Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 10:45 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,345,337 times

Advertisements

Just thought I'd ask this because while I've driven through and vacationed in many parts of the Midwest (I live in it), I was wondering what some of the attractions would be outside of the major cities. The ones I know of for sure are the Ozarks in Missouri, and places like Door County, Wisconsin...Mackinac Island in Michigan, and the Porcupine Mountains, as well as Northern Wisconsin and Northern Minnesota. I'm looking for places that have a lot of great outdoor activities. The only Midwestern states I can think of that would contain these are Missouri, Wisconsin, and Michigan. If you could name specific places besides the ones I've mentioned, I would appreciate the feedback. I'm looking for places that would offer stuff either along the Great Lakes or Missouri/Mississippi Rivers, or hiking, camping, fishing, hunting, etc. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2009, 07:57 PM

596 posts, read 1,700,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Just thought I'd ask this because while I've driven through and vacationed in many parts of the Midwest (I live in it), I was wondering what some of the attractions would be outside of the major cities. The ones I know of for sure are the Ozarks in Missouri, and places like Door County, Wisconsin...Mackinac Island in Michigan, and the Porcupine Mountains, as well as Northern Wisconsin and Northern Minnesota. I'm looking for places that have a lot of great outdoor activities. The only Midwestern states I can think of that would contain these are Missouri, Wisconsin, and Michigan. If you could name specific places besides the ones I've mentioned, I would appreciate the feedback. I'm looking for places that would offer stuff either along the Great Lakes or Missouri/Mississippi Rivers, or hiking, camping, fishing, hunting, etc. Thanks.
Saugatuck, Michigan
The $4.49-a-Gallon Vacation to Saugatuck, Mich. - NYTimes.com
Attractions / Recreation / Entertainment (http://www.saugatuck.com/Businessdirectory/Business_listing.asp?Desc=Attractions%20/%20Recreation%20/%20Entertainment - broken link)
Mellowing Out in Saugatuck and Douglas Michigan - The Official Visitor and Tourism Website

Old 09-12-2009, 08:00 PM

15,853 posts, read 35,018,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
I am not an outdoor person myself, but it is general knowledge that there is lots of that kind of stuff around Branson. I know there is lots of fishing.

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-13-2009, 04:41 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,261,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by niceguy19125 View Post
Saugatuck, Michigan
The $4.49-a-Gallon Vacation to Saugatuck, Mich. - NYTimes.com
Attractions / Recreation / Entertainment (http://www.saugatuck.com/Businessdirectory/Business_listing.asp?Desc=Attractions%20/%20Recreation%20/%20Entertainment - broken link)
Mellowing Out in Saugatuck and Douglas Michigan - The Official Visitor and Tourism Website

And right by it is South Haven, Michigan. It is beautiful there!

Old 09-13-2009, 06:28 PM

26,376 posts, read 46,260,872 times
If you are looking at vacationing in the northwoods of the Upper Midwest I would recommend:

TRAVERSE CITY, MI and the LEELANAU PENINSULA. It is an absolutely fantastic area with breathtaking scenery. THe landscape is diverse with sandy white beaches, lighthouses, boutique shops, vinyards, orchards, woods, etc.

Another favorite vacation spot of mine in the Upper Midwest is the Brainerd Lakes region which include: GULL LAKE and PELICAN LAKE. It is more of a resort area centered around the towns of Brainerd, East Gull Lake, Crosslake, Nisswa, Breezy Point, and Fifty Lakes. The walleye fishing in that area is fantastic as well as a great selection of golf courses. The fall foliage is also spectacular.

Another nice vacation area is northern Wisconsin. Some of the towns I like in that area include: Rhinelander, Eagle River, Minocqua, Sugar Camp, etc. The fishing in this area is great along with a multitude of locally owned restaurants and bars along the many lakes. The fact that the area has few chains is what makes it appealing as well as the great northwoods scenery.

The final area I like is the North Shore of Minnesota. Some of the towns that are great to visit in that area include: Two Harbors, Silver Bay, Lutsen, Grand Marais, and Duluth of course. The natural amenities and outdoor wonders are quite amazing in that area as well as many attractions of Duluth along Lake Superior.

Old 09-13-2009, 09:25 PM

5,496 posts, read 9,440,487 times
Never been there myself, but how about Hocking Hills Region of Ohio - hockinghills.com - "HOCKING HILLS INTERNET GUIDE" ?

Old 09-14-2009, 12:45 AM

10,629 posts, read 26,638,574 times
Check out Bayfield, WI. It's a beautiful location on Lake Superior, and you can take a ferry over to Madeline Island.

On the MN side of Lake Superior are places like Grand Marais; it offers plenty of outdoor things in all seasons. I went on a fabulous cross-country skiing weekend there one time; there are beautiful trails in the hills heading down to the lake. I haven't been there in the fall, but hear that it's worth the trip.

I also second the Brainerd recommendation. That's classic Minnesota lake country. You can stay at one of the traditional resorts or rent a cabin if you want the real "up North" Minnesota experience.

Old 09-14-2009, 10:54 AM

279 posts, read 757,354 times
The nicest and most prominent (in my opinion) places in upper WI, MI, and MN have already been named. But since we're making a list, I'd add:

- Shawnee National Forest in Southern IL (yes, there are hills in IL - sort of)
- Lake Erie Islands off Sandusky, OH (Put-in-Bay, Kelleys Island) and Cedar Point Amusement Park

Old 09-14-2009, 11:26 AM

1,126 posts, read 4,549,405 times
Chicago.

Old 09-15-2009, 09:39 AM

4,671 posts, read 7,349,486 times
I second the vote for the Shawnee Nat'l Forest in S. IL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.