U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 12:27 AM

4,552 posts, read 13,451,261 times

Advertisements

since Arizona dosent set their clocks back does that mean that us here in New Mexico will be one hour ahead eventhough we are in the same timezone, or we must already be ahead or behind from the last time the clocks got changed, Im confused anyone wanna help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2008, 12:37 AM

638 posts, read 1,956,133 times
Arizona law does not allow clocks to be set forward in March for daylight savings so in the spring New Mexico is actually one hour ahead of Arizona and stays that way six months of the year (as does California and Nevada). "Falling back" is actually reverting back to standard time. As of Nov 2nd, we will on be back on the same time as Arizona. I think... yeah thats right.

Last edited by MR77; 11-02-2008 at 12:49 AM..

Old 11-02-2008, 01:01 AM

13,724 posts, read 9,836,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
It was enacted all over the world for one reason or another since then.
Daylight saving time - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Actually, it's not "all" over the world.
Since India, China, and most of Africa and South America do not use DST, we can safely say that over half the world's population does not bother with it.

Old 11-02-2008, 06:39 AM

3,326 posts, read 7,746,185 times
I could care less about being able to mow my yard at 8:30 in the evenings. I'd much rather be able to watch prime time TV without the glare of the sun.
I'd much, much rather have standard time year-round.

Old 11-02-2008, 08:56 AM

11,170 posts, read 22,361,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post

Since India, China, and most of Africa and South America do not use DST, we can safely say that over half the world's population does not bother with it.
Well yes, I should have worded that differently. I just meant it had spread to countries all over the world, not ALL countries of the world.

Old 11-02-2008, 01:33 PM

40,053 posts, read 30,514,706 times
When you get right down to it, DST is one of those useless things we just live with. Kind of like the Electoral College.

Old 11-02-2008, 05:27 PM

1,763 posts, read 5,379,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I think DST should be all year round
Ha ha. Think about it - in that case, there'd be no more daylight savings time changes.

What you're advocating for is a time-zone change. Just move one time zone over.

Old 11-02-2008, 05:47 PM

11,870 posts, read 32,895,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post

Well, all of China is in one big time zone, so I'm not sure we should follow their lead when it comes to setting time standards.

I personally love DST. I love having more daylight in the evenings. But I guess if I were a morning person I'd be against DST. When I do have to get up early in the morning, I hate it when it's still dark outside.

Old 11-02-2008, 07:04 PM

18,269 posts, read 20,585,286 times
Most of Indiana went to DST this year and I hate it! Northern IN I believe always did it but most of the state was like AZ we didn't change our clocks. We would be working outside not until we came in would we know it was 9pm and supper hadn't even been started. Then when school started it was tough getting the kids in bed when it was still daylight out. Now they get on the bus in pitch black darkness.

Our governor crammed it down the powers that be as "we needed to get on it for national and worldly commerce trade". That is so ridiculous by itself but to convince the state reps to pass it? Stupidity. They should have put it on a ballot but that makes too much sense.

Old 11-03-2008, 05:01 AM

1,928 posts, read 4,630,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Well, all of China is in one big time zone, so I'm not sure we should follow their lead when it comes to setting time standards.

I personally love DST. I love having more daylight in the evenings. But I guess if I were a morning person I'd be against DST. When I do have to get up early in the morning, I hate it when it's still dark outside.
When I go to work, it's dark outside whether we're on DST or not. When I leave home for work, there's still 3 more hours of night to go. So for me DST or not makes little difference. It's just a pain to have to reset all my clocks, especially in multiple cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.