U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 11:29 AM
Status: "Nobody's right if everybody's wrong" (set 22 days ago)

9,827 posts, read 21,130,434 times

Advertisements

I think DST should be all year round - who wants a 5 pm sunset in December?

I live in the far western part of the Eastern time zone, so I basically get 1 extra hour of evening sunlight compared to Nashville/ Chicago / Birmingham anyway. It doesn't get dark at the Summer Solstice here until 9:45 pm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2008, 12:54 PM

20,845 posts, read 35,927,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I think DST should be all year round - who wants a 5 pm sunset in December?

I live in the far western part of the Eastern time zone, so I basically get 1 extra hour of evening sunlight compared to Nashville/ Chicago / Birmingham anyway. It doesn't get dark at the Summer Solstice here until 9:45 pm
I like early morning light, and like early sunsets. You don't gain an extra hour of daylight with DST whether you think so or not.

Old 11-01-2008, 04:34 PM

1 posts, read 1,266 times
I work night shifts, 00:00 hrs to 08.00 hrs. Is DST adding an extra hour to my shift??I am confused.Pls help

Old 11-01-2008, 05:31 PM

746 posts, read 1,941,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamaya View Post
I work night shifts, 00:00 hrs to 08.00 hrs. Is DST adding an extra hour to my shift??I am confused.Pls help
I've worked a shift that covered that timeline before. Every company handles it differently. Sometimes they split the extra hour up between 2 different shifts. You will have to ask at your job how exactly they are handling the time change in your work shift.

Old 11-01-2008, 05:36 PM
Status: "Nobody's right if everybody's wrong" (set 22 days ago)

9,827 posts, read 21,130,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I like early morning light, and like early sunsets. You don't gain an extra hour of daylight with DST whether you think so or not.
You gain an hour of EVENING daylight because the sun rises one hour later and sets one hour later under DST. The one extra hour each evening for playing outside, bike riding, walking the dog, etc. Most people aren't doing recreational stuff in the morning

Old 11-01-2008, 07:43 PM

20,845 posts, read 35,927,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
You gain an hour of EVENING daylight because the sun rises one hour later and sets one hour later under DST. The one extra hour each evening for playing outside, bike riding, walking the dog, etc. Most people aren't doing recreational stuff in the morning
I like taking walks early in the morning. I see plenty of people out quite early where I am. A brisk walk really wakes you up when it is 20F outside in the morning. I do agree that the early sunset does not sit well with some people. I am at 43N and with the time change back to CST our sunrise will be around 6:30AM with sunset at about 4:30PM.

Old 11-01-2008, 11:48 PM

5,296 posts, read 5,204,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
It's fallback time, so we lose an hour of daylight. The reason for daylight savings time originally, was to have it stay lighter longer in the warmer months to save on electricity. The problem with that reasoning for us out west and southwest, it's super hot in the summer, so we spend more on electricity, running our air conditioning 24/7.
I wish they'd just do away with it and go back to normal, whatever that is.
Well you're not too far from Arizona where they think the same way

Old 11-01-2008, 11:49 PM

Btw I just like when tv stations do all that cool stuff at the change

Old 11-02-2008, 12:12 AM

638 posts, read 1,956,133 times
Mentally, I prefer the later sunsets that daylight savings gives us, but in this day and age I don't think it is necessary. Seems like an antiquated idea and its a pain in the a**.

What is really annoying is working with my employers other company in AZ. When I go to call them late in in the afternoon I never know if they are still open or not because I cant keep track of what time it is in AZ! Perhaps they have had it right all along?

Old 11-02-2008, 12:20 AM

I'd rather have the dark mornings because I can't see **** driving at night
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.