U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 04:07 PM

45 posts, read 47,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
One of the main reasons we don't just use Daylight Savings all year-round and push back sunset is because many groups don't want children going to school in the dark if Daylight was still being used in winter when we naturally have the least amount of light. I know in Chicago the latest it gets light is around 7:20am. That would be 8:20am if Daylight were used all year.
Most kids in my area take the bus or get minivan-ed a few blocks to school.
I like DST because you get extra time to get outside and do things in the summer. In the winter it dosn't matter because the "old school mentality" 9-5 chews up all of your usable daylight

Isn't it great to drive to work in the dark and come home after work in the dark??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2011, 07:51 PM

20,849 posts, read 35,952,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmtb View Post
Most kids in my area take the bus or get minivan-ed a few blocks to school.
I like DST because you get extra time to get outside and do things in the summer. In the winter it dosn't matter because the "old school mentality" 9-5 chews up all of your usable daylight

Isn't it great to drive to work in the dark and come home after work in the dark??
I checked the sunrise and sunset for NH. Today the sunrise is 6:30Am and sunset is 4:21PM. Sunrise earlier and sunset is earlier than NY due to the position in the eastern time zone.

Old 11-07-2011, 04:51 AM

432 posts, read 793,064 times
I'm content with it how it is currently. 6 months one way, 6 months the other.

Old 11-08-2011, 07:51 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,235,859 times
We do not do dst here in AZ, I never have to set my clocks,vcr's,watches,stoves,microwaves forward or backward twice a year. I remember spending hours looking for the instruction books on how to set times for various devices when I lived on the east coast. I LOVE AZ

Old 11-08-2011, 08:21 PM

137 posts, read 496,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autism360 View Post
We do not do dst here in AZ, I never have to set my clocks,vcr's,watches,stoves,microwaves forward or backward twice a year. I remember spending hours looking for the instruction books on how to set times for various devices when I lived on the east coast. I LOVE AZ
That's what I hate about AZ

During summer it gets dark at 7.30 PM... way too early!
Yes, I know it's hot, but it's hot elsewhere + add humidity!

Old 11-10-2011, 04:20 PM

1,998 posts, read 3,034,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suryoyo View Post
Tomorrow, Daylight saving time ends in Europe and nov 2 in the U.S. & Canada. What does it really mean with changing the time back 1 hour?

Does the daylight extend an hour or an hour less? Does it makes the afternoon longer or what? Plz explain
NOT IN ARIZONA!!!!

No Daylight Savings!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.