U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 09:43 PM

32,377 posts, read 55,182,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
Why do people in the burbs enjoy being "peeping toms?" they probably would be shot in the ghetto.
Oh Gawd, SOOOOO TRUE.

I live in Tiburon(suburb) but am originally from East Oakland. There is no way these people would get away with a tenth of the stuff they do here, back in the hood. My BF grew up in a similarly wealthy suburb of St Louis and he doesnt really see what I see when our neighbor(this elderly swedish woman) is peering over her fence. Probably hoping she'll see us having gay sex or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 12:07 AM

3,509 posts, read 7,317,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
Why do people in the burbs enjoy being "peeping toms?" they probably would be shot in the ghetto.
The suburb where I'm from is the complete opposite of a stereotypical suburb.

Old 10-29-2008, 12:14 AM

10,234 posts, read 13,989,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
What are you talking about? If anything, that happens in the city... Especially in cities like New York and Chicago where people live in buildings.
We had one when I lived in Aloha (Oregon), which is actually a community, not even its own town. He was actually a "weeney-waver" that exposed himself to my little girl from a window. It is still a chilling reminder.

Old 10-29-2008, 03:26 AM

5,694 posts, read 8,764,670 times
My question is: why do suburbanites get all alarmed after someone gets killed or hurt after engaging in risky behaviour (drug dealing) but seem to ignore the dangers of driving around in a car.

Think about it - in my small city there may be a drug related death every few months and headlines ensue. But a week does not goes by that someone does not get killed in a car wreck and it warrants a small blurb on page 2.

I'm not saying that either kind of death is OK, just why do suburbanites arrange their lives so they are in so much danger while maintaining the illusion they are doing it to be safe?

Old 10-29-2008, 07:27 AM

28,905 posts, read 46,745,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
My question is: why do suburbanites get all alarmed after someone gets killed or hurt after engaging in risky behaviour (drug dealing) but seem to ignore the dangers of driving around in a car.

Think about it - in my small city there may be a drug related death every few months and headlines ensue. But a week does not goes by that someone does not get killed in a car wreck and it warrants a small blurb on page 2.

I'm not saying that either kind of death is OK, just why do suburbanites arrange their lives so they are in so much danger while maintaining the illusion they are doing it to be safe?
That's easy. Because it's necessary to get in a car to go to work or the grocery store. In that situation, a death or injury is something that isn't supposed to happen.

On the other hand, overdosing and gang activity are apparently just part of the life of illegal drugs. The odds of death doing blow are much higher than the odds of death driving down to the Piggly Wiggly for a loaf of bread.

Old 10-29-2008, 07:30 AM

6,489 posts, read 16,161,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post

^Good question. Over 40,000 Americans are killed every year by cars.

My question is, why are the houses and McMansions spaced so far apart? Many are on 1/2 acre lots, some even larger. Do you really use all of that space for anything? When I look at a community like the one pictured below, I see lots of space between the homes. It doesn't usually look like very inviting space, or space I'd like to spend a lot of time hanging out in. It's usually just grass, dirt, a ratty tree here and there. It's not being used for gardening, living space, or anything as far as I can tell. Do you just have these big parcels "because you can?"

Old 10-29-2008, 02:29 PM

253 posts, read 1,505,364 times
I see potential for a mini-green revolution in McMansions. Eventually, they could house 2-3 small families and the lot they sit on can be used to raise food. Think Food Not Lawns.

Food Not Lawns - Cascadia Food Not Lawns

Old 10-29-2008, 03:20 PM

2,775 posts, read 10,722,972 times
I see nothing coming from those McMansions but a pain in the *** for the future. In 20 years, who's to say the style of them won't be outdated? Unlike the old village houses that many Americans live in on the East Coast, the new houses in new developments that are being built today have no character or anything. They're just houses. This is what I like about my town. My town is wealthy but not like wealthy towns across the country. NYC area towns, with the exception of many NJ towns, have great rich suburbs... The houses are old and big and have great character. There are new houses, yes, but at least they're built with a unique design. I was driving and I normally pay no attention to construction, but seeing as though I got stuck behind a dump truck, when it turned I took a quick look and saw a brand new house. It had detail and character unlike most new houses these days. It will be a great addition to the town, it'll fit in.

That's one of the million reasons the Northeast is so appealing to me. I don't know how people in Phoenix can live the way they do with all the racket from the construction. Who would want to live in a city that's growing at a speed in which they can't even control? That's what's going to kill western cities within the next half-century or so. Lousy planning, not many water sources, in the middle of scenic nowhere, and the automobile culture.

Old 10-29-2008, 03:21 PM

604 posts, read 1,666,838 times
i dont see that thing happening old surrender (maybe just smaller houses)
i dont understand why the average american home needs to be so huge
anyways mcmansions are spread apart because they let you have light from all sides and so you wont be stearing to your neighbors living room/brick wall.

Old 10-29-2008, 03:27 PM

2,775 posts, read 10,722,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken.or.the.nugget View Post
i dont see that thing happening old surrender (maybe just smaller houses)
i dont understand why the average american home needs to be so huge
anyways mcmansions are spread apart because they let you have light from all sides and so you wont be stearing to your neighbors living room/brick wall.
I hate light shining through my windows. It drives me crazy. I like the fact that NYC area suburbs have nice forestry, especially in Westchester County (where I live) and Fairfield County (CT).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or