U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is North Carolina the nation's most overrated, overhyped state?
Yes 27 31.40%
No 59 68.60%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 01:42 PM

1,293 posts, read 4,336,937 times

Advertisements

Raleigh is definetely hyped up. No downtown, its basically a LA stripped of its downtown. It has bad traffic, urban sprawl, illegal immigrant problems, its housing is getting pricy, there is construction everywhere and its almost impossible to walk anywhere.
The best thing the city could do is build a downtown then get some mom & pop shops. The big box stores are cheap, but they do nothing to the appeal of a city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 02:14 PM

30,239 posts, read 67,413,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese9988 View Post
Raleigh is definetely hyped up. No downtown, its basically a LA stripped of its downtown. It has bad traffic, urban sprawl, illegal immigrant problems, its housing is getting pricy, there is construction everywhere and its almost impossible to walk anywhere.
The best thing the city could do is build a downtown then get some mom & pop shops. The big box stores are cheap, but they do nothing to the appeal of a city.
People seem to like those sorts of cities though. Why I'll never understand.

Old 10-29-2008, 02:50 PM

8,376 posts, read 27,806,648 times
Yes, but only on City-Data.

Old 10-29-2008, 02:59 PM

29,910 posts, read 8,627,547 times
I like the mountains of western NC.....but the suburban areas make me want to barf.

I'd say Cary, NC is the most overhyped city in NC..

Old 10-29-2008, 03:32 PM

7,141 posts, read 9,927,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
It already is. This state has grown too much in the past 10 years, would love a slow-down.
North Carolina (and Florida of course) are not the only Southern states on the northern radar screen. I hear alot from my customers in Queens about Georgia - I assume mostly the Atlanta metro area?

If it keeps getting any bigger than Georgia might have to change one of her nicknames from The Empire State of the South to The Empire State in the South LOL!

Old 10-30-2008, 02:14 PM

956 posts, read 3,596,733 times
What has surprised me is the amount of attention North Carolina gets on this site. We have visted several times and enjoyed ourselves, but to read thru the posts here, you would think everyone in the country has been there. Also, somewhere on this site was a link to statistics showing the number of people moving to NC from other states. The numbers were absolutely amazing.

Old 10-30-2008, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtom45 View Post
What has surprised me is the amount of attention North Carolina gets on this site. We have visted several times and enjoyed ourselves, but to read thru the posts here, you would think everyone in the country has been there. Also, somewhere on this site was a link to statistics showing the number of people moving to NC from other states. The numbers were absolutely amazing.
You are probably referencing one of my recent posts on the NC forum in which I more or less said "The last one out of Pennsylvania please turn off the lights!" LOL! I showed just how many people were moving from our Keystone State into NC annually. Oddly enough though the NC natives don't seem to mind we Pennsylvanians suburbanizing their state. Their ire goes solely to the folks pouring in from NJ and NY. (Fine by me!) LOL!

Old 10-30-2008, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
I like the mountains of western NC.....but the suburban areas make me want to barf.

I'd say Cary, NC is the most overhyped city in NC..
Uh oh! Thou shalt not take the name of Cary in vain! I "roasted" Cary in a thread that was INTENDED to roast cities by personifying them, and a couple of women from Cary were apparently not amused. One sent me a nasty remark calling me "prejudiced" while another copied and pasted my "roast" into a thread on their forum in order to poke fun at me "behind my back" (although the joke was on them since I have more "eyes" and "ears" on this forum than they thought and stormed right on down to flip out! LOL!)

Are the people of Cary incapable of taking a joke? I mean, for God's sake I love Scranton, PA dearly, but not a day goes by where I don't elicit a few chuckles from poking fun at it. Are people in suburban NC really THAT boring if a "roast" gets their panties in a bunch?

Old 10-30-2008, 03:41 PM

7,141 posts, read 9,927,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
You are probably referencing one of my recent posts on the NC forum in which I more or less said "The last one out of Pennsylvania please turn off the lights!" LOL! I showed just how many people were moving from our Keystone State into NC annually. Oddly enough though the NC natives don't seem to mind we Pennsylvanians suburbanizing their state. Their ire goes solely to the folks pouring in from NJ and NY. (Fine by me!) LOL!
Sounds like people down south are blaming the wrong Yankees for their problems lol!

Y'all have a friend in Pennyslvannia. And he has two friends. And they have two friends. And so on and so on and so one! And they are coming your way LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or