U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 03:30 PM

2,775 posts, read 10,726,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
Why do people in the burbs enjoy being "peeping toms?" they probably would be shot in the ghetto.
What are you talking about? If anything, that happens in the city... Especially in cities like New York and Chicago where people live in buildings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2008, 03:31 PM

11,179 posts, read 22,403,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Do you really like the food at Chili's and Applebee's or just eat there b/c it's all you have? Or just don't know what good food tastes like?
I know, when I moved into Chicago from a suburban area, my first thought was, how can you not have any Chili's, Applebees, Red Lobster, Baker's Square, Ruby Tuesday, Outback, TGI Friday's, etc!?!?

Then I found there are thousands of restaurants and quick food joints, but most of them are family owned and private. I soon realized that I was more and more disappointed when I went to the burbs, cause it was a lot of the same places all over America with the exact same menu's. Here there are 4 different mexican places right near my house, but we can decide which one we want to go to cause the food is all different because it's different families that own them. Ditto with the Italian, Greek, bars, etc.

Initially I just kept looking for what was "normal", but you really just have to try a new experience every time and find which ones you love.

Old 10-28-2008, 04:07 PM

604 posts, read 1,667,722 times
and the suburbs have olive gardens
that place is pure class
you have to wait like an hour (no lie) just to get a seat, and u get called in with a coaster with a flashing red light
but there soup and breadsticks are amazing

Old 10-28-2008, 05:04 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,461,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I know, when I moved into Chicago from a suburban area, my first thought was, how can you not have any Chili's, Applebees, Red Lobster, Baker's Square, Ruby Tuesday, Outback, TGI Friday's, etc!?!?

Then I found there are thousands of restaurants and quick food joints, but most of them are family owned and private. I soon realized that I was more and more disappointed when I went to the burbs, cause it was a lot of the same places all over America with the exact same menu's. Here there are 4 different mexican places right near my house, but we can decide which one we want to go to cause the food is all different because it's different families that own them. Ditto with the Italian, Greek, bars, etc.

Initially I just kept looking for what was "normal", but you really just have to try a new experience every time and find which ones you love.
There are umpteen THOUSANDS of ma n pa joints all over Chicagoland, how could you miss them?!?!

And FYI, there are Chilis and Fridays in downtown Chicago, too. Same goes for Subways, McDonalds, and a quintillion stupid Starbucks.

Old 10-28-2008, 05:47 PM

3,628 posts, read 9,219,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Why don't you have sidewalks?!! ARRRGHHH!!!!
Someone PLEASE answer this question!!!! I've been dying to know ever since i had to dart across the bridge over I-94 in Skokie hoping that i wouldn't get hit.

Quote:
What are you talking about? If anything, that happens in the city... Especially in cities like New York and Chicago where people live in buildings.
Aren't McMansions buildings too?

Old 10-28-2008, 07:29 PM

10,234 posts, read 14,002,635 times
Can't help giggling at the comments of "not hearing gunfire". I live in Hillsboro ("the burbs of Portlandia"), and hearing gunfire at night isn't uncommon. We hear it pretty late at night, as we're up later than most of our neighbors. Lots of gangs here, but with the crack-down on graffiti it isn't as "obvious" to people anymore.

I work in Beaverton, and as far as I'm concerned, it's "the little city that thinks it's something that it's NOT." It's not a pretty town, has no character, the south side of it has some of the ugliest damned housing tracts imaginable, atrocious Home-Owners Associations, and neurotic yuppies.

At least in my own neighborhood, it's very modest (my husband refers to it as "the culdesac of low-expectations"), but nobody cares if someone leaves a few things strung around his front yard, or has a few too many cars parked in front of it. We all get along grand for it.

Old 10-28-2008, 08:39 PM

28,905 posts, read 46,785,778 times
You know what I hate about the 'burbs? All the polite children who work hard in school and don't commit random acts of violence. Man that pisses me off.

Old 10-28-2008, 08:52 PM

6,749 posts, read 19,965,769 times
I guess my area is a little different, we have alot of mom n pop places but they mostly all serve home-cooking.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:19 PM

48,516 posts, read 84,032,619 times
[quote=At1WithNature;5896051]Why do people in the burbs enjoy being "peeping toms?" they probably would be shot in the ghetto.[/

that is just when you are their becasue the l;ast trime you visited you stole keep trying to steal the hub caps on the mercedes mag wheels.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:35 PM

253 posts, read 1,505,982 times
How do y'all sleep at night with the size of your carbon footprint?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or