know NC is "in" but honestly, after having been here for 8+ years, it's time to go.The state is dying, factories are closing up left and right, my husband can't get a job, the prices are outrageous! We're paying 1500 a month and our electric bill is never less than $250, and that's without running the heat or AC.We are in the Western part of the state and the schools are not great,real estate is not selling, but the prices are still crazy, I could go on and on, lol. But don't get me wrong, there are many things I LOVE about NC, and will always come here to visit. But for us, it's not where we need to live. I just don't want to limit myself in an area I "think" we need to be in. We made a move not too long ago that was absolutely disasterous, and just don't want to make that mistake again. I still think we could be very happy in the NE, but just need some reassurance. I know there are no guarantees, but just want to be as positive as I can be.

So, thanks for any of your input, I truly appreciate it! AGAIN! lol

Old 10-26-2008, 04:34 PM

5,812 posts, read 16,653,153 times
Have you thought about the midwest?

I know it's a large area, but there are towns there that could meet your needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.