U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 05:05 AM

4,286 posts, read 13,391,713 times

Advertisements

I haven't read through all the posts here but IMO, it's just like every place else. People watch T.V., which stereotype people and then because of ignorance people believe what they see. I moved to the south and there are some rednecks but majority of people are not. I lived in NJ and some are like the Sopranos but majority are not. I've been to CA several times and some people are fake but most are not, it's just stereotyping. That's why people shouldn't judge are assume anything about another person until they get to know them.

Old 03-08-2007, 11:20 PM

556 posts, read 1,937,467 times
I agree with Rapture...people are people whereever you go. Just for me, the South is home....

Old 03-09-2007, 12:11 AM

1,075 posts, read 3,245,272 times
Here's the scoop on red necks, it originated in the south so naturally the term will allways be associated with someone from the south.

way back when, farmers when plowing would wrap a red bandana around there necks along with regular hats also, but the red bandana would also help keep the sun off the back of the neck plus used to absorb sweat.

then as time went on the expression spread into other things just as all other things start as one thing then gradually expand into something totally different, as you can see there are many different desciptions for a red neck today.

Old 03-09-2007, 01:49 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,122,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msjbrent View Post
Northerners are NOT the only ones doing the "name calling" or sterotypes. The most ignorant people I have ever met are individuals (I believe that word should be "safe") from rural, poor Southern towns. They were the most rude, uninformed and classless individuals. I am talking about the types you would meet working at a gas station in rural Alabama or a high school dropout/waitress in coastal Mississippi. Obviously with a lack of education and growing up around poverty and everything that comes with that and without seeing much outside that; it is just not a surprise. Those individuals do not want to have any other kind of person around them. If you have some money, a nice car and know proper English... run. I am not being ****ty, that is just the way it has been.
You're talking about class, not region. You can find those exact same types of people in new york and new jersey.

Old 03-09-2007, 01:50 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,122,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
Welcome to life outside the "yuppie bubble". What an awful experience it must have been to mistake the word "Tomato" for "Tornado". You must be scarred for life. And the guy making conversation.. we should track him down and bring him to justice!

And shame on those blue-collar Alabamans for speaking non-standard English, and not driving expensive cars! Everyone should have the same accent, values, and social mannerisms as an upper-middle class Chicagoan.
Maybe its my misake, but I always thought there were plenty of blue collar people in the North- in fact probably more.

I always though the South was the last of the true bluebloods and Aristocrats. At least its that way here in Old Virginia.

Old 03-09-2007, 01:56 PM

3,042 posts, read 8,087,759 times
i guess everyone here lives in the richest part of the cities and suburbs and dont see farmers, construction workers, poor whites, driving pickup trucks, wearing camos, smoking, etc the stereotype.

I see them in Vermont, massachusetts, pennsylvania, New Jersey, New york, Connecticutt, minnesota, ohio, indiana, illinois, oregon, michican, washington state and even california

they are not just in the southern states

Old 03-18-2007, 03:09 AM

911 posts, read 3,248,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
Im tired of people thinking that redneck and southern is the same thing it isnt. Southern is laid back and in many ways more genteel than the North. Southerners are taught to have proper manners, and be hospitable. Also, we speak slower and not through our noses like some do in the North. Rednecks are just a class of people. But when I tell people Im from Virginia, they start making "redneck" jokes. Why?
Ignorance, my dear Vasinger, Ignorance and Bigotry...

Old 03-18-2007, 03:11 AM

911 posts, read 3,248,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confused and relocating View Post
I personally would never consider Virginia a southern state. I would think from the Carloinas down would be southern, of course I could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time.
This of course would be excluding Florida which is southern but, in a class all to its self.
Uh...
Richmond was the Capital of "The Confederate States of America"...

Old 02-07-2008, 03:34 PM

1 posts, read 2,157 times
Hi All, I was born in Florida and have lived here all my life. When I was little I had a pretty strong southern accent and so when I would go visit my cousins and relatives on my mothers side up in Ohio, I would always get made fun of for the way I talked. I worked on eradicating it to the point where people now tend to assume I am from the North.

An article I read some time ago seemed to me to clarify what a true redneck is. First, people like the Walton's are not rednecks, they are country folk. Country folk tend to be hard-working, bible-believing, non-smokers and drinkers, with high morals. I suppose you could classify Southern folk in general as country folk. True rednecks on the other hand, tend to drink, smoke, and are a good bit amourous and carnal. They are not overtly religious seeing how being too religious can get in the way of a good time. They are not opposed to gambling, playing cards, tobacco, liquor, cursing, fighting, like the country folk tend to be. In some ways they are the polar opposite of the country folk. They are not opposed to moonshine stills and are more likely to have seen the inside of the county jail and to produce illegitimate children than the country folk.

While no doubt the country folk live cleaner, more productive lives, can there be any question as to who has lived the funner?

Just kidding, SouthernStan.

Old 02-07-2008, 10:09 PM

11,873 posts, read 32,899,856 times
I think the OP has a point. In movies and on TV, if a character is supposed to be a redneck or ignorant, no matter where it takes place, s/he is given a Southern accent. Remember the Newhart show that took place in Vermont? The rednecks had SOUTHERN accents. IN VERMONT. And the NBC show My Name is Earl is the same, even though it takes place in California.

Of course, there are plenty of other stereotypes perpetuated by the media: mobsters all sound like they're from Brooklyn, blonde airheads all sound like they're from The Valley, and gangsta thugs sound like they're from Detroit.

I personally love hearing a thick Mississippi accent, the kind that just oozes slowly off the tongue so that words such as "more" and "van" become two syllables.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or