U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-19-2007, 04:27 PM

1,393 posts, read 128,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
It doesn't help when you have folks like Jeff Foxworthy and Larry the Cable Guy doing their bits ...
Well they are redneck right!!

Old 02-19-2007, 04:30 PM

1,393 posts, read 128,765 times
Probably the same reason they call Idahoians redneck!! People just like to label and half the time they are calling you something you are from being!!

Old 02-19-2007, 05:17 PM

339 posts, read 1,034,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amavel View Post
It's the same reason why if you live in NYC or LA you're labeled as a liberal.

There's no difference... except that being called a liberal doesn't directly discount your intelligence?

It certainly calls your good judgment into question. I would take offense.

Old 02-19-2007, 07:32 PM

699 posts, read 1,787,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
Im tired of people thinking that redneck and southern is the same thing it isnt. Southern is laid back and in many ways more genteel than the North. Southerners are taught to have proper manners, and be hospitable. Also, we speak slower and not through our noses like some do in the North. Rednecks are just a class of people. But when I tell people Im from Virginia, they start making "redneck" jokes. Why?
The best way to break a stereotype like 'southern = redneck' is to be certain that we don't FIT that stereotype. There will always be ignorance in every corner of the world regarding every issue known to man. Some people are just knowledge-challenged. But I like to think that when I meet people and they are aware I'm from N.C., they also notice that I'm not backwards, redneck, uneducated, etc...although I do drive a Dodge Ram, but I'm not into racing (sorry NASCAR fans) or 'rasslin' (not sorry wrestling fans) or hunting (no desire to kill anything). So far no one has ever approached me from that perspective, but I realize the stereotype still exists...as do many other stereotypes that target all kinds of groups. So we as southerners should be mindful of not offending any of those unmannerly, nasal-talking, liberal yankees...

The south definitely doesn't corner the market on rednecks or ignorance, just as northern states aren't unique in their rudeness. There are plenty of people born right here in Atlanta who could compete at the highest levels of rudeness. On the other hand, I've seen some rednecks while driving thru upstate New York that made Georgia rednecks look like school marms. The stereotypes just don't apply anymore, if they ever really did. So y'all quit it!

Old 02-19-2007, 09:08 PM

1,489 posts, read 6,346,874 times
Being a yankee myself, I know better than to think that Southern and redneck are one in the same.

In fact, I kind of had the impression of a more Aristocratic south. When I saw the movie Gone With The Wind, it left an impression on me.

Of course, I know Gone With The Wind was just a book and a movie, but lets face it, stereotypes are loosely based on facts. And while there are southern rednecks, there are plenty of people who fit the redneck discription up where I grew up, believe me !

I did meet many a Rhett Butler and Scarlett O'Hara when I was in the South.

But the thing I didnt understand was why the Southerners I met were still fighting the Civil War. Where I live nobody even talked about it. The Revolution, maybe.

But I went to school in Virginia for 4 years, and you never forget it.

And Ive been to other parts of the South too, and its the same thing.

I just wonder why they cant get over the Civil War thing. It happened over 150 years ago.

Old 02-19-2007, 09:32 PM

2,813 posts, read 9,435,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Charlotte View Post
The same reason Southerners stereotype Northerners. Ignorance.

I grew up in NJ and never really heard anyone mock Southerners. That is, until I went back to visit for Thanksgiving. All I heard from friends and family was fake Southern drawls and sentences starting with exaggerated "y'alls". It was very annoying.
"y'all" is the singular, and the plural form is "all y'alls"
I lived in southeast Virginia for one year and I definitely consider it southern.
I love Carolina accents though. They're sophisticated and charming.
There are some Southern accents I find disagreeable just like some Northeast accents I find disagreeable, but I won't mention them or where they are. It's not worth it. It's just a personal perception, taste.

My aunt from Galveston used to talk like this:
"Mercyyyyyyyyy!! C'mon in all y'aaaaaaaalllllls n' sit dOWWWWWn ere. Whatch all y'alls wanna drink now?...."
She was originally from North Dakota. I always had to stifle a powerful urge to slap her down.

Old 02-19-2007, 11:14 PM

1,489 posts, read 6,346,874 times
I think Virginia and Georgia accents are best.

But my least favorite are Alabama accents. And I mean of offense to anyone from Alabam.

Mississippi- on the other hand flows as smooth as molasses.

Old 02-19-2007, 11:28 PM

4,438 posts, read 5,069,143 times
North Carolinas' accents are thicker than syrup. That's the dang truth too! Try to imagine someone talking with a sticky substance in his/her mouth and that is a North Carolinan for you.

On the subject as whether a redneck and a southern go hand in hand, no way! All one needs to do is travel to Michigan in some parts of the state and it'll entirely dismiss the notion.

I couldn't tell you why people think a redneck and a southern are one in the same. Mass media with a sprinkling of ignorance, maybe?

Last edited by Blue Grass Fever; 02-19-2007 at 11:47 PM..

Old 02-19-2007, 11:40 PM

5,023 posts, read 10,879,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbedwire View Post
...But the thing I didnt understand was why the Southerners I met were still fighting the Civil War. Where I live nobody even talked about it. The Revolution, maybe. But I went to school in Virginia for 4 years, and you never forget it. And Ive been to other parts of the South too, and its the same thing. I just wonder why they cant get over the Civil War thing. It happened over 150 years ago.
Did your great-great grandfather fight in the Civil War? Other male relatives? Was your family burned out of their home during the war? Starve? Lose most of their possessions? Their livelihood? Even if they never owned a slave? Do you dig up minnie balls when you dig a hole for a shrub? Do you live less than an hour away from a major battlefield? Do people call you "redneck" and literally step away from you when you speak a few words? We are still acutely aware of the war because it took more than 130 years to recover from it. I suggest you go back and study U.S. history a bit more.

Last edited by Southlander; 02-19-2007 at 11:49 PM..

Old 02-19-2007, 11:45 PM

5,023 posts, read 10,879,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
I think Virginia and Georgia accents are best.

But my least favorite are Alabama accents. And I mean of offense to anyone from Alabam.

Mississippi- on the other hand flows as smooth as molasses.
OK...since you insist, offense taken .
Actually, each state has a variety of accents. (Not just the Southern states, any state). I suggest that you might find accents of south Alabama (known here as LA, as in "Lower Alabama" ) more agreeable. Those accents are a little more like New Orleans. Many of the people in the northern part of Alabama came here from Georgia and North Carolina, and more recently, from many other parts of the country and world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.