Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 04:34 PM

604 posts, read 1,836,860 times

Advertisements

and to furturecop i agree so much
i live in an older part of a suburb, with huge lots, right next to toronto. Anyways, over the past years all the crappy old houses are being ripped down into the typical toronto mcmansion. Stone on the first floor with usually siding or stucco on the second, and they all have copper rooves over a curved window. THese houses are very expensive like 2 mill, but they all look the same (with a few exceptions, where people got good architects to build themselves a home as opposed to building one for a profit).

Anyways i wish we had some old suburbs with nice mansions, like chicago, nyc, boston etc do. Like winnetka illinois is so nice (thats where home alone was filmed). Most of the houses in that part of town (minus the lakehore which are new huge mansions) were built around the 20s. There not too big, maybe like 3000 sqft and arent on too big of lots maybe like 1/3 acre-2/4 acre but the houses are charming
heres a link to some pics in the neighbourhood
side shot on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/26009993@N05/2442553335/in/photostream/ - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 04:35 PM

604 posts, read 1,836,860 times
oh and im sure they plant trees in between the houses

Old 10-29-2008, 07:24 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,957,268 times
Geeze thank god Albuquerque suburbs arent the way some people say other suburbs are or on how some people see suburbs to be, our suburbs are way different, everyone minds their own business and is really friendly..

Old 10-29-2008, 08:27 PM

32,606 posts, read 77,254,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Probably hoping she'll see us having gay sex or something.
YEOWZA!!! You just gave me an idea on how my partner and I can give my own nosy suburban neighbors an eyeful!

Old 10-29-2008, 08:39 PM

32,606 posts, read 77,254,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Do you just have these big parcels "because you can?"
In short: Yes! Neighborhoods like those are devouring the countryside all over Greater Scranton nowadays (the influx of your state's natives aren't helping matters much! LOL!) Heaven forbid they move into a REAL neighborhood with sidewalks, trees, and the ability to get off your lard-encrusted rear-end to WALK to a park, playground, house of worship, ball field, market, ice cream parlor, friends' homes, etc. Most on here know how abhorrent I find most PA suburbs to be, and my opinion on this will NEVER change!

Viva La Scranton's "I Have Butt-Loads of Money So I'll Flaunt It In Your Face To Feel Better About Myself" Crowd!

WHHHYYY??!!!!!!

Old 10-29-2008, 09:01 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,197,417 times
WHY HASN'T ANYONE ANSWERED THE SIDEWALK QUESTION??

I was in a 'burb today, and there would be attempts at sidewalks, but they would end abruptly because the road curved or something. i guess people shouldn't assume that they can walk on curvy roads. super smart planning there!

Old 10-29-2008, 09:06 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,957,268 times
Newer Albuquerque Suburbs.. Albuquerque is one of the only cities in the nation continuing to build homes faster than anywhere else in america during times of the recession, anyways i live in a typical albuquerque suburb where the homes are closer than hell but beautiful becuase of the stucco.

Constuction on future subdivions, suburbs like these are taking over the metro.

and YES, Bostons is the best suburban food joint besides quiznos haha

Last edited by bradly; 10-29-2008 at 09:14 PM..

Old 10-29-2008, 09:09 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,786,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
WHY HASN'T ANYONE ANSWERED THE SIDEWALK QUESTION??

I was in a 'burb today, and there would be attempts at sidewalks, but they would end abruptly because the road curved or something. i guess people shouldn't assume that they can walk on curvy roads. super smart planning there!
most people have to drive to the places they want to go in the suburbs. if you go to the store you need a car because people in the suburbs buy in bulk and need a car to carry that stuff home. walking to a cafe or bar would be ridiculous because those are usually not located within the walls of gated communities. In the city you see people walking on sidewalks to get to public transportation like subways or bus stops. in the suburbs they don't have public transportation so they depend on their cars to get around. in the suburbs i've been to i have noticed sidewalks but those are usually there for people walking around the neighborhood for exercise or kids to ride their bikes on. they usually don't use the sidewalks to get to stores and restaurants or work.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:10 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,197,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
most people have to drive to the places they want to go in the suburbs. if you go to the store you need a car because people in the suburbs buy in bulk and need a car to carry that stuff home. walking to a cafe or bar would be ridiculous because those are usually not located within the walls of gated communities. In the city you see people walking on sidewalks to get to public transportation like subways or bus stops. in the suburbs they don't have public transportation so they depend on their cars to get around. in the suburbs i've been to i have noticed sidewalks but those are usually there for people walking around the neighborhood for exercise or kids to ride their bikes on. they usually don't use the sidewalks to get to stores and restaurants or work.
To me, it would make sense to automatically plan sidewalks in every development. I don't see how anyone could be "against" sidewalks. But, then again, if people want to be lazy and drive half a mile, then so be it.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:22 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,786,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
To me, it would make sense to automatically plan sidewalks in every development. I don't see how anyone could be "against" sidewalks. But, then again, if people want to be lazy and drive half a mile, then so be it.
many suburbs don't have places people want to go to in walking distance. In the city we can walk to our favorite stores and restaurants because they are down the street from us or the bus or subway station is right outside our door. but in the suburbs those could be miles away. People in the suburbs typically work 10 or 20 miles from their home. it would be ridiculous to expect them to walk to work everyday. and if they want to go to the mall it's probably several miles away as well. that's the reason i chose to live in the city. i'm within walking distance of my job and all the amenities i need. where exactly do you expect the people in the suburbs to walk to? the only place i can see it being logical for them to walk is to school and i think that many school children in the suburbs do walk to school or ride a bike. i just can't see people in the suburbs walking to walmart or any other big box store and then walk home with a cart full of stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.